Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would happen if 14 of your family members shared a beach house?
We would have a blast, lots of great conversation, food and drink! 74 30.96%
It would be mixed at best- I just don't know. 34 14.23%
It would be a generally miserable week, with some good times 64 26.78%
A living hell with lots of yelling, screaming and no sleep! 67 28.03%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:21 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I would make sure I wasn't there. Fighting for you life in an ICU would be better. Yecch!

I had a cottage for 15 years and made sure none of my relatives (except my parents) even knew about it, and then not even my parents knew where it was.
That is smart. My parents had something like that and people would ask to borrow it. If you are someone that is afraid to hurt someones feelings and say no bad things will happen. It took a few times of someone not leaving it in the condition they found it in before my parents starting telling people no. There was real damage done to the property. People don't get that this is worst than asking to borrow someones diamonds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 10:39 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,533 times
I picked mixed, but I wouldn't want to do it. For us and our handicapped son, it makes sharing accommodations with others not possible. Also, I don't have 13 relatives I'm close enough to to feel comfortable sharing a house with. And if we are staying someplace else it is more acceptable to do your own thing, eat when you want, go where you want without having to tell everyone. And have you ever tried to plan outings with 13 other disorganized relatives of all age levels. People don't agree, or they're late getting going and its a big pain in the butt. I think their could be some fun, but a lot less of it compared to us staying somewhere of our own.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
I don't have 14 relatives so I didn't answer the poll.

But if I were going to do this I would have to sleep in a bed and not share a bathroom with more than 3-4 people. I'd also want to know in advance how cooking and cleaning were going to be divided up and who was buying what groceries. And if I didn't have small kids I wouldn't want to spend much time watching anyone else's kids.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:43 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
That does remind me of one year where my family stayed in a complex that rented vacation apartment/condos--each couple or family rented their own apartment, so they had their own bathroom, kitchen, space to retreat to when family togetherness got to be too much. That worked out pretty well, though it was probably pricier than renting one house for the whole group.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
This reminds me. About children sleeping on the floor. Places we have stayed have a max occupancy and that's that. More than that number can be evicted. The occupancy restrictions are because of water consumption and preservation concerns.
That was my first thought as well. If that many people are staying in a 4 bedroom house, then someone is not being honest with the owner. So in that case, no I would not go.

But if it was a larger house with room for all 14 people, and no one had to sleep on the floor, then yes! I would have a great time spending a week at the the beach with my family.

But how it is now just sounds horrible. How many full bathrooms does a 4 bedroom house have? 2-3? What happens when everyone gets back from a day at the beach and wants to shower? Each bathroom has a line of 5-7 people waiting? I know don't want to sit around with salt water, sand, sunscreen and sweat all over me while I wait for 14 others to shower first. Not that I expect anywhere to have enough showers for everyone, but I would think with a group that size you would want at least a 6 bedroom/5 bathroom house.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:00 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
As a property owner, I would refuse to rent to a group that large in a 4 bedroom house. I would restrict the number of guests to the number of bedspaces (queen/ king equals 2 people). The wear and tear on a place with that number of people is awful and crowded conditions equal accidents and spills. We are buying a vacation rental, and it will be relatively small (2-3 bdrms) and have a max occupancy of 4-6 people for just that reason.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:38 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
My family does this every year. We have since before I was born. Originally, my grandfather had a family lake compound. There were two cabins with a third bedroom off of the garage. Both cabins had two bedrooms. Maybe not 14, but it was very common for 12 of us to share the space for a week. The compound has been sold but we still go to the same beach every year.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,640 times
No. Not with inadequate space. Not for a week. But if we were in a really big house or a group of apartments for like 3 days and nights, Yes! For sure.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:07 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
LBI, where my family vacationed, has duplex homes. My aunt and uncle and my grandparents would each rent a half and then we could drift between the two separate houses. It let people get space from each other.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:13 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
I did it with my siblings for many years when we had young kids. We also tried to mix in some friends and their kids too, which allowed everyone to be more like buddies instead of insular family. Also helped that the adults were all about the same age and same stage in life.

Some of my happiest memories were summers at that beach house in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships