Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 11:57 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Besides being negative, the statement has a passive "pity me" attitude.

I would say instead "I am determined to save more so that I have enough money for retirement." The facts are the same, but the statement is a lot more positive.
See that's exactly it, I think the idea of re-structuring the original statement for the mere sake of being "positive" is disingenuous and phony, and sums up a lot of what I don't like about society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 12:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
See that's exactly it, I think the idea of re-structuring the original statement for the mere sake of being "positive" is disingenuous and phony, and sums up a lot of what I don't like about society.
Yes, the "shove your emotions way way down and smile" attitude. I'm not an unhappy person, generally happy and upbeat and open, but still I feel like I'm walking around with a bunch of mindless giggling idiots at times. HAHA.

People are full of all sorts of thoughts and emotions, trying to hide or spin them doesn't do anything but make life frustration. And like I say on a lot of other threads, teaches everyone to LIE.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:09 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Quote:
No, I would restructure the sentence so that I am in frame of mind to actively DO SOMETHING to avoid being short of money in retirement. Being in a passive, negative frame of mind almost ensures that I won't try and will simply whine about the problem instead.

However, perhaps you enjoy playing the victim and that's why you are so negative? Think about the question.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
No, I would restructure the sentence so that I am in frame of mind to actively DO SOMETHING to avoid being short of money in retirement. Being in passive, negative frame of mind almost ensures that I won't try and will simply whine about the problem instead.
My words don't need restructuring for me, I KNOW what I mean when I say things. Phrasing something just so isn't going to have an effect on the outcome if you already know what the heck you're talking about.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:15 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,196 times
not every thought needs to be expressed--either positive or negative. I think when we're younger, we tend to not filter ourselves enough, because we don't have that sort of self-consciousness. "Out of the mouths of babes", so-to-speak.

As we get older, we (should) begin to realize that our spoken thoughts (can) have a real impact on others. To some, other peoples' opinions don't bother them (to me: I have to respect your opinion, before I allow it to have even the slightest effect on what I do, say, or think). To others: our words can have a tremendous impact--both positive and negative.

As you get older, if you find yourself blurting out unconsidered thoughts, you're either immature or are somewhere on the Asperger's continuum. (I tend to lean heavily toward immature, as I feel Asperger's is WAY overdiagnosed, or it's true that we're all on the Asperger's continuum.

I've tried to live by the "he who thinketh by the inch and talketh by the yard, ought to be kickethed by the foot".

Not everybody wants--or needs--to hear everyone else's opinion.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
No, I would restructure the sentence so that I am in frame of mind to actively DO SOMETHING to avoid being short of money in retirement. Being in a passive, negative frame of mind almost ensures that I won't try and will simply whine about the problem instead.

However, perhaps you enjoy playing the victim and that's why you are so negative? Think about the question.
Are you also one of those "you feel bad because you choose to feel bad" people?

Old 06-09-2014, 12:22 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
Some people find it odd that I speak my mind because I don't filter myself like most people do because I don't feel like sugar coating the truth. Sometimes people have called me so negative and gave me weird looks.

My closest friends understand that it's just how I am.

I prefer to just tell you the direct truth so they don't waste any time trying to figure out what I meant or assuming the wrong thing by believing I meant something when I didn't.
Same here, but people hate that, especially in the south. You are supposed to pretend everything is sunny all the time and you agree with everyone about everything. It's exhausting.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:25 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Often.

I try not to be excessively so, but for the most part, my life has been negative since graduating college several years ago.

After not getting a decent job out of college, I bounced around from call center to call center, and ended up making $11.68/hr with no benefits at the end of last year. Having to pay $700 to treat bronchitis when you are earning under $12/hr is awful. Not being able to pay the bills, even while living with parents, is degrading. In those conditions, it's hard to not be negative when your income is low and the job beyond stressful.

My financial and professional situations have improved, along with my outlook. I still hold extremely negative views about my hometown (and small towns/Southern states in general in this economy) and the labor market, but my personal mood has generally improved.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:27 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Quote:
Are you also one of those "you feel bad because you choose to feel bad" people?
I simply decided in my 20s, after taking an assertiveness training course, that I would never again view myself as a victim... and I never have. There are almost always choices in life although sometimes none of them may seem attractive. I'm happier feeling that I have control over my life.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I simply decided in my 20s, after taking an assertiveness training course, that I would never again view myself as a victim... and I never have. There are almost always choices in life although sometimes none of them may seem attractive. I'm happier feeling that I have control over my life.
Fair enough ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships