Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:36 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,001,365 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh, my best friend in the world is a lesbian. We've been friends for 19 years I think.

I've had all kinds of gay, lesbian, bi-sexual friends. I don't even really think about it. I'm so world weary or something.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:14 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,737,168 times
"If Only Closed Minds Came with Closed Mouths"

My best male friend's favorite saying...ummm yeah, he's gay, I guess this post would not be relevant to this thread otherwise.

I just don't understand, what difference does it make whether someone is born gay or straight, can't we all just get along?

I have many friends, straight people, gay people, bisexual people, transgendered people...everyone is beautiful and worthy of friendship in his or her own right.

I understand this thread was created to say, honestly, why or why not one would feel comfortable having a gay person as a friend...if it's not too off topic, my question is: why in the world would you not feel comfortable with it????

BTW, for those who would NOT feel comfortable: some gay people are still in the closet, what if one of your closest friends from many years came out to you? Would you still love them and hold them as dear to you as you did previously? Or would you dump that person as a friend?

Something to think about...

Oh yeah, and a drag queen saved my life!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:34 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,373,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Maybe God ABHORS the comparison of alcoholism to homosexuality...oh snap, did you just sin???
I agree with what Steven J Robb said, and I thought it was beautifully put!
There's no need to get sarcastic or nasty towards him holly. He was very open and honest with accepting others, loving others, admitting he sinned as well and was no better, but in that light, still holding true to his beliefs that the practice of homosexuality according to God is a sin.

Reps to you Steven, thankyou for putting it in a non-violent or harrasing way, that can break down your line of thoughts on the matter.

Not everyone will agree on this subject. I know many gay people that seem to have such a strong shining light inside themselves, and are a true joy to be around, but the fact of the matter remains, that as long as I try to live life by what God has said, they are wandering down a path in life that I can neither follow, nor support. It is not our place to judge other people, or condemn them in the eyes of society, but I won't activly stand by them and be-friend them as if nothing is wrong, no more than I would remain best friends with someone that got violently out of control with a drug habit, or alochol. A true soul wouldn't stand idly by and turn a blind eye if they cared for the other person in the slightest bit. Do I shove "God's rules" down every gay person's throat that I see? no.. I politely mind my own business, but perhaps I'm in the wrong there as well. I would rather be seen as someone that doesn't support being gay for my own private religious reasons, rather than be labeled as a God fearing fanatic.

Many gay people say it's not a choice, but the same can be said for pedofiles. Do the crocodile tears they shed on the stand after having molested a little 6 year old girl sway your thinking? Do you accept that "it's not my fault I'm attracted to little girls that aren't fully developed yet? It's just the way I was made!" No... I think not. Yet it's the same line any gay person would use in an argument "it's not my fault I'm attracted to other men, that's just the way I was made!"

Regardless, there is a time and proper place for fights between whether you think being gay is acceptable or not... I don't think the intention of this thread was to start any possibly inflamatory or harassing sarcastic comments, or possibly result in a political gay rights activist war.
Its very nature is against the Terms of Service.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:45 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,805,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post
Many gay people say it's not a choice, but the same can be said for pedofiles. Do the crocodile tears they shed on the stand after having molested a little 6 year old girl sway your thinking? Do you accept that "it's not my fault I'm attracted to little girls that aren't fully developed yet? It's just the way I was made!" No... I think not. Yet it's the same line any gay person would use in an argument "it's not my fault I'm attracted to other men, that's just the way I was made!"
[/u]
Sorry, but it just ticks me off when religious people try to draw a parallel between gay people and pedophiles. That is just insane. One case is a relationship between two consenting ADULTS. The other is abuse and rape of a innocent CHILD. There is no comparison. If there is a God, I'm quite sure he/she sees a drastic difference.

Last edited by rnc76; 11-14-2007 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Sorry, but it just ticks me off when religious people try to draw a parallel between gay people and pedophiles. That is just insane. One case is a relationship between two consenting ADULTS. The other is abuse and rape of a innocent CHILD. There is no comparison. If there is a God, I'm quite sure he sees a drastic difference.
Exactly. Excuse my sarcasm, but being a healthy gay adult is NO comparison to pedophilia, or alcoholism, as I stated before. That is a ridiculous, nasty, and closed-minded way of thinking. There's really no argument, only the difference between glorious, loving, open minds and....

if I didn't stress it enough previously:

Old 11-14-2007, 08:54 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,373,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Sorry, but it just ticks me off when religious people try to draw a parallel between gay people and pedophiles. That is just insane. One case is a relationship between two consenting ADULTS. The other is abuse and rape of a innocent CHILD. There is no comparison. If there is a God, I'm quite sure he sees a drastic difference.
I'm comparing the excuses that both parties presented tend to make when confronted for their actions. Nothing more. You can compare being gay/lesbian, to anything you want to. A sin is a sin. Lying, cheating, raping, bestiality, alcoholism, drug addiction, spontaneous shoe shopping ( ), jealousy, adultery, the list goes on and on. And God very clearly states that no sin is greater than the next.

What ticks you off more, "religious people" in general? or just the ones that contrast your way of thought.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:58 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,608,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Is this an open forum here? Or should people only respond if they feel exactly as you do?

Sounds like the OP wanted to hear from both sides of this.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 AM

Being gay is is a life, not a lifestyle. Back on track of the thread, how can anyone justify being uncomfortable to be friends with gay people simply because they were born a different way? It would be just as unnatural for a straight person to be with someone of the same sex, as it would for a gay person to be with someone of the opposite sex.

Last edited by johnycakes; 11-14-2007 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: trying to keep the thread out of the religon forum!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:01 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
I'm comparing the excuses that both parties presented tend to make when confronted for their actions. Nothing more. You can compare being gay/lesbian, to anything you want to. A sin is a sin. Lying, cheating, raping, bestiality, alcoholism, drug addiction, spontaneous shoe shopping ( ), jealousy, adultery, the list goes on and on. And God very clearly states that no sin is greater than the next.

Well, since everyone is a sinner and no sin is greater than the next, is it consistent to be friends with every other stripe of sinner except homosexuals?

I understand completely if you're just not comfortable being around someone who is gay, but I don't follow your logic about not being friends with them because you're condoning their sinning.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 AM

250 posts, read 937,442 times
N.B.: The topic of this thread is, "Straight? Are you close friends with a Gay or Lesbian? "

If you want to talk religion, there is a forum for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships