Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Rock View Post
It depends on how early the topic comes up in conversation. Some people say it immediately. I find that rude, so I usually say "burglar." Other times I'll be honest, which sounds boring and they're not impressed. I never ask the question back, or ask it at all, which usually irks the impolite person, because they know that I don't care what they do.
I'm with you on that. I think that's the point of this topic.

If a long term friendship develops it will be hard to completely steer clear of the subject. Your new friend is going to know.
By that time it doesn't matter. The other person is not going to judge a friend. If they do then they never had good intentions to begin with and it will probably dissolve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I'd prefer someone ask me about my hobbies, movies I enjoy, or places I have traveled.
I would find it rather bizarre if a complete stranger initiated a conversation with me by asking what my hobbies were or where I had traveled.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:23 PM

223 posts, read 300,438 times
I think the question, "What do you do for a living?" is just asked out of interest. Afterall, we spend one third of our life doing what we do for a living. Many people are curious, because they are bored with their own job (which includes many professionals). I would never take offense at the question. Now, if someone inquired about my salary, that would be offensive to me.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Why do people get so fussy about this question? It's the most obvious conversation starter there is. It is not a method to one-up someone, unless you have a personality disorder.

I spend 50 hours a week at my job at a minimum. I'd think it strange if someone didn't ask about it.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:56 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I would find it rather bizarre if a complete stranger initiated a conversation with me by asking what my hobbies were or where I had traveled.
Well, why is it any different when a "complete stranger" asks what I do for a living? I personally don't see the difference.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:59 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I'm with you on that. I think that's the point of this topic.

If a long term friendship develops it will be hard to completely steer clear of the subject. Your new friend is going to know.
By that time it doesn't matter. The other person is not going to judge a friend. If they do then they never had good intentions to begin with and it will probably dissolve.
A new friend is fine (having talked to them a few times), but I seriously have a problem with someone asking and I just met 5 minutes ago. It just seems so intrusive. Guess I'll be in the minority though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
If it is a turn off to you when people ask, IMO that would tend to indicate that you are not happy with what you are doing, so it is not other people's judgment about what you do that rankles, it is your own self judgment that is bothering you.
Light bulb moment here.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,591,160 times
OP You sound to me like you are a bit defensive about this question. This leads me to think that either you don't currently have a job or that you hate or are not proud of what you do. This is a personal issue of yours that you need to ind a way to come to terms with.

Asking people what they do for a living is pretty normal and a part of most conversations when people first get to know each other. What a person does can often give you a lot of information about who they are. Plus sometimes you meet somone who does something really interesting that you would love to lear more about.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:28 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
OP You sound to me like you are a bit defensive about this question. This leads me to think that either you don't currently have a job or that you hate or are not proud of what you do. This is a personal issue of yours that you need to ind a way to come to terms with.

Asking people what they do for a living is pretty normal and a part of most conversations when people first get to know each other. What a person does can often give you a lot of information about who they are. Plus sometimes you meet somone who does something really interesting that you would love to lear more about.
Exactly! It's for looking for common ground. Do you work in the same or similar fields, know the same people, etc. People are trying to make a connection and work is something that isn't too personal to inquire about.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:30 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Even worse than this question is, "What does your husband do for a living?"

The last thing I want to talk about in social situation is work. Socializing is down time.

If someone starts asking questions that sound like they are trying to size me up I know that it will be a brief conversation for me. A real killer is, "What kind of a car do you drive?"

If the room is full of people asking those types of questions I know I'll politely make the rounds and say my goodbyes along with a mental note to be busy next time I'm invited. Not my kind of people.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:52 PM

211 posts, read 266,798 times
I really hate that question too b/c what I do is not who I am. Ask about hobbies, interests, etc instead. I've begun answering in a joking manner "as little as possible" to this inane question. I think people ask it b/c it seems like a safe thing to ask and b/c everyone else seems to ask it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships