Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:01 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,520,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Congrats. Glad the job fortunes are changing for people on this thread. I think Chow is next.
Yes let's hope so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 11:29 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Congrats. Glad the job fortunes are changing for people on this thread. I think Chow is next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yes let's hope so

Thanks for the well wishes.

If things don't shake out in the next few weeks I'm gonna have to call one of my former employers up and see about going back to one of them. I've been off work for about 7 months now or so and we've got to get back to work. The first half was leisure the second half was looking around for something, so if something doesn't' happen, well, we'll have to regroup and see what to do next.

I could maybe see about looking for this career change on the side part time when I'm back to work, who knows, I've got at least 18 to 20 years left before I can retire, so I've got to do something.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:15 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,511 times
Keep at it. I had to take work I wouldn.t have dreamed of 5 years ago. What line of work do you do? I.m sorry if you mentioned it and I didn.t see it.
Thank you all for the well-wishes. So very kind.
I went through he#€) and was certain my corporate days were long gone. How it happened is a miracle. Keep a young attitude, dye your hair (go to a good salon), buy a designer outfit for interviews and sell yourself. I was seriously at the end of my rope -- don.t get there!

Old 06-19-2016, 03:44 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,045 times
I have skimmed through some threads looking for a topic I need to ask about but have not found it. So I'm writing here and if there is a better place for this, please advise.

I am a senior woman (70+) who has been divorced many years but have had a few relationships along the way. A man I have known for a long time (we worked in same place) and I have recently reconnected.

I am "old school" as I believe most of my friends are. But believe my mind is more open than others.

This man is black, I'm white. How much disapproval should I expect and at this point in my life, should it even matter? My friends and I don't really get together that often, they are married or single but have busy lives. I have been single for years, have not connected with a white man, and like some people, I am lonely and would like a companion.

Some friends have said about other mixed couples that it is the children who will be hurt. Well, at my age, there would be no children, even if the friendship went that far. At this point, we are lunch friends.

Thanks.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:14 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have skimmed through some threads looking for a topic I need to ask about but have not found it. So I'm writing here and if there is a better place for this, please advise.

I am a senior woman (70+) who has been divorced many years but have had a few relationships along the way. A man I have known for a long time (we worked in same place) and I have recently reconnected.

I am "old school" as I believe most of my friends are. But believe my mind is more open than others.

This man is black, I'm white. How much disapproval should I expect and at this point in my life, should it even matter? My friends and I don't really get together that often, they are married or single but have busy lives. I have been single for years, have not connected with a white man, and like some people, I am lonely and would like a companion.

Some friends have said about other mixed couples that it is the children who will be hurt. Well, at my age, there would be no children, even if the friendship went that far. At this point, we are lunch friends.

Thanks.

You're 70 plus. You've earned the right to not give a F what anyone thinks.

My 2 cents.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:28 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

Thanks.
Enjoy your the time you are spending with your friend. If people are disapproving, they probably don't care for you as much as they should.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:03 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,856 times
I have noticed that some folks will complain that "the other person" doesn't make contact, but neithe does the complainer. Umm . . . someone's got to be first. People need to stop being so stubborn, or whatever it is.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:05 AM

997 posts, read 936,482 times
@NYGal... It doesn't matter what other people think, unless it matters to you.

If your friends don't accept you as you are then they can be the kind of friends you send a Christmas card to.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:09 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
@NYGal... It doesn't matter what other people think, unless it matters to you.

If your friends don't accept you as you are then they can be the kind of friends you send a Christmas card to.
Totally agree, my oh my, I've seen some pretty nasty people commenting in these forums, especially now, during this time of election...some people actually fear allowing someone else their opinions, others feel, it you don't agree with them, your nothing, and they proceed to come into threads adding nothing what-so-ever to the topic of conversation, but argumentative nasty remarks, both immature and unattractive....they only prove how nasty and cruel they are, which also brings another thought into perspective....they're kids...no wonder kids grow up the way they are today (and I'm not talking every single kid, there are some really awesome kids out there)

Yeah, if we worried what other people think about us, we'd be emotional wrecks...and btw, the older we grow, the less we care...believe me....lol

Life is way to short to worry about what others think, as long as your happy, then be HAPPY.....and do what makes you happy....don't worry about what others see, b/c those are the kind of people, you would never be able to please or gain any kind of approval anyway. Your not supposed to look to others for approval....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 08-01-2016 at 05:34 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 05:21 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,874 times
Heck, if you have found someone you like and respect and he does likewise--
go for it.

at our age (I am 69) - not that easy to make new relationships. - in my experience.

as far as approval -
I dated a Black man when I was in my '20's. I was lucky in that my family and (most of) my friends loved him.
I know there were a lot of "disapproving looks" from strangers but I didn't care.

Also I think it depends on where you live.
In a big city where there are probably many other mixed couples of various ethnicities, you won't rate a 2nd look. In a small town, and if he is the only person of color, perhaps you will get some 2nd looks, but so what. That is their problem.

I hope things work out well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships