Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:23 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,406 times

Advertisements

I feel that's happened to me a few times throughout the years ... used to bother me, now not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 02:37 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Speaking my mind is very rarely negative. It can be positive or neutral also!

Old 06-08-2014, 02:50 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
If when you speak your mind it's usually negative, rants or complaining and I hate this and I hate people who do this and that, then that is negative. If you focus on what has or might go wrong, then yes that is negative. Do YOU think you are a positive, upbeat person? Do you raise the good vibe when you're around people, or bring it down?

My ex used to be that way. We'd be driving somewhere and he'd be bitching about everything along the way. It was like he only noticed what was wrong with the world. It was very draining and depressing being around him and one of the reasons I fell out of love with him. I don't even know if he realized what a horrible habit it had become.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:57 PM

336 posts, read 590,068 times
Some people find it odd that I speak my mind because I don't filter myself like most people do because I don't feel like sugar coating the truth. Sometimes people have called me so negative and gave me weird looks.

My closest friends understand that it's just how I am.

I prefer to just tell you the direct truth so they don't waste any time trying to figure out what I meant or assuming the wrong thing by believing I meant something when I didn't.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If when you speak your mind it's usually negative, rants or complaining and I hate this and I hate people who do this and that, then that is negative. If you focus on what has or might go wrong, then yes that is negative. Do YOU think you are a positive, upbeat person? Do you raise the good vibe when you're around people, or bring it down?
I'm a "Call it like I see it" type of dude- I express appreciation/admiration for plenty of things, but I don't hold back if I don't like something either. The latter seems to be discouraged in American society, though I've noticed people seem to be more open to it in Britain/Germanic Europe. If any of you watch NBA basketball, I'm a bit like Jeff Van Gundy.

Also I have to wonder if some of the perceived "negativity" in my remarks is due to my appearance and voice.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
Some people find it odd that I speak my mind because I don't filter myself like most people do because I don't feel like sugar coating the truth. Sometimes people have called me so negative and gave me weird looks.

My closest friends understand that it's just how I am.

I prefer to just tell you the direct truth so they don't waste any time trying to figure out what I meant or assuming the wrong thing by believing I meant something when I didn't.
Telling the truth and being positive are not mutually exclusive. You can be direct with people while not using a negative way of saying it. It's called tact, and use of it doesn't mean you're indirect or dishonest. Otherwise, you're just being a bully and dismissing it as "that's just how I am". JMO.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
I'm a "Call it like I see it" type of dude- I express appreciation/admiration for plenty of things, but I don't hold back if I don't like something either. The latter seems to be discouraged in American society, though I've noticed people seem to be more open to it in Britain/Germanic Europe. If any of you watch NBA basketball, I'm a bit like Jeff Van Gundy.

Also I have to wonder if some of the perceived "negativity" in my remarks is due to my appearance and voice.
You didn't answer my question. Do YOU think you are a positive, optimistic, upbeat person or a more often negative person?

As far as appearance, do you smile or do you appear to scowl? Do you have a unibrow?

Old 06-08-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You didn't answer my question. Do YOU think you are a positive, optimistic, upbeat person or a more often negative person?

As far as appearance, do you smile or do you appear to scowl? Do you have a unibrow?
I don't think of myself as positive or negative, I go through the whole spectrum with the ups and downs of life, just like anyone else. I don't like to fake being happy when I'm not, which might be a problem, but that's how I roll.

Appearance wise, you know the whole "B--chy resting face" meme? I kinda got the "Angry black man resting face" thing going, and I can't really do the fake/Duchenne smile.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
I used be that way....so much negative stuff came out of my mouth.
Lost a relationship because of it...I cringe at how I sounded...sigh.

No more...because I stop the stinkin thinkin in my mind now.
Who knew you could control your thoughts and switch them to kind, happy, fun
thoughts!

I am the happiest most content person I know....my friends see a huge difference....
they love being around me now and told me I am the only person they know that is happy
and not complaining about something....what a pleasure to hear me just answer the phone!

Bad thoughts are a choice...I never knew that till about 2006-7.
Now my choices keep me very happy and clear and confident.
And I laugh a lot!!!......now.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:55 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
I just find it interesting that I've never seen a discussion about "speaking one's mind" be about being compelled to put a positive spin on something.

It always seems to be about one's compulsion to talk something down, be a wet blanket, or over-emphasize what may go "wrong" in a situation.

And then comes the obligatory "I'm just a realist" defense.

There's a lot of happy, good stuff in the world to "speak your mind" about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships