Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 04:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

Just returned from a wedding. It was a lot of fun. Good food, great band, lots of dancing. Yet, MrsCPG pointed out a cluster of six people sitting out on the balcony staring down at their smart phones. We're not talking a casual glance either. We're talking glued to the cotton-picking things.

It's something I've noticed a lot. People can't seem to leave the damned things alone for a couple of hours. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 04:58 PM

185 posts, read 242,047 times
Oh those gosh durn millennials and their cooky devices! I'm a millennial myself who is probably guilty of this behavior, it doesn't bother me when people are glued to their phones though, why would it? The only time it irks me is when it's someone who's actually being paid to pay attention to me, you know, like a cashier or waiter, otherwise I don't care. Sometimes that little mobile device can have a lot more to offer in terms of entertainment than any humans in the immediate vicinity.

Edit:
Oh and when people are driving, it irks me then too. I used to be guilty of this too but those commercials that feature victims of texting and driving scared me straight.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:14 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
It's not just the millennials --I'm a Boomer and it bugs me to no end when my friend of over 50 years and I get together (which only happens once every month or two) and she can't even put her phone away for the 90 minutes it takes us to have lunch and catch up. I can be talking to her and she gets this look on her face like she's suddenly been hypnotized or the mother ship is signaling her, and I realize that she's not even listening to me, she's totally checked out because her stupid phone is ringing. And then without a word to me she converses with the caller or reads and replies to the text and she is totally engaged with the phone for however long it takes. She doesn't even seem to realize she's doing it. I think it's rude, and it hurts my feelings, but since everyone else is doing it too I feel I would come off as a total crab if I said anything about it.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
It's not just the millennials --I'm a Boomer and it bugs me to no end when my friend of over 50 years and I get together (which only happens once every month or two) and she can't even put her phone away for the 90 minutes it takes us to have lunch and catch up. I can be talking to her and she gets this look on her face like she's suddenly been hypnotized or the mother ship is signaling her, and I realize that she's not even listening to me, she's totally checked out because her stupid phone is ringing. And then without a word to me she converses with the caller or reads and replies to the text and she is totally engaged with the phone for however long it takes. She doesn't even seem to realize she's doing it. I think it's rude, and it hurts my feelings, but since everyone else is doing it too I feel I would come off as a total crab if I said anything about it.
Yea you should tell her about it if it hurts your feelings and you guys don't even get to hang out that much as it is. That kind of thing never really bothers me when it happens to me though. Maybe it's because I'm just used to it? I think my generation is a little more ok with how detached humanity can be from reality these days due to technology more so than some of the older folks are.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:55 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Just returned from a wedding. It was a lot of fun. Good food, great band, lots of dancing. Yet, MrsCPG pointed out a cluster of six people sitting out on the balcony staring down at their smart phones. We're not talking a casual glance either. We're talking glued to the cotton-picking things.

It's something I've noticed a lot. People can't seem to leave the damned things alone for a couple of hours. What gives?
What's the problem? They obviously weren't interested in the reception (probably dragged there by a spouse), so they stepped outside. Weddings aren't for everyone. They weren't bothering anyone.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
I'm a millennial myself who is probably guilty of this behavior.
How will you meet new people when current friendships naturally drift apart as they inevitably do for various reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
When anyone does this to the extent you describe, I outright tell them to put their phones away. I sent my neighbor home once. She came to my house to visit and spent the entire time texting her husband because he was mad at her. Go home and fight.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:06 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
get use to it- its only going to get worse...

5 yrs ago at many dinner tables- on a holiday, a cell phone wasnt allowed, now all generations seem to have one..

these phones are peoples lifeline,,,

ive learned to really like my i-phone,,its a great camera, and takes good video,,,its gps,,,, connects to internet,,,,even has a compass..
oh, and it is still a phone too..

at family gatherings in the last few years, people are showing others pictures, sending funny youtube videos,,and also,,showing videos of their kids,,,,etc..

yep ,,we are phone-people , or better put- instant information people

Old 03-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How will you meet new people when current friendships naturally drift apart as they inevitably do for various reasons.
How do you mean? I've met a lot of people this past year and have managed to constantly diddle with my phone at the same time.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:24 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,887 times
Why would someone want to deal with a bunch of drunken losers they can't stand at a wedding? People go to weddings more out of social obligation than because they like people. I stopped going entirely but a lot of people get snared.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:40 PM

99,576 posts, read 4,492,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Maybe they were watching the March Madness basketball games? I would've loved to have one of these phones back in the day when clueless folks would schedule a wedding or other social event right in the middle of the tournament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships