Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:12 PM

52,200 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
i've been out of work since December. Starting to get a bit bored with it now. My house is cleaner than ever, how many times a day can you vacuum? Lol. Guess I can clean and organize the garage.....
I've been out of work for several months too, voluntarily, but now, looking to make a career/ job transition and get back out there and the last few months of looking I'm sorta surprised I'm not having better luck. I've got a BIL that is 60 and he's been out of work for a couple of years now and he's not having much luck, I wonder at 60 who's gonna wanna hire him. I hope he gets something soon.

I have moments where I get a little bored but overall, I could easily be unemployed assuming you had enough money to live decently. I was sorta worried that I'd get overly bored and go crazy when I do actually retire, but I think those worries are turning out to be unfounded. If I do get bored I figure I could go work at a Home Depot or Costco type place 15-18 hours a week, just enough to get me out of the house a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 03:33 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Speaking of work, if I get offered this job I just completed the background check for I may have a tough decision to make. That drive back from the background check is helping me realize that this job is not going to have a pleasant commute.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Speaking of work, if I get offered this job I just completed the background check for I may have a tough decision to make. That drive back from the background check is helping me realize that this job is not going to have a pleasant commute.
Well, this was not a hard decision at all. I got offered the job and accepted it. Emotional decision? Probably but today reminded me why I wanted to split in the first place.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:57 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Wishing you the best of luck. Please go forward with a change of attitude now that you have a new beginning. Use intelligence, reasoning and common sense, not emotion, to make choices that will affect you now and in the future. Welcome to the adult world! Your exciting new life has begun!

Old 04-28-2016, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,501 times
hello everyone

Old 04-29-2016, 08:39 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
How do you tell a new friend that she talks too much? I met a woman down at the pool the beginning of March. We found we had a lot in common so we were hanging out by the pool, did a little shopping together and had our evening walk together. She is a snowbird so she went back up north right after Easter. So our "friendship" was about 5 weeks. She is looking forward to coming here with her husband this time (he couldn't come done with her this past time) for 2 weeks in June. She has been texting me and calling a couple of times a week. Her last text ended with "love you, can't wait till June". Seriously I've never told a friend that I loved them like that.

However nice she is, she never shuts up - I'm not kidding she can talk for hours straight without me getting two words in. I saw some neighbors cross the road or jump in the pool when they see her coming. On our evening walks she would talk to everybody whether it was the security card or someone else walking their dog. And not just a hello, long drawn out conversations about where they live, where they're from, etc. After a few minutes of this I would just continue walking the dog.

Someone at the pool asked me where she went and when I told them she was back up north they said "man, that woman can talk - I heard her talking to someone down here at the pool for 4 hours straight".

I hate to hurt people's feelings but I am not as much as a people person as she is. I've forced myself to get out of my comfort zone when she dragged me to the flea market but I hated every minute of it. I don't want to get together every day and talk for hours. This is why I keep my neighbors at arm's length and I let my guard down with this lady and now I feel like I have a significant other.

How do I tell her nicely that she monopolizes any conversation without hurting her feelings? She will be back down, like I said for two weeks in June and then from right after Christmas till Easter. I like her friendship but I don't want to get together every single day.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 04-29-2016 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 04-29-2016, 09:02 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Have your phone or watch beep at a preset time. Glance at it. Rise. Say, as you are leaving, 'Oh, look at the time, must go check on the particle accelerator.'

That's saved us many an occasion.

Come to think of it, you could substitute some other 'reason.'

Old 04-29-2016, 09:15 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Have your phone or watch beep at a preset time. Glance at it. Rise. Say, as you are leaving, 'Oh, look at the time, must go check on the particle accelerator.'

That's saved us many an occasion.

Come to think of it, you could substitute some other 'reason.'

LOL - or maybe the Hadron Collider. Good idea I will have to do that with my cell phone.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:10 PM

52,200 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
How do you tell a new friend that she talks too much? I met a woman down at the pool the beginning of March. We found we had a lot in common so we were hanging out by the pool, did a little shopping together and had our evening walk together. She is a snowbird so she went back up north right after Easter. So our "friendship" was about 5 weeks. She is looking forward to coming here with her husband this time (he couldn't come done with her this past time) for 2 weeks in June. She has been texting me and calling a couple of times a week. Her last text ended with "love you, can't wait till June". Seriously I've never told a friend that I loved them like that.

However nice she is, she never shuts up - I'm not kidding she can talk for hours straight without me getting two words in. I saw some neighbors cross the road or jump in the pool when they see her coming. On our evening walks she would talk to everybody whether it was the security card or someone else walking their dog. And not just a hello, long drawn out conversations about where they live, where they're from, etc. After a few minutes of this I would just continue walking the dog.

Someone at the pool asked me where she went and when I told them she was back up north they said "man, that woman can talk - I heard her talking to someone down here at the pool for 4 hours straight".

I hate to hurt people's feelings but I am not as much as a people person as she is. I've forced myself to get out of my comfort zone when she dragged me to the flea market but I hated every minute of it. I don't want to get together every day and talk for hours. This is why I keep my neighbors at arm's length and I let my guard down with this lady and now I feel like I have a significant other.

How do I tell her nicely that she monopolizes any conversation without hurting her feelings? She will be back down, like I said for two weeks in June and then from right after Christmas till Easter. I like her friendship but I don't want to get together every single day.
Tough situation to be in. I'm sort of a chickshyt when it comes to that sorta thing. I wouldn't really know what to say to her, because anything, even worded politely, is gonna sounds crappy to her.

I'm not a really a super socially outgoing guy, I mean when I do socialize I do, but that's the problem I have with having too many friends is that they always seem to want more time than I wanna give, I've always been sort of a lone wolf growing up. I usually just like to do things with the SO and maybe do a little chatting with people I know on FB, that is fine, but I routinely get pestered to do more stuff with them. When working all week long I had to interact with a lot of different people and when the weekend rolled around I just want some alone downtime and relax.

I'm not so sure how I'd react to a friend that you've known such a short amount of time saying that they love me. I mean it's a nice gesture and all, but IDK, seems a bit odd and clingy to me.

Back to the overly talking thing, that would have been shutdown quick as that is probably one of my biggest pet peeves is someone that just yaps and yaps and yaps and yaps. We always seem to get placed right next to a chatter when we go out to restaurants, to me that is the height of rudeness to talk incessantly and never let a person get a word in edgewise. It's also surprisingly common. Over the years here on CD I've read a lot of threads where people are complaining about excessive talkers.

When I say shutdown quick I mean I wouldn't deal with them, as in just blow them off, I suppose that may be rude, but when people keep asking you to do things and you always have other plans, people usually get the hint after a while.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:41 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia409 View Post
hello everyone
Hello!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships