Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would happen if 14 of your family members shared a beach house?
We would have a blast, lots of great conversation, food and drink! 74 30.96%
It would be mixed at best- I just don't know. 34 14.23%
It would be a generally miserable week, with some good times 64 26.78%
A living hell with lots of yelling, screaming and no sleep! 67 28.03%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 07:57 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
The relatives want to get a group of us together in late June for a week at a beach house in Ocean City MD. It is just shocking how expensive beach houses are in Ocean City so the sister who is organizing the whole thing is working hard to get all the brothers, sisters and husbands and wives to participate and share the cost. If everyone participates there will be 8 adults and 6 kids all living in one house for a week.

There is four bedrooms and ten beds so some of us will be sleeping on the floor, on the sofa or doubling up in double sized beds. It's going to be tight.

It could be a great opportunity for lots of good food, drink and conversation or maybe lots of fights, little sleep and general conflict. We have never done this before.

If you and 13 other family members had a chance to share a beach house, would you be interested, and if so, what would happen?

I guess it would depend on the family. Do you normally all get along? I don't see it happening with my small family especially since my sister is a Diva and feels everyone should wait on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 08:42 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
First of all I can't believe that everyone is able to get off of work for a week. We were trying to arrange something similar for a four or five day weekend and many of the relatives have to drive up Saturday morning and leave Sunday as they can't get off of work. This was an event that people knew about for years and the date was set at Thanksgiving for mid July of the next year.

We are renting a lake house with four bedrooms for the main gathering spot, some relatives are camping, others are renting four small nearby efficiency cabins, and a few will be in staying at a hotel. So we will not be "in each others hair" 24/7.

OP, I suspect that the place that you are renting is far too small for your group. Unless, some of the bedrooms have, for example, two queen size beds so that the whole family can sleep there and return to "their room" for peace and quiet. It could be a disaster.

OP, is it possible to find a larger place? Unless, there are only a few little kids sleeping on the floor of their parents bedroom, it could be a real problem with people sleeping in the common areas.

I answered Yes in the poll because it would be a blast with my family, assuming that the house was large enough that every adult couple or family had their own bedroom and the common areas were huge.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:27 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,313,073 times
Depends on how much alcohol is involved.

If none, hell no.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:24 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,922 times
I'm one of 6 so just us and my parents is 8, need 7 beds minimum. Add in spouses and children and the number drastically increases. We have a summer house and a ski house so weren't frequently together in large numbers and the houses are setup to accommodate this.

That being said, I don't think I could sleep on a floor for a week given the prices you're looking at.

A few things to consider. Where is the house? Can you walk to the boardwalk, beach and some restaurants or are you going to have load everyone up in multiple cars to go anywhere. Not sure if that bothers you or not.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:57 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,618,128 times
This reminds me. About children sleeping on the floor. Places we have stayed have a max occupancy and that's that. More than that number can be evicted. The occupancy restrictions are because of water consumption and preservation concerns.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:03 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
This reminds me. About children sleeping on the floor. Places we have stayed have a max occupancy and that's that. More than that number can be evicted. The occupancy restrictions are because of water consumption and preservation concerns.

That is an excellent reminder. I had forgotten about that.
Even if all six kids are sleeping on the floor or on couches at night they would still be using the toilet and taking showers, etc during the day.

I know someone who has done a bunch of vacation rentals and some places even had restrictions on large gatherings due to the number of bathrooms, etc.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:32 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:

If you and 13 other family members had a chance to share a beach house, would you be interested, and if so, what would happen?
I think it would be fun!

Bring a deck of cards, games, wine and beer!

Amazingly I am a person who likes being alone a lot. But having family gather, come and go as they please and come together for some of the day for just a week sounds like an awesome time to rekindle extended family.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:15 PM

743 posts, read 766,226 times
Quote:
The relatives want to get a group of us together in late June for a week at a beach house in Ocean City MD. It is just shocking how expensive beach houses are in Ocean City so the sister who is organizing the whole thing is working hard to get all the brothers, sisters and husbands and wives to participate and share the cost. If everyone participates there will be 8 adults and 6 kids all living in one house for a week.

There is four bedrooms and ten beds so some of us will be sleeping on the floor, on the sofa or doubling up in double sized beds. It's going to be tight.

It could be a great opportunity for lots of good food, drink and conversation or maybe lots of fights, little sleep and general conflict. We have never done this before.

I would drown myself in the ocean.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:35 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
eh, id rather not lol it would be okay but not my idea of a vacation. and it would depend which side of the family! my dads? no way.

and all sharing one house? unless it was huge 100 percent no. Id runaway and get a hotel room alone lol

Old 04-16-2016, 03:42 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,244 times
OH YEA, That was always a great time for our Family. We always got to see my wife's side of the family when our kids were young. Not because they lived close but we always seemed to be doing or celebrating something on her side . We live in Florida and her family was from Long Island. My family was from Boston. I wanted my kids to get to know their family from my side as well and this worked out great in that respect. From the time the kids started middle school, till they finished college, we spent every year going to NC Oak Island. My Family from the East Coast were always invited and my older brother and wife help keep every year on tract. Mom's, dad's, brothers, sisters, nephews and nieces all had a great time. Every year the same group didn't make it but for most we did.
We stopped a few years ago when most of the kids got older. My older brother and his wife still take trips together with us every year. Its just that our group is just starting their own family's now. We just got back last week from a trip to Hawaii with my Brother and SIL. During the trip we both discussed about renting a house again in Oak Island. Every time we see our kids, they always talk about the fun times they had at OAK ISLAND and how they miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships