Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 03:57 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If when you speak your mind it's usually negative, rants or complaining and I hate this and I hate people who do this and that, then that is negative. If you focus on what has or might go wrong, then yes that is negative. Do YOU think you are a positive, upbeat person? Do you raise the good vibe when you're around people, or bring it down?

My ex used to be that way. We'd be driving somewhere and he'd be bitching about everything along the way. It was like he only noticed what was wrong with the world. It was very draining and depressing being around him and one of the reasons I fell out of love with him. I don't even know if he realized what a horrible habit it had become.
I have a co-worker who is like this. When he is speaking his mind, you can feel the attitude in his voice. He comes across as an a**hole.

My husband and a friend of his had the opportunity to interact with him when he was speaking his mind, and he treated both of them the same way. They avoid him when possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I just find it interesting that I've never seen a discussion about "speaking one's mind" be about being compelled to put a positive spin on something.

It always seems to be about one's compulsion to talk something down, be a wet blanket, or over-emphasize what may go "wrong" in a situation.

And then comes the obligatory "I'm just a realist" defense.

There's a lot of happy, good stuff in the world to "speak your mind" about.
Yeah...

I have heard the "I am just a realist" defense.

A male co-worker has a favorite saying...

I just tell it like it is.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:05 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Yes, I often get called negative by my mom and sisters for simply expressing an opinion or factual statement.

Often times it's just matter of fact stuff like, "if I don't save more money I won't have enough money for retirement."

My mom thinks that is a bad way to think and everything will just work out if I just keep a smile on my face and a positive attitude.

I think cultures have very different levels of this. For instance in NYC nobody would bat an eye if you had a bad meal at a restaurant and you said it wasn't very good.

But here in Minnesota the person eating the bad meal will be all apologetic and will go out of their way to not make anyone feel bad about it. Even if the food is takeout, and nobody involved with the cooking is around to be offended.

I lived in Japan and it's like that MN attitude I described but times 10. Everyone is very aloof and opinionless there, and go out of their way to never say anything that would make another person embarrassed.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:05 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
Yeah...

I have heard the "I am just a realist" defense.

A male co-worker has a favorite saying...

I just tell it like it is.
Yep.

How many times will someone who "tells it like it is" just suddenly start ticking off nice (and true) comments about someone/something?

Not often, I notice.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
The mind most of the time issues negative thoughts
If the tongue is well connected to it. People will notice

Old 06-08-2014, 04:52 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Uh, yeah, I don't have a much of a filter, and it does come across as negative.

When I get nervous in a new environment, I make lots of 'observations', which can come across as critical even when I don't mean it to.

At a new workplace, I ask a LOT of questions (because I'm VERY curious about how things work) and have been told that comes across as criticism of the predecessor or the powers that be.

I've still held onto a lot of that teen sarcasm/dry humor which can seem hurtful to people even if I don't feel it/intend it. Got rid of a lot of that when my kids were little.

As I have become aware of this, I've made HUGE efforts to make sure my unfiltered comments include positive ones. I realized that I would think in my head "Wow, what a pretty sweater" or "That's a really good idea" but not actually say it to the person. So now i work at saying those things also.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:00 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times
I used to work with a girl with no filter. She claimed it was how she grew up. Her family would sit around the dinner table and have debates and they would all speak their minds and it's how she grew up. That's all fine and dandy, but no one at work enjoyed being around her. She would come across so rude too many times. The rest of us would look at each other not believing what we just heard when she'd be rude to the boss in a dept meeting.

She would apologize once she realized she might have said something wrong or hurt someone's feelings but after awhile, you get to where you just don't enjoy her company. As soon as she'd apologize, she'd say something rude again. We gave up.

I'm a believer in if you've got nothing nice to say then keep quiet. Why be mean or tell someone what you think if it serves no purpose? If someone asks you a question, you can get a point across in a nice tactful way and be honest without being mean or you can be blunt and hurtful. If you are blunt and hurtful then just don't expect many people to enjoy being around you.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:34 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I used be that way....so much negative stuff came out of my mouth.
Lost a relationship because of it...I cringe at how I sounded...sigh.

No more...because I stop the stinkin thinkin in my mind now.
Who knew you could control your thoughts and switch them to kind, happy, fun
thoughts!

I am the happiest most content person I know....my friends see a huge difference....
they love being around me now and told me I am the only person they know that is happy
and not complaining about something....what a pleasure to hear me just answer the phone!

Bad thoughts are a choice...I never knew that till about 2006-7.
Now my choices keep me very happy and clear and confident.
And I laugh a lot!!!......now.
Beautiful Miss Hepburn!

It takes the same amount of energy to be miserable as it does to be happy!
The choice is yours!

Old 06-08-2014, 08:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
If you're called negative when you speak your mind, chances are your mind is negative.

Maybe just tone down the constant criticism of everything and everybody.

No one cares about your opinions, most likely.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I used to work with a girl with no filter. She claimed it was how she grew up. Her family would sit around the dinner table and have debates and they would all speak their minds and it's how she grew up. That's all fine and dandy, but no one at work enjoyed being around her. She would come across so rude too many times. The rest of us would look at each other not believing what we just heard when she'd be rude to the boss in a dept meeting.

She would apologize once she realized she might have said something wrong or hurt someone's feelings but after awhile, you get to where you just don't enjoy her company. As soon as she'd apologize, she'd say something rude again. We gave up.

I'm a believer in if you've got nothing nice to say then keep quiet. Why be mean or tell someone what you think if it serves no purpose? If someone asks you a question, you can get a point across in a nice tactful way and be honest without being mean or you can be blunt and hurtful. If you are blunt and hurtful then just don't expect many people to enjoy being around you.

Please tell that to my co-worker.

The supervisor over everyone *including the managers* got on him for his attitude during a monthly staff meeting.

But... he never learned.

He keeps on repeating the same behavior.

And he complains about getting no respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships