Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would happen if 14 of your family members shared a beach house?
We would have a blast, lots of great conversation, food and drink! 74 30.96%
It would be mixed at best- I just don't know. 34 14.23%
It would be a generally miserable week, with some good times 64 26.78%
A living hell with lots of yelling, screaming and no sleep! 67 28.03%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 07:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times

Advertisements

I selected yes, but I'd want a private bedroom for each couple/adult single. We do something similar most years, but we camp. In years past, my wife and I had a big camper, so our site was Grand Central. We had most of the food in our refrigerator and a cooler or two, so having the main campfire in front of our camper was natural, plus we'd just done it that way for years. Last spring we sold our camper, so it was all tents this past summer.

We camp either in Wyoming (our home state) or Oregon (wife's family's home state). When in Oregon we'll have around 15 people attend, and when in Oregon about half that many. For the most part, we all get along fine and have a great time, but there have been a couple people, invited friends of a family member, who didn't fit in well -- drank too much, talked too much or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
We do it a couple times a year but everyone makes their own accommodation arrangements and we come and go as we please but we also have at least 30 plus all ages of children and multiple pets.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:44 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,374,624 times
I voted Yes~~Would be a blast

Course I'm speaking from the POV of having great relationships with family/their families/extended family etc. There is in our family a "Family Reunion" every year! ..which started with once was us old "Foggies" now, along with long deceased In-laws..along with siblings of husband and their kids.
Now, it involves those little gremlins who grew up and have families of their own..and the "Tradition" carries on!! We ALL get along ..regardless of breakups/divorce or whatever. We always respected one another..whether or not agreed on ALL things.. Course, no one even talked about Politics or Religion..mostly about our kids, adventures, work, accomplishments etc....

So Yep..I'd be fine with it and would never begrudge whatever the costs...You never know..one of us could die before next reunion ( Young Nephew just lost wife~age 40 from cancer) and per Family..ALL came together for her "Celebration of Life"

I can only speak to my Life experience..and grateful indeed Family, although separated by miles..Our bonds have no such "Boundaries"

Old 04-15-2016, 07:58 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,608,265 times
We did this for years when we seven siblings and our spouses were younger and there were a passel of little kids amongst us all. As we got older we opted for more houses so the adults could have their own rooms. Fortunately we all get along so we had a great time and lots of laughs! We limited the reunion to three days and those who wanted to extend their vacation in whichever part of the country we were in could do so. Good times!

Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
The relatives want to get a group of us together in late June for a week at a beach house in Ocean City MD. It is just shocking how expensive beach houses are in Ocean City so the sister who is organizing the whole thing is working hard to get all the brothers, sisters and husbands and wives to participate and share the cost. If everyone participates there will be 8 adults and 6 kids all living in one house for a week.

There is four bedrooms and ten beds so some of us will be sleeping on the floor, on the sofa or doubling up in double sized beds. It's going to be tight.

It could be a great opportunity for lots of good food, drink and conversation or maybe lots of fights, little sleep and general conflict. We have never done this before.

If you and 13 other family members had a chance to share a beach house, would you be interested, and if so, what would happen?
Is this because the sister can't afford to rent house for her family like she wants so is trying to get enough people together to help her defray costs???
Guess that sounds suspicious but my experience sharing vacation lodgings with relatives is that the people with the least money always drive the conversation...

How the kids are disciplined would be big friction point...some kids are not well behaved and ruin anyone's time...
We went to Disney World years ago with my husband's mother, his sister and husband and two granddaughters they were babysitting as well as their son/his wife and 5 kids. My husband is 18 yrs younger than his sister and her son/his nephew is only 3 yrs younger than my husband--grew up very close as kids but grew apart as aged.
We had 2 kids as well...
So 7 adults and 9 kids... We stayed at the western campgrounds so my SIL and her group could stay in their RV...we had a 2/2 trailer and so did the other group (2 adults 5 kids -- couple of kids slept in ours because there was more space...
Horrible--no one would make a plan or decision so we just waffled and waffled about what to eat or where to go when...
They didn't have any money and wanted to eat in their trailer all the time...

The older 3 kids were my son's age but would not spend any time with him because he had been through chemo and was thin and still had not gotten his hair back...they were girls and just ******* and neither their parents or grand parents or my husband's mother (great grandma) said anything to them about running away from him or talking about him behind his back...
I wound up doing most of the cooking...for 16...
Who cooks at Disney???

It was the worst vacation we ever spent and that includes one where we had car trouble and were towed three times in one day--twice from exact same location -- as well as one in state park where my daughter and son got ticks and daughter developed Lyme disease...(treated OK I think)...

Some people/families can make it work but it is not easy and can uncover any sibling resentment and personality conflicts that a short time doesn't...

Old 04-15-2016, 08:34 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,911 times
We do it every year. Sometimes there are 25 of us and that doesn't count the relatives/friends who just come down to 'visit' for a few days. There are so many of us though that we have to get a couple of houses now.

It's fun and I enjoy being with those relatives when we're all together. Some of them I don't particularly care for too much one on one, but when we're all together it's a different atmosphere and I can put up with them.

But, I get up early. I don't like having to step over kids or beds to get to the balcony, or not being able to turn on tv to listen to the weather because somebody is sleeping on the pull out sofa. You're house is a little small for that many people. You're going to be tripping over kids and beds.

The other problem we had was dinner.. what restaurant are we going to? Who's going? Who's not showered yet? What time will everyone be ready? It got to the point where it was so hard to get everyone together and so frustrating waiting for people to get ready that now we just split into different groups and go where ever we want for dinner and just meet up later usually at the tiki bar. Decide beforehand what you're going to do for dinners. To each his own works good.

Make sure everybody pitches in.. even the kids. They can take the garbage out and fold up the sofa beds. Nobody should be getting a free ride as far as clean up goes.

Some of these rental owners are very picky. They may have decorations and doo dads scattered around the house. Try to make a mental note of where they go because a lot of times they get moved because they're in the way. I had one rental owner wanting to keep part of my deposit once because she claimed I stole her decorative tea pot. I didn't steal the ugly thing. I just stuck it in the cabinet because it was taking up counter space and forgot to put it back.

Make a written list of any damages to the units and give it to the agent or owner once you get there so they can't blame it on you.

We've had years where everything has gone smoothly and we've had a couple of years where someone would be fighting with someone else.. Just ignore them, relax and enjoy yourself.

OP.. can I ask how much this beach house cost? We usually go to Diamond Beach NJ every year and rent there, but we were considering going to Ocean city Md next year. We were there about 15yrs. ago and then the prices for beach front homes were much cheaper than NJ.. but that was then....

Last edited by elliedeee; 04-15-2016 at 08:46 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 08:49 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
The relatives want to get a group of us together in late June for a week at a beach house in Ocean City MD. It is just shocking how expensive beach houses are in Ocean City so the sister who is organizing the whole thing is working hard to get all the brothers, sisters and husbands and wives to participate and share the cost. If everyone participates there will be 8 adults and 6 kids all living in one house for a week.

There is four bedrooms and ten beds so some of us will be sleeping on the floor, on the sofa or doubling up in double sized beds. It's going to be tight.

It could be a great opportunity for lots of good food, drink and conversation or maybe lots of fights, little sleep and general conflict. We have never done this before.

If you and 13 other family members had a chance to share a beach house, would you be interested, and if so, what would happen?
It's hard to say, because we don't know your family members, and how well you all get along. I've done plenty of beach house stays as a kid, with 6 adults and a few kids, and it was fine. Why wouldn't it be? Unless some of the adults have major personality issues or don't like each other, it should be fine. The kids will be at the beach all day, anyway.

I find it a little odd that your sister is trying to rope the rest of the extended family into paying for her dream beach getaway, but if everyone's amenable, there's no problem. Otherwise, she could get a motel room for a few nights for herself and her family.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:14 PM

729 posts, read 429,661 times
The third option.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:

Even though the idea of a one week beach house vacation for a ton of family members/friends is great in theory, it may not work out as smoothly as you plan. There many unpredictable interpersonal variables that occur with people who don't live together. You have no idea how your Aunt Sally will get along with her now teenaged nephew Jeremy, whom she hasn't seen in 12 years. That is the issue we ran into with my BIL, SIL, and the four kids plus their three kid friends. The other adults were well behaved, as they were senior citizens, but even then people started wearing on each others' nerves just because of their personal habits. They (and we) weren't bad people by any means; they were simply individuals with quirks that others were not used to. The nice thing about the beach house is that people had several vehicles so that we were rarely at the house during the day and everyone did their own thing.

My wife has tried not to be upset by the way her brother stiffed her on his end of the beach house expense. She was willing to shoulder 2/3 of the cost, even though he brought 1/2 the guests and there was just the 2 of us. But there is still a little resentment there. I told her she should put this behind her. It was for their mom's 75th birthday and her mom had the time of her life. We all had a good time, even though it was a LOT of work.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:04 AM

281 posts, read 25,272 times
Heck No! If I ever stay in a beach house the only people there would be me, myself, and I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships