Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:02 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,416,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mally123 View Post
Ok so my boyfriend and I moved into our first home in March of this year. We have neighbors on both sides and we adore the ones on our right but the ones on our left are so obnoxious. They watch everything we do and are extremely rude. We live in a brick house and can hear them yelling when we are inside. We were doing yard work the other day and my boyfriends dad came over to help because my boyfriend had just had surgery and he couldn't do a lot but we were having some issues that could not be put off. Well being that my boyfriend couldn't do a lot the neighbor was calling him lazy and just basically putting him down. He ignored her but she would not shut up. She is always like this. We have tried being nice but they just like to start drama and talk bad about people and we try to stay away from that. She knew he had surgery but that doesn't matter. There 10 people that live in the house and they all stand at the fence and watch us regardless of whether we are in the front or the back. They just stand and watch us, except for the one that can't keep her mouth shut. We had family over a few weeks ago and we were having a bbq and they stood at the fence the entire time, telling us to give them some food. We have tried to be nice and now are ignoring them but it is so frustrating. We can't even walk our dog without them watching us. When I leave for work they are watching us. As soon as my boyfriend gets home from work they are calling him within 5 minutes of him walking in. It's really annoying and he's tried to be nice and tell them that we can't come over or are too busy to talk but they don't care. They won't leave us alone and it is quite aggravating. What should we do?

Haha... I moved to Montana as a kid. We had a barbeque six months after we moved with family visiting from our old homestate. The guy across the street just stood on the edge of his porch and watched.

In the Montana forum, I cited that as evidence of how rude they are. (I believe that is a problem in Montana - rudeness. But that is a whole other post.). The posters there turned it around on OUR family, telling me that MY family was rude for not bring hospitable and inviting them to our barbeque.

Note, my parents still live across the road from them years later, and there oddly hasn't been a single friendly neighborhood block party barbeque anywhere in the neighborhood in the past couple decades. . If there is, they are always held the weekends my parents are out of town....

Anyway, here are your best solutions:

1. When you walk the dog, go the opposite way so you don't go past their house.

2. A privacy fence and/or a row of some sort of tall plant is your big answer.

3. Change phone number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 10:34 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,782,794 times
Quote:
There 10 people that live in the house and they all stand at the fence and watch us regardless of whether we are in the front or the back. They just stand and watch us, except for the one that can't keep her mouth shut. We had family over a few weeks ago and we were having a bbq and they stood at the fence the entire time, telling us to give them some food. We have tried to be nice and now are ignoring them but it is so frustrating. We can't even walk our dog without them watching us. When I leave for work they are watching us. As soon as my boyfriend gets home from work they are calling him within 5 minutes of him walking in. It's really annoying and he's tried to be nice and tell them that we can't come over or are too busy to talk but they don't care. They won't leave us alone and it is quite aggravating. What should we do?
You could have some fun with this....

When they stand at the fence to watch you, pull out a sign that says "Intermission" or "The End", indicating that you know they are watching you. Or you could do an impromptu tap dance routine. Or start talking in accents. Or begin an argument with yourself. Or talk to the "invisible" person next to you. Really keep 'em wondering.

For a BBQ when they ask for food, tell them there is a $25 plating charge, so when you see the money, you'll give them food. Prepayment is required!

When you leave with the dog, pretend you are talking on your cell phone, even if you aren't. Walk the opposite way. Or stick headphones in and be "jammin' out" as you walk away.

If they call on the phone, you have some options. Answer in an accent and pretend you are a help center from overseas. Or pretend you do not speak English. Or if you see it is their phone number on caller ID, answer with, "The number you have dialed is no longer in operation," and hang up. Or simply block their call.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:46 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,684,867 times
My parents had that problem long ago. A privacy fence fixed it.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:23 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,883,238 times
Besides the fence and the hedge, how about a sprinkler?

Whenever they come near the fence and start watching, get the urge to water your lawn and turn it on right next to them.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:33 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,928,625 times
Quote:
Ok so my boyfriend and I moved into our first home in March of this year. We have neighbors on both sides and we adore the ones on our right but the ones on our left are so obnoxious. They watch everything we do and are extremely rude. We live in a brick house and can hear them yelling when we are inside. We were doing yard work the other day and my boyfriends dad came over to help because my boyfriend had just had surgery and he couldn't do a lot but we were having some issues that could not be put off. Well being that my boyfriend couldn't do a lot the neighbor was calling him lazy and just basically putting him down. He ignored her but she would not shut up. She is always like this. We have tried being nice but they just like to start drama and talk bad about people and we try to stay away from that. She knew he had surgery but that doesn't matter. There 10 people that live in the house and they all stand at the fence and watch us regardless of whether we are in the front or the back. They just stand and watch us, except for the one that can't keep her mouth shut. We had family over a few weeks ago and we were having a bbq and they stood at the fence the entire time, telling us to give them some food. We have tried to be nice and now are ignoring them but it is so frustrating. We can't even walk our dog without them watching us. When I leave for work they are watching us. As soon as my boyfriend gets home from work they are calling him within 5 minutes of him walking in. It's really annoying and he's tried to be nice and tell them that we can't come over or are too busy to talk but they don't care. They won't leave us alone and it is quite aggravating. What should we do?
Exactly HOW do they do all this?

Just stand there yapping even if you're ignoring them?

This story is weird. What kind of house is this? A halfway house?

Old 11-02-2014, 11:43 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,334,195 times
They sound like the neighbors from hell... omg. I would go the fence/hedge route. I would also ignore them totally. Do not even look at them or respond to anything they say. Don't even greet them.

They have nothing better to do than to look at and listen to you guys. I know that is soooo aggravating.

Keep us posted as you try out different things.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:11 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,076,962 times
Learn French or Japanese and don't talk in English in your back yard. If they are druggies, drop hints about your friend who works in the DEA.

A six foot privacy fence might be a good idea. They could poison and kill a hedge. Plus fences "grow" faster. You could plant the hedge inside the fence to make it look nicer.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:33 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,946,819 times
Find your local Biker Gang and invite them over for a BBQ... Then let's see how long these idiots stand there and demand food or talk about anyone....

Or report them to the Secret Service as making threats against the president....

Or get a portable air horn and blast it every time they say something...

Or just blast Eminem or Snoop Dog every time they stand at the fence or open their mouths when you are in the backyard.....

Or, and here's my fave, throw a flash bang in their vicinity.... And then run....

Old 11-02-2014, 01:46 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,782,738 times
Just remember, you have to live there. 'Be nice until it's time not to be nice.' -Patrick Swayze in the movie Road House.

If you do a fence or hedge be sure to do it to both sides of the yard so it looks balanced and so it doesn't look like you are doing it in reaction to their behavior.

Once they find which buttons to push they will never stop.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:32 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,410,808 times
i built a brick wall around my patio, i like my neighbor, I just don't want to talk to him all day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships