Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:44 PM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've been out of work for several months too, voluntarily, but now, looking to make a career/ job transition and get back out there and the last few months of looking I'm sorta surprised I'm not having better luck. I've got a BIL that is 60 and he's been out of work for a couple of years now and he's not having much luck, I wonder at 60 who's gonna wanna hire him. I hope he gets something soon.

I have moments where I get a little bored but overall, I could easily be unemployed assuming you had enough money to live decently. I was sorta worried that I'd get overly bored and go crazy when I do actually retire, but I think those worries are turning out to be unfounded. If I do get bored I figure I could go work at a Home Depot or Costco type place 15-18 hours a week, just enough to get me out of the house a bit.
Yeah, that's the thing--I'm 61, not easy to get hired at this age. And I can't officially retire and take advantage of my ss benefit for another year. Any even then, it won't be full benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Yeah, that's the thing--I'm 61, not easy to get hired at this age. And I can't officially retire and take advantage of my ss benefit for another year. Any even then, it won't be full benefit.
Well, I'm 46 and trying to get a job in a side industry from mine and the skills are about 70 percent transferable, I've got 25 plus years experience in my industry have long times at each company 15 yrs at one and 10 at another and I can't get a call back. I'm totally shocked, I figured I'd have them eating out of my hands, I don't know if age discrimination is a play or what, I know that some companies would rather get people right out of college to pay them less and all, but again, my skill set is really very very similar to this new position I want and I'm completely baffled why I'm struggling to get work.

I'm probably going to end up going back to one of my old employers soon as I left on good terms just to get a paycheck coming in. I wouldn't think that 46 it would be age discrimination but I think it might have something to do with it and the fact that I've made good money and maybe employers figure they can pay a kid right out college a lot less.

Has to have some bearing on it. Mrs. Chow's brother is 60 and he's been out of work for a few years now, he had his own business for 30 yrs but it ended up going belly up and I really think for him it is age discrimination along with employers seeing that he was a business owner and they probably figure he's too old and set in his ways.

Sad because experience really does mean something and it's also sometimes intangible and sometimes employers get short sighted and don't see the big picture as much as they should.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:16 AM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times
Quote:
Well, I'm 46 and trying to get a job in a side industry from mine and the skills are about 70 percent transferable, I've got 25 plus years experience in my industry have long times at each company 15 yrs at one and 10 at another and I can't get a call back. I'm totally shocked, I figured I'd have them eating out of my hands, I don't know if age discrimination is a play or what, I know that some companies would rather get people right out of college to pay them less and all, but again, my skill set is really very very similar to this new position I want and I'm completely baffled why I'm struggling to get work.

I'm probably going to end up going back to one of my old employers soon as I left on good terms just to get a paycheck coming in. I wouldn't think that 46 it would be age discrimination but I think it might have something to do with it and the fact that I've made good money and maybe employers figure they can pay a kid right out college a lot less.

Has to have some bearing on it. Mrs. Chow's brother is 60 and he's been out of work for a few years now, he had his own business for 30 yrs but it ended up going belly up and I really think for him it is age discrimination along with employers seeing that he was a business owner and they probably figure he's too old and set in his ways.

Sad because experience really does mean something and it's also sometimes intangible and sometimes employers get short sighted and don't see the big picture as much as they should.
I would bet it's more the money aspect than the age in your case. You're right, it is sad, they should at least talk to you. Good luck with all that.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:45 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:

My boss and I just touched base on this subject, this morning. What is happening, is, companies are doing something illegal....they hire people from other countries to come over here and work....on a IB something, visa, of sorts....they pay them much cheaper wages.

They are also laying off people and hiring back people from agencies, to do your job, for half the cost....

He told me, it's illegal and it starts at the top with the politicians. He also said, what the companies are doing is illegal, but they're getting away with it? So, I don't know?

Prosecute US Companies Who Hire Illegal Immigrant Workers to the Fullest Degree - NationofChange | Progressive Change Through Positive Action

he said, they are taking the work right out from under the Americans, and the companies do not care, all they care about is money, and I'm talking huge business companies.

Its called the H2B program, and he told me, they're all getting away with it, b/c the politicians are ignoring it. I'm not talking farm work, this is corporation/business

Last edited by cremebrulee; 05-02-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 01:44 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My boss and I just touched base on this subject, this morning. What is happening, is, companies are doing something illegal....they hire people from other countries to come over here and work....on a IB something, visa, of sorts....they pay them much cheaper wages.

They are also laying off people and hiring back people from agencies, to do your job, for half the cost....

He told me, it's illegal and it starts at the top with the politicians. He also said, what the companies are doing is illegal, but they're getting away with it? So, I don't know?

Prosecute US Companies Who Hire Illegal Immigrant Workers to the Fullest Degree - NationofChange | Progressive Change Through Positive Action

he said, they are taking the work right out from under the Americans, and the companies do not care, all they care about is money, and I'm talking huge business companies.

Its called the H2B program, and he told me, they're all getting away with it, b/c the politicians are ignoring it. I'm not talking farm work, this is corporation/business
Yeah, I've heard of that happening. I think CNN or MSNBC did a whole big story on it. The future doesn't look all that great, I'm not just saying that because I'm struggling to find work. When I left my last company they said I am welcome back, so I know I wont go hungry and all, but I'm feeling a bit concerned about the kids coming out of college and jobs are just drying up, technology is causing some of that, the outsourcing business as well. If they pass one law to stop it, they'll find ways to get around it, they always do. IDK, not sure where this country is gonna be in 15 20 yrs from now. I know that everyone always says that sorta thing but it's a well documented fact that wages have been stagnating and declining since the 70's. Companies no longer offer pensions like they did in the past, 401k contribution matches are getting smaller and smaller. Health insurance prices are soaring. The cost of food is soaring on all the basics like meat, bread and milk. Prices seem like they're going up just about every other week.

I really don't know you young families can make it these days. I usually make good money and we bought our home a long time ago and have very manageable mortgage and we don't have any kids and while we're not struggling but I can see how people can be, especially young families.

I'm not sure who exactly sold the American dream down the toilet, but man, the water is twirling around the bowl for sure......

Old 05-03-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard of that happening. I think CNN or MSNBC did a whole big story on it. The future doesn't look all that great, I'm not just saying that because I'm struggling to find work. When I left my last company they said I am welcome back, so I know I wont go hungry and all, but I'm feeling a bit concerned about the kids coming out of college and jobs are just drying up, technology is causing some of that, the outsourcing business as well. If they pass one law to stop it, they'll find ways to get around it, they always do. IDK, not sure where this country is gonna be in 15 20 yrs from now. I know that everyone always says that sorta thing but it's a well documented fact that wages have been stagnating and declining since the 70's. Companies no longer offer pensions like they did in the past, 401k contribution matches are getting smaller and smaller. Health insurance prices are soaring. The cost of food is soaring on all the basics like meat, bread and milk. Prices seem like they're going up just about every other week.

I really don't know you young families can make it these days. I usually make good money and we bought our home a long time ago and have very manageable mortgage and we don't have any kids and while we're not struggling but I can see how people can be, especially young families.

I'm not sure who exactly sold the American dream down the toilet, but man, the water is twirling around the bowl for sure......
Great post, and I think all the more reason to once again get tough on kids....honestly, and I mean this with my heart, I think kids need less material stuff, and more morals, respect, and survival training, like camping, etc. I really worry about what it's going to be like for our kids....they are in for a very rude awakening, and I hope you and I are wrong.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:06 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,511 times
I am 53 and just got a FT corporate job... had to temp for 3 months prior but it did go perm. Look in eco sectors that are booming now. It can happen, don.t give up.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
I am 53 and just got a FT corporate job... had to temp for 3 months prior but it did go perm. Look in eco sectors that are booming now. It can happen, don.t give up.
congrats!!!

Old 05-04-2016, 02:53 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,520,276 times
Quote:
Great news

Hope others have same good fortune as yourself

Old 05-04-2016, 06:38 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Congrats. Glad the job fortunes are changing for people on this thread. I think Chow is next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships