Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
If they call on the phone, you have some options. Answer in an accent and pretend you are a help center from overseas. Or pretend you do not speak English. Or if you see it is their phone number on caller ID, answer with, "The number you have dialed is no longer in operation," and hang up. Or simply block their call.
There was a guy working for the NYC Health Department who would talk in a "robot voice" when he had to answer the call line. He did this in hopes that the callers would think they got a machine and hang up. In many cases I guess it worked, until he was suspended for 20 days for insubordination. City Worker Gets 20-Day Suspension for Using Robot Voice to Answer Phone - Civic Center - DNAinfo.com New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 07:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,730,371 times
The 10 people "stand at the fence and watch you all day"? "they stand at the fence and ask for food" "they watch you leave for work" "they watch your boyfriend come home"

Paranoid?

If they're calling you, that's your fault. Why would you give out your phone number to a stranger?

Old 11-03-2014, 12:37 AM

12 posts, read 17,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
The 10 people "stand at the fence and watch you all day"? "they stand at the fence and ask for food" "they watch you leave for work" "they watch your boyfriend come home"

Paranoid?

If they're calling you, that's your fault. Why would you give out your phone number to a stranger?
Actually it is not my fault they call that would be my boyfriends fault because I would never in a million years give my number to a stranger lol, and I remind him that's why too. My thing is how can it be paranoia if it's a fact. I'm not exaggerating and I have nothing to be paranoid about. It's an annoyance. They don't have jobs and last night we heard someone laughing outside our window. We aren't within 10 feet of each other it's more like 50 but that is still too close so yeah they are watching us and calling us but again not paranoid but seriously disturbed. I don't feel like something bad is going to happen but like you and every normal person in the world I do like and expect my privacy. I love my other neighbors and have no problem being friendly to the others but when they won't leave you alone that's when it becomes a problem. Come stand in my shoes for a while, and you will see what I mean.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Block their phone numbers and don't give them out so easily to people in the future. Plant tall, fast growing hedges between your house and theirs or put up a 6 foot tall solid fence. Then continue to ignore them as you have been doing.
Actually I don't give my number out to anyone who I don't know that well. My bf gave the number out and every time they call I let him know if he wouldn't have given it to them they wouldn't be calling so I definitely agree.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Escalating a situation like this is usually a very terrible idea. These people sound like a bunch of unemployed losers who are probably alcoholics or druggies. The last thing someone should do is further interactions with people like that.
Lol i hate to say it but that is exactly right. My bf went over to their house right after we moved in to try and get to know them and he said none of them work and they are all a bunch of meth heads. He avoids them now. Lol.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Plant a row of Leyland cypress trees (if they will survive in your region) in front of the fence line. They grow rapidly and will block your neighbors.

For them to have this much free time, they must be unemployed losers.

Do not escalate things with them; they will be the types to call the cops on YOU!

When outside, always have headphones or ear buds in, even if you are not listening to music. This will help show them you are not hearing their obnoxious comments. Do not even glance at them. Pretend they are not there. Do this all the time -- when walking the dog, working in the yard, etc.

If you have a patio or deck where you eat outside or BBQ, build a pergola or something that you can add screens to (like bamboo screens) so when you are outside on your deck, they cannot see you and any guests you might have.

If you live in an area with four seasons and it gets cold in the winter, some of your problem will be solved, simply because they are not going to hang outside in snow! So I hope you live in an area with seasons.

If you have a garage, park inside and get into and out of your car inside the garage as much as possible.

If they are playing loud music just to be annoying, check with your local PD or Sheriff to find out if your local government has a noise ordinance and if it is enforced. If they have one, call the appropriate authorities and ask for them to intervene when the noise gets loud.
Thank you so much for this response. Unfortunately no they do not work. So yeah we are their entertainment unfortunately.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post
Haha... I moved to Montana as a kid. We had a barbeque six months after we moved with family visiting from our old homestate. The guy across the street just stood on the edge of his porch and watched.

In the Montana forum, I cited that as evidence of how rude they are. (I believe that is a problem in Montana - rudeness. But that is a whole other post.). The posters there turned it around on OUR family, telling me that MY family was rude for not bring hospitable and inviting them to our barbeque.

Note, my parents still live across the road from them years later, and there oddly hasn't been a single friendly neighborhood block party barbeque anywhere in the neighborhood in the past couple decades. . If there is, they are always held the weekends my parents are out of town....

Anyway, here are your best solutions:

1. When you walk the dog, go the opposite way so you don't go past their house.

2. A privacy fence and/or a row of some sort of tall plant is your big answer.

3. Change phone number.
Wow at some people. It's not like we invited the whole block and not them it was a small get together with just family to celebrate our moving in. So sad how people act.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
You could have some fun with this....

When they stand at the fence to watch you, pull out a sign that says "Intermission" or "The End", indicating that you know they are watching you. Or you could do an impromptu tap dance routine. Or start talking in accents. Or begin an argument with yourself. Or talk to the "invisible" person next to you. Really keep 'em wondering.

For a BBQ when they ask for food, tell them there is a $25 plating charge, so when you see the money, you'll give them food. Prepayment is required!

When you leave with the dog, pretend you are talking on your cell phone, even if you aren't. Walk the opposite way. Or stick headphones in and be "jammin' out" as you walk away.

If they call on the phone, you have some options. Answer in an accent and pretend you are a help center from overseas. Or pretend you do not speak English. Or if you see it is their phone number on caller ID, answer with, "The number you have dialed is no longer in operation," and hang up. Or simply block their call.
Haha this was quite hilarious imo. Thank you for making me laugh. I do ear my ear buds now when I walk out of the house. Sad it has come to this. Lol

Old 11-03-2014, 12:50 AM

30,533 posts, read 16,231,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mally123 View Post
Lol i hate to say it but that is exactly right. My bf went over to their house right after we moved in to try and get to know them and he said none of them work and they are all a bunch of meth heads. He avoids them now. Lol.
If they're really meth heads, that is not only illegal but dangerous, and a whole different ball game than being annoying.

When you say you moved into the house, are you buying or renting?

Old 11-03-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
My parents had that problem long ago. A privacy fence fixed it.
You know what is sad it's not just my boyfriend and I that have an issue with them. The neighbors across the street called the cops on them once already and her house is pretty far back from the road and the neighbors that we actually like on our right side pulled us to the side one evening and asked if we would be offended if they put a privacy fence because the neighbors on the left of us were driving them crazy. We said no of course we wouldn't be offended but that is how loud these people are. We are definitely interested in the privacy fence idea. Lol have a great day and thanks for responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships