Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

I went to my reunion and it was a lot of fun. The reason I got on Facebook to begin with was to hear about the reunion plans. Luckily for me though, the 4th of July is like an unofficial class reunion every year. I usually see plenty of classmates out and about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 01:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
I say is people don't want to go to their high school reunions then they shouldn't go. Unfortunately here on CD, if you say you don't want to go you will be strong armed and guilt tripped into going. Your on personal choice and feelings don't matter.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Our 10yr is this fall. I dont really want to go or see a need but I will go. The silly girl who is planning it only sent out info on Facebook and when i pointed out to her " what about people without facebook?" she didnt react- (i dont have a FB, my husband does).

We had the largest graduating class at around 400-500 (i cant remember now). There are 222 people on the schools fb page and 179 have seen the reunion page and im going to guess 50 may show up?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:06 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
As I've said overandoverandoverandover on the many, many threads about class reunions, they get better with time. Lots better.

People change, folks. Ten-year-reunions are pretty useless - post-twenty-year-reunions are memorable.

So - if you've only been out of high school for ten years or less, take heart. Life continues and it continues to offer choices and opportunities and surprises. People grow and mature and turn into far more interesting versions of themselves at 38, 48, 58, and 68 than they were at 18 or 28. Given that improved human material, reunions get better, too, assuming the planners do their job and get adequate input (not just hands-on help, but suggestions and comments about suggestions) from their classmates.

So even if you have bad memories of high school, try attending your twentieth+ reunion, just to see what's happened with your classmates since then. Be open. Be receptive. Be polite and interested. Be honest, too - it's okay to let people know your high school years were not your best years, but leave old grudges and hurts at home for at least the event. If you really want to hang onto them afterwards, that's your call. But for just that one night, or one weekend - be open-minded, show interest in other people, and see what happens.

I don't think you'll regret it.
Well said

Old 06-11-2014, 02:25 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I went to my 20-year reunion. It was quite satisfying. A lot of people I wanted to see weren't there, but I managed to reconnect with quite a few people. My Facebook friends list kinda blew up, and it's been fun to chat with various people and see what's going on in their lives.

Amusingly, the "cool kids" all sat at another table far away. They were ... much the same, just a bit more bloated, and many of them appeared to be at loose ends. They still weren't people I wanted to hang out with. The guy who was the worst of the bullies, imo, showed up with a giant P-Diddy-esque rock in his ear. Given that he is probably the whitest white-boy preppie I have ever encountered with no connection or deep knowledge of the hip hop culture that spawned that particular fashion, it was particularly hysterical. He couldn't meet my eyes, which was particularly amusing to me after some of the ****ty stuff he did to me and others. That was the only feeling of malicious glee I had during the night - the rest of it was just an awesome time.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:40 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I went to my 20-year reunion. It was quite satisfying. A lot of people I wanted to see weren't there, but I managed to reconnect with quite a few people. My Facebook friends list kinda blew up, and it's been fun to chat with various people and see what's going on in their lives.

Amusingly, the "cool kids" all sat at another table far away. They were ... much the same, just a bit more bloated, and many of them appeared to be at loose ends. They still weren't people I wanted to hang out with. The guy who was the worst of the bullies, imo, showed up with a giant P-Diddy-esque rock in his ear. Given that he is probably the whitest white-boy preppie I have ever encountered with no connection or deep knowledge of the hip hop culture that spawned that particular fashion, it was particularly hysterical. He couldn't meet my eyes, which was particularly amusing to me after some of the ****ty stuff he did to me and others. That was the only feeling of malicious glee I had during the night - the rest of it was just an awesome time.
I have a feeling it will be like this at mine. We will gather and all the cool kids will chat and sit together and leave the rest of us to our own.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:56 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I have a feeling it will be like this at mine. We will gather and all the cool kids will chat and sit together and leave the rest of us to our own.
I don't see the problem. The cool kids aren't the ones i want to associate with.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:14 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I say is people don't want to go to their high school reunions then they shouldn't go. Unfortunately here on CD, if you say you don't want to go you will be strong armed and guilt tripped into going. Your on personal choice and feelings don't matter.
Agreed. I was looking through other CD threads about reunions and its the same posters that are in this thread bugging people about going to their reunions and suggesting they have issues and need help if they don't want to go. It's quite pathetic really. I just ignore them.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:55 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, I didn't care for high school that much. And no one has accused me of living in the past. But, like it or not, these are people with whom you spent a great deal of time, which means they are a bigger part of your life than you suspect.

What's more, your attitude means that you actually are guilty of a kind of reverse snobbery, in effect making you the kind of person today you disliked most in others in high school. How do you know that these people are not worth knowing? You're basically viewing them as 16-, 17-, and 18-year olds, when they likely have turned into very interesting and nuanced people. And these are people with whom you shared a great deal, despite what you say.

Unless it involves traveling cross country, invest a night of your life. You have no idea what pleasant surprises might be in store for you.
Why are you so obsessed with this? You sound like some pseudo psychologist offering your "advice" and insight on my feelings. You have no idea as to who I liked or didn't like or what my experiences were in high school.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I graduated so I wouldn't ever have to go back . Besides, isn't that where my "permanent record" is stored? I don't want that thing resurrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships