Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
So much prejudice against cats!!! If a cat has been allowed to roam freely all its life, there is no way it is going to be happy trapped in a house 24/7. And why should it be, when it is the neighbors who can't control their dogs.

If someone threatened to trap my pet and bring it to the shelter, I would be furious. And trapping squirrels and relocating them is sickening. Your neighbors sound like jerks who would be better off living in a bubble where they can control their entire environment. I'd be willing to bet the squirrels and cat are just the beginning of their complaints and that there will be more to come on other issues.
This makes no sense. Why do you say it's the neighbors' problem because they can't control their dogs, when the OP is not even trying to control her cat? And you can be furious all you want, but where I live stray cats (and that means any cat that is wandering around outside its house) are frequently brought to shelters, where they are nearly always killed (even if they have a microchip). Did you know that the average lifespan for an outdoor cat is less than 5 years, while an indoor cats lives at least twice that? Informed people who care about their cats don't let their cats roam outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I told them that the outdoor cat has been living here for a lot longer than them and that this is his home. I can't stop the outdoor cat from being well.......an outdoor cat. I also mentioned that they should consider putting their dogs on a leash if they are truly concerned about them being run over.
Are you fracking kidding me??? I absolutely detest "pet owners" like you.

That outdoor cat gets in my yard and makes my dogs go crazy barking, especially at night. That outdoor cat climbs on my freshly-washed car with its muddy pawprints. That outdoor cat runs across the road in front of cars. That outdoor cat pees and poops in my yard.

Don't you give a damn about that cat? If you did, it would be an inside cat.

I'd have already called animal control, if my dogs didn't handle the situation for me.

Last edited by convextech; 04-23-2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
If your dog is going through an invisible fence then it needs a leash.
They broke the barrier because they were chasing your fracking cat!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:44 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

As far as cats who kill birds that is something that always has and always will be, there are also predator birds who will rob nests and kill, no different then a coyote killing a deer in the woods.
It is completely different. Cats are not native predators. They are not killing for food. They are non-native, which means they are not kept in balance by the ecosystem, and in fact disrupt it. They kill for sport, not to eat, and they kill more than any natural predator would. They are kept well fed, well energized and healthy by owners, so their behavior and kill rate is not at all natural for a predator. Also, since they are non-native predators, native wildlife has no natural defenses against them. Species such as mourning doves have not evolved in the presence of a small, ground-dwelling predator that can climb, so they fall to these predators at abnormal rates, as do many other birds and small mammals. So cats are completely different from other predators. They are not part of the local ecosystem at all - they are harmful to it. But it's not their fault, of course, and I have nothing against cats - just ignorant cat owners.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Cats are what's known as "free roaming animals"
I feel like I'm having an out-of-body experience.

The reason there are no leash laws for cats is BECAUSE THEY HAVE LITTER BOXES SO THEY STAY INSIDE!!!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Arent break-away collars ok for cats? I s/h been more specific. I would hope no neighbor would deliberately remove a neighbor's cat to another neighborhood unless they mistakenly think it's a stray cat (alth. then it s/b taken to a shelter so the owner has a chance of finding/reclaiming it), that w/b mean - but wearing a safe cat collar w/ an id tag and addy might help prevent it.
You're right....I totally forgot about breakaway collars

Old 04-23-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
LOL!!!! Hilarious. There are no leash laws for cats anywhere. None.
Pet Law 101: Cat Leash Laws - Dallas pet laws | Examiner.com

Old 04-23-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Should never collar an outdoor cat. Too many things, brush, branches etc can get caught in the collar and keep him trapped or worse. Micro chip yes, collar no
They don't get trapped if they aren't outside roaming!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
You honestly believe you can train a cat They may come when called but that doesn't mean when you're not watching that they're being little angels. Also, there is a big difference between a coyote killing deer and cats killing 1,000,000,000 birds annually...about 999,999,000 less.
Apparently you do not know much about cats, with patience they can be trained. Mine is 10 and goes outdoors for short periods of time, it's not like I throw her out the door at night for 8 hours.

No need to smack your head...

Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
That appears to be illegal where you live.

Craven County Government - Trapping Nuisance Animals
But trapping the cat is perfectly legal.

"Traps for dogs and cats are set at the discretion of the Animal Services Center and are on an "as available" basis. A waiting period normally applies due to demand.
Citizens may request traps by either calling (252) 637-4606 or by visiting the Animal Services Center."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships