Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 12:27 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,180,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
He really should have donated that to charity. What you needed to inherit was a swift kick in the rear.

Working is a thing that turns you into an adult. Right now, you are a drain on society. You contribute nothing. Your largest activity is turning food into poop.

Quite frankly, I would disown any child that was so irresponsible. Doing things that you like is not the same as not being lazy, it is the definition of being lazy. It was a waste for you to even go to college since you are not putting the education to use.

Sounds like you're jealous. The purpose of work is to make money not to turn you into an adult. And how is she a drain on society when she pays her own bills? And why should she get a job and take it from someone who really needs it like the many unemployed we have???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 12:31 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,180,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I can't believe the number of people that suggest the OP "Move out" when it is very clearly stated that the person owns their own home and does not live with their family. What ever happened to reading comprehension?

They're too busy judging her and calling her lazy.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:53 PM

699 posts, read 1,015,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allieoxenfree View Post
Haha. Actually, people who meet me normally love me! I have never been called a loser or shallow, at least not to my face. But hey.

My values have nothing to do with money. I love making friends, helping them, learning as much as I can and having fun.

Oh, and making the perfect crockpot roast. Totally shallow, but it's a priority
I don't have a son like a previous poster.....but if I did, I'd want him to marry someone exactly like you, sweetheart.....and NOT because you've got money. I don't have a daughter either, but if I did, I'd be proud if she were just like you.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:59 PM

699 posts, read 1,015,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I've stopped reading some of your posts...you people are freaking nuts. Yes, nuts. Someone talked about how it wasn't HER MONEY...um, yes it is. She did inherit it, true, but it is hers. People have a strange idea about how she should feel and what she should do when they've never been in her position.

Notice the people who have understood her have also been there. For those of us who haven't been there, we can see she's still young...when some of you oldies (me included) were 25, SOME of you didn't have a care in the world. I will say this though...everyone is different in their learning curve.

She likely will find something she's passionate about, whether it be through her travels or while helping her friends. She will figure that out as it comes. She does sound like a solid young individual...for those of you who say she's a spoiled brat, then I say your reading comprehension is terrible.

I still don't really know what my purpose is...and I'm 47 years old. Seriously, does working a full time job give me value? What if I don't volunteer? Am I useless? I couldn't have kids so some people think I'm missing out on "life's greatest gifts". You really want to know what my purpose is? To get up each morning...to breathe in and breathe out...to love my family...THAT'S FREAKING IT! Some of you think that because she hasn't figured out yet what she's interested in doing, that she, too, is useless.

I honestly don't understand people like you other than to say you're a bunch of control freaks who have to have everything in a tidy little box. Life isn't tidy...some of us figure it out later, some sooner, some never. Who are we to judge? Honestly...you can be embarrassed for her, you can say you're a deep pool, you can say you aspire to higher ground...but really, it's all about perspective...and some of you, as much as you'd like to think you have some, have shown that you really are too rigid to appreciate it.
Wished I'd said this, too.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:59 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Aside from all of the above discussion, I wouldn't recommend anyone open a bar that hasn't managed one before. Running a bar involves a lot more than coming in and making sure everything is hunky dory; its not smiles and handshakes and serving drinks. The field is littered with mechanics and accountants and contractors and sales reps and trustifarians who took the risk opening bars or restaurants and failed because they didn't know what they were doing. Would you recommend that a hospitality manager up an accounting firm? No. So what business does an engineer (or a CPA for that matter) have opening a bar?

Margins are slim, you have to manage to make sure you have the right crowd, right employees, etc. Finding and keeping good employees isn't always easy. Even an honest employee can lose you money if they way overpour, etc. I once worked with a guy who gave away 10 rounds of Patron and didn't charge as they were his friends. He didn't see it as theft, but he did bilk the owners from $80 for that spurt of generosity. You see where I'm coming from.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'm telling you, AllieAlllieOxenFree, you have a future in fiction writing. I bet you could spin a tale that would engage all sorts of readers.
Writing is a job. I say she call herself a writer and let the old lady have it. She can even say she is writing for City Data Forum. Now that we have the op's life figured out I am wondering how many of you all are willing to head on over to your local Hospital and sign up as volunteers. Where I work we have a volunteer program. I mean in as much as many of you are proponents of volunteering, I am thinking if your not already maybe you could start today. If it is good advice to give it must be good advice to take.

Then again maybe you are volunteering somewhere else? For all of those that say she should volunteer where are you now currently volunteering?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You're spending someone else's money on frivolous things! This "someone", your grandpa, WORKED for that money and did not get to enjoy traveling etc...per what we know here. Did he win that money at the lottery? This is why they're upset, and you show no responsibility other than be a reckless spender! You're the type that some folks leave their money to cats and dogs! I was working my a$$ off at 25....

Wasting your 20's is a sure way to screw up your 40's!

What a heck does that mean?

Get a job. You sound like a lazy spoiled brat.
Make your own money. Investing is not a job, it is a way to $crew yourself and other people OUT of money. It is just a fancy word for lottery.
Wow, not very educated on how money works for you I can see. How is she $crewing anyone out of any money?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
& That is your opinion and I don't call it dumb! That is MY opinion, and you don't get to insult me for having it. I don't believe in "investing" period.

OP comes across as completely irresponsible. His grandpa worked for that money, and he didn't do that so he lives a frivolous life. I am neither jealous nor bitter. I am being objective, and I am a parent, and as a parent I wouldn't want my money to be recklessly spent by someone who doesn't value work or common sense for that matter. If this was his money that he worked hard for then spend it on whatever you want, but this was someone else's money.
You will work till the day you die if you fail to invest for the future. What good is that? Is that your plan? Although I love working and would love to work into my 80's or 90's I also invest and have a plan to build a net worth of $5million or so for my wife and myself. I for sure don't want to be stuck with the little bit of nothing that my lost Social Security Dollars will get me.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:13 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
Why do people post this kind of stuff and why do others entertain it?

''Spolied rich kid doesn't have to work and it is discussed on social media.''

Old 10-17-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I haven't read all of the posts.

Grandma is likely upset that her husband (again likely) worked his butt off for the inheritance you are now splurging. In those days, women who married hard-working men suffered in ways of their own. So I don't doubt that she made sacrifices that you will never appreciate.
Yea, you didn't read all the posts. Wrong grandma. She was not the wife of the grandfather that gave her the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships