Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

Our ten year is coming up in September. I may go and may not.

The few people I'm friends with already talk to me on a regular basis. Some of the others I communicate with on Facebook. There are a few people I'd like to see and know what happened to, but no idea if they'll be there or not. Most of them are married with kids and honestly I don't have much in common with them. Never did and don't now.

I may come and be an ass like I always was, just for old time's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
High school and those who were there with me was a waste of my time and effort, I did not like 98% of them, tolerated 1% and socialized with 1%.
The day I left that hole in the wall filled with rats I never went back and have not looked for any of them anywhere.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
If anything, I think Facebook actually creates a greater desire to go.

I went to my tenth for one night. Skipped my 20th for a trip to the beach. And missed my 30th. Now that I've connected with lots of people from high school, I've found that a) Many of them weren't the jerks I thought they were back then and b) I had forgotten so many cool people.

So if you're still butthurt twenty or thirty years after graduation, seek therapy.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 AM

119 posts, read 300,525 times
My tenth was last year and I didn't go because I haven't really maintained a relationship with anyone from my class. I also didn't have many friends then so there would have been no one to talk to, not to mention the school is ten hours away.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:53 AM

723 posts, read 869,166 times
When I left high school I thought I'd definitely go to reunions, but now that I've been out of school for 10 years I don't care about seeing those people anymore.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:36 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,603,547 times
I haven't been to any nor do I plan to go to any. I'm not on Facebook either. I have friends from school I keep in contact with. But I have no interest in seeing the majority of my graduating class of 400+.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I was talking to a girl the other day that is on her HS reunion planning committee. Their 30 year reunion is coming up in a couple of weeks. I asked her how many people are planning on attending and she said about 25-30 out of a class of about 300.

I got to thinking and wondering since Facebook has come to be, do you think that maybe that's why people aren't as interested in their high school reunions as people seemed to be in the past? People can go on Facebook and find a lot of info about their classmates i.e. what they are up to, look like, kids, spouse, etc.
Now days losing touch in a mobile society isn't uncommon; even in computer age . My class for instance was 700+. We have a website for the class and updates constantly on where people are etc. Without that even getting the word out can be hard. On a note. My oldest sister graduated in 1947 and up to three years ago they had reunions which included booking up many of the local motels fully in planning. People came from all around the country. That is without internet and having to maintain addresses. I find that remarkable. Even now they have monthly dinners at private club for local class. memebers. Get about 75 each month counting spouses.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:54 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
As I've said overandoverandoverandover on the many, many threads about class reunions, they get better with time. Lots better.

People change, folks. Ten-year-reunions are pretty useless - post-twenty-year-reunions are memorable.

So - if you've only been out of high school for ten years or less, take heart. Life continues and it continues to offer choices and opportunities and surprises. People grow and mature and turn into far more interesting versions of themselves at 38, 48, 58, and 68 than they were at 18 or 28. Given that improved human material, reunions get better, too, assuming the planners do their job and get adequate input (not just hands-on help, but suggestions and comments about suggestions) from their classmates.

So even if you have bad memories of high school, try attending your twentieth+ reunion, just to see what's happened with your classmates since then. Be open. Be receptive. Be polite and interested. Be honest, too - it's okay to let people know your high school years were not your best years, but leave old grudges and hurts at home for at least the event. If you really want to hang onto them afterwards, that's your call. But for just that one night, or one weekend - be open-minded, show interest in other people, and see what happens.

I don't think you'll regret it.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:54 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,494 times
I was curious about this myself. This year is my 25-year reunion, and I haven't heard a peep from anyone I went to school with. I even made a post on a FB page dedicated to residents of my hometown, asking if anyone from the class of '89 had any plans for this year. Not a word.

It's kind of sad, but yeah, maybe social media has put a damper on these kinds of things ... even though meeting in person is totally different from reading someone's words online.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:58 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

So if you're still butthurt twenty or thirty years after graduation, seek therapy.
I think that statement flippantly discounts a lot of the pain people go through in high school. You remember getting bullied, being picked last for the teams in gym class, all that stuff. Just because it happened 10, 20, or more years ago doesn't mean it still shouldn't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships