Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheartsandrainbows View Post
thank you for saying exactly how i feel
the women in my boyfriend's family all breastfeed
and have given birth naturally so they have been pressuring me
into doing the same.
but you have really hit the nail on the head w/ how i feel

Honey, I've had 4 pregnancies, 3 births with 2 being induced and 1 being natural but let me tell you, if I didn't have to have induced with 2 of them I wouldn't have had it.
The natural was no picnic but not as bad as I thought it would be and once baby is born it is done and over.

You do what is right for you and tell the others to keep their unwanted, unasked for advice and opinions to themselves.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:19 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
girl do not tell me that.
i'm in brooklyn
Yup...makes me happy that I don't live in the boroughs anymore. This happened in 2012. I know someone who had their baby in Staten Island less than a year ago and she couldn't get formula. I don't know if it's still in effect though.

I say to each their own but at least try. I felt the same way you did until I tried. It didn't work so I pumped. Once you pump regularly, it doesn't hurt and a good pump will extract a lot more efficiently and quicker. If you're just not producing a lot of breastmilk then go formula.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/he...anted=all&_r=0

Mayor Bloomberg's infant formula plan aimed at promoting breast-feeding in NYC hospitals - CBS News

Old 10-15-2014, 03:20 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Quote:
i'm pregnant and once i told my baby's father i wasn't going to breastfeed he got upset w/ me.
he said, "what do you mean you won't? it's better for the baby."
now he's been bringing it up and he says he thinks I will change my mind once our child is born
but honestly i have no interest & plan on formula feeding
i think he thinks this bc his brothers wife breastfeeds, makes her own baby food etc
im not against breastfeeding or anything its just not for me.
my mom told me to just do what i want but his family are the ones that live close to me & they
are pressuring me and talking it up about how the milk is better for the baby
part of my issue is pumping… it seems awful and i googled the process and it's def not for me.
anyway once again im not against it in general but it's not for me and i feel like it's my choice to make.
i am looking for advice as to how to get them off my back.
Are you sure you are okay I mean have you wrote this for fun or what? Because you say you don't like to breast feed the child. And again you say you have no interest & plan on formula milk feeding. Honestly what are you going to feed the new born kid ??? Water from the lake???? It is not something do what you want. first breast milk sip has most of the antibodies what need the baby for the first 3 months. What do you mean by pumping? Kid will suck it you just need to let him or her to suck that is it. Do you know anything about breast cancer. Do you know who is surviving the breast cancer the most???? " the mothers who breast fed their kids more than 6 months" Read this article.
10 things to do now to reduce your breast cancer risk later | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona

Old 10-15-2014, 03:23 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
thank you for saying exactly how i feel
the women in my boyfriend's family all breastfeed
and have given birth naturally so they have been pressuring me
into doing the same.
but you have really hit the nail on the head w/ how i feel
Oh sweetie, don't let someone convince you on what you should do just because THEY did it. Natural worked for them. It doesn't work for everyone. When I was in Lamaze they actually recommended the epidural and they educated us about it. At first I didn't want it. I was afraid of the side affects. I was induced and they wanted me to take the epidural the minute I walked into the hospital. I wasn't even dialated. My OB/GYN wanted me to take it. I said no. Well, I was almost at 8 cm and the pain was too much. My OB wanted me to have the epidural so I would save my energy when it came time to push. I then opted to take it. You do what's right for YOU

Old 10-15-2014, 03:23 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Are you sure you are okay I mean have you wrote this for fun or what? Because you say you don't like to breast feed the child. And again you say you have no interest & plan on formula milk feeding. Honestly what are you going to feed the new born kid ??? Water from the lake???? It is not something do what you want. first breast milk sip has most of the antibodies what need the baby for the first 3 months. What do you mean by pumping? Kid will suck it you just need to let him or her to suck that is it. Do you know anything about breast cancer. Do you know who is surviving the breast cancer the most???? " the mothers who breast fed their kids more than 6 months" Read this article.
10 things to do now to reduce your breast cancer risk later | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona

The original poster did not ask for opinions in regards to her breast feeding or not.
She asked for advice on how to tell those who are pressuring her, shaming her and trying to guilt her into breast feeding to stop "Pressuring her, shaming her and trying to guilt her".

She does not want to breast feed, it is not the end of the world, it is her child, her choice, her body and her boobs.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:26 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I say don't worry about this now, op. Take care of yourself, your boobs, your body and the unborn. Your minds might change when the baby is born.

Just drop the subject when the subject is mentioned again. If they try to guilt trip you, then say "well, I don't want to discuss this with you because it is not my concern now." or something like that.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:27 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
i'm pregnant and once i told my baby's father i wasn't going to breastfeed he got upset w/ me.
he said, "what do you mean you won't? it's better for the baby."
now he's been bringing it up and he says he thinks I will change my mind once our child is born
but honestly i have no interest & plan on formula feeding
i think he thinks this bc his brothers wife breastfeeds, makes her own baby food etc
im not against breastfeeding or anything its just not for me.
my mom told me to just do what i want but his family are the ones that live close to me & they
are pressuring me and talking it up about how the milk is better for the baby
part of my issue is pumping… it seems awful and i googled the process and it's def not for me.
anyway once again im not against it in general but it's not for me and i feel like it's my choice to make.
i am looking for advice as to how to get them off my back.
Breastfeeding is not something that either "is" or "is not for you." If you are having a child, then you have already committed to a lot of things that are just how having a baby works, and are not a personal choice. Breastfeeding is what you do when you have a baby - it's how the body is made and it's how the process works. Saying it's "not for you" is like saying labor is not for you, or changing diapers is not for you, or playing with the baby is not for you. Sure, you can avoid some of those things some of the time, and occasionally may need to avoid some of them, but if you choose to avoid them then one wonders why you think having a baby is for you in the first place. You should breastfeed if you have no medical reason not to - it really is better for the baby, and you have an obligation to do what is best for the baby and not what you feel like doing for no rational reason at all. The pump is another matter - if you are going to be working full time soon after the baby is born, then not pumping and switching to formula is a choice - a pump is hardly natural, and it's a great inconvenience and not always even popular. But there is no reason why you can't breastfeed for the first few weeks, and you really should at least try it that long. You really aren't being a very good mother if you can't at least try something for the well-being of your child.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:30 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The original poster did not ask for opinions in regards to her breast feeding or not.
She asked for advice on how to tell those who are pressuring her, shaming her and trying to guilt her into breast feeding to stop "Pressuring her, shaming her and trying to guilt her".

She does not want to breast feed, it is not the end of the world, it is her child, her choice, her body and her boobs.
It's also her choice to be a crappy mother, if you consider that a legitimate choice. Not breastfeeding because it's painful or difficult or too inconvenient is one thing - not doing it because "it's not for me" sounds immature and selfish. She doesn't even have a reason. It's just a bad sign all around. I agree it's not the inlaws' business and they should butt out, but I can understand their frustration with her attitude.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

I mention what was on the post. I say what I see. I cannot just write what she want to hear or read. If I do that there is no point. There is no pressuring shaming or trying to guilt her. If she take it that way nothing I can do either. As you gave your opinion I did mine but I am looking at that as a mother.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It's also her choice to be a crappy mother, if you consider that a legitimate choice. Not breastfeeding because it's painful or difficult or too inconvenient is one thing - not doing it because "it's not for me" sounds immature and selfish. She doesn't even have a reason. It's just a bad sign all around. I agree it's not the inlaws' business and they should butt out, but I can understand their frustration with her attitude.
there you go well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships