Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I live in a typical 3/2 house and one of the bedrooms is used as an office. I used to use one of the BRs as a guest room but since I've retired I'm renting the extra room and bath and I really enjoy the extra income. The last few times I've had visitors they just got a B&B and we had a lovely visit. The friend who's coming this weekend has more money than God but wants to sleep on my sofa. I HATE people sleeping in my living room, there's no way to hide the mess, plus I don't like sharing a bathroom. Is there any clever witty way to tell her she should get a hotel from now on?? Or am I just becoming an old grump? Your input very much appreciated.

Tell your visitor it is not appropriate for you to have overnight guests since you currently rent part of your home out because that would be an inconvenience to your renter and negate the privacy they pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 09:02 PM

414 posts, read 400,589 times
I am guilty of being in a snit because family wanted to stay in a hotel. Took me awhile to figure out that they have a right to that choice without my being offended, so now I am fine with that. However, when I visit them I no longer stay in their home, as it no longer feels right. I stay in a hotel as well so - we're all happy.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:04 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Tell your visitor it is not appropriate for you to have overnight guests since you currently rent part of your home out because that would be an inconvenience to your renter and negate the privacy they pay for.
This is the best advice, I think. Since you rent out your room to someone else, your boarder should get consideration that your visiting friend may not be aware of. Recommend a decent hotel that is near you and offer to drive her there or something. You need to be very direct with this friend regarding your concerns, if she takes offense, then so be it. Especially if she invited herself to sleep on your sofa -

I liked having guests when I was younger, but as I have gotten older, I prefer to stay in hotels and vice versa, especially if a home is rather small. I really do not want to inconvenience others as much as possible.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:06 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,958 times
Once in a while!

Old 06-18-2015, 10:17 PM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
I love having house guests. I like being with friends and family. Having them stay over night is a little work, but I would feel guilty making a friend or family member stay in a hotel if there's room for them at my place.

I'm confused about one thing. If you don't like having house guests, why would you be willing to rent out a room in your home to somebody? How do you hide your mess from them?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:26 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Since retiring in September we have had many houseguests passing through since we are off of I-75 and if our friends are going to Florida or down south from Michigan, this is a good stopping point...we just had two people ask yesterday if they could stop next month...we relish the company since we know maybe 6 people here... We have lots of room..we even had my niece and her 12 softball team members spend the night on their way to Columbus GA....overnight... It was fun..

PS...Last month my husband told some friends they could stay here a few days on their way south and unbeknownst to me..they brought their 3 lb chihuahua...and their yr old granddaughter... We have a 60 pound pit mix.....I was a little ticked but the dog and toddler stayed in one piece but it was very stressful...Then the man, who is a Baptist preacher wanted to baptize my husband in our pool...... I was very happy to see them leave.....
Funniest thing I've read all day!

I don't really mind houseguests, it does force me to clean the house so I guess it's all good.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:57 AM

496 posts, read 553,240 times
I don't mind houseguests, but I have had 2 bad experiences. One with an elderly relative, one with a middle-aged couple (friends with one; didn't know the spouse very well).

Both times, the guest(s) apparently expected a first-class hotel, not a home. The home is actually very nice and the guest room has a small ensuite bathroom with tub/shower/sink/toilet/vanity.

Comments made to me, or to a third party who repeated to me:
Mattress was too hard (this from the relative);
according to friend/couple: dresser was old and creaky (it is an antique, and the drawers do squeak; so what?) there was a "funny smell" in the house; there was a small dark water stain on the bathroom ceiling, did we have mold????; floors creak (house is 20+years old, after all); driveway has weeds growing in it and we need to call a paver!

It seemed like these guests' real goal was to size up and criticize the accommodations!

Old 06-19-2015, 07:35 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I'm having house guests tomorrow night and do at least once a month. I love it when the shorties come. Adult house guests would be fun as well. As for someone wanting to sleep on my sofa. Which one or both of them occupied would be fun. I love having house guests.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:48 AM

805 posts, read 1,085,128 times
This thread sounds like a bunch of introverted, selfish people not wanting to sacrifice their precious time or space for people that are coming through and want to see them...sad. How about you think about someone other than yourself for a change?

We love having houseguests, and will go out of our way to make sure they feel at home and welcome. It's just good hospitality and good manners!

Old 06-19-2015, 08:53 AM

733 posts, read 853,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
This thread sounds like a bunch of introverted, selfish people not wanting to sacrifice their precious time or space for people that are coming through and want to see them...sad. How about you think about someone other than yourself for a change?

We love having houseguests, and will go out of our way to make sure they feel at home and welcome. It's just good hospitality and good manners!
Judgmental much???

"WOW just wow"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships