Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would happen if 14 of your family members shared a beach house?
We would have a blast, lots of great conversation, food and drink! 74 30.96%
It would be mixed at best- I just don't know. 34 14.23%
It would be a generally miserable week, with some good times 64 26.78%
A living hell with lots of yelling, screaming and no sleep! 67 28.03%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:29 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times

Advertisements

Nope, no, Hell, no!

I like family in small, small doses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,675 times
Uh... NO

Our family doesnt like each other enough to pull that off. Some drink too much. Some would leave too often. Some have boundary issues. On and on...

NOw if a particular friend of mine did this with her family and invited me... You bet! I love her family. They get all in each others stuff, but they love each other no matter the issue. And they work out their issues. And oh my goodness, Mamacita can COOK! Mhm. Her family I'd do. Mine... not so much

Old 04-15-2016, 05:36 PM

2,349 posts, read 1,397,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sounds like a blast! I'd go in a heartbeat. I wish my family would do stuff like that.

It's not like you're going to be tripping all over each other 24/7. And beach houses generally have lots of outdoor space.

Give the kids some sleeping bags and have them sleep on the floor, or on air mattresses. Kids live for that kind of camping out.

I say go, relax, and enjoy.
Guess it depends on your family...but agree for me it would be a blast!

It's been 2-3 years since our last full family vacay....wish we could do it more often.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:40 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,627,552 times
When done right, it can be a great experience to get siblings and cousins and old friends reconnected.

Ideas from years of renting mcmansions at the beaches.

I recommend not blending too many categories of people. All family, all old friends, all golfers, etc.

It's hard dealing with the bedroom situation at times. The newer mcmansions have several master suites with ensuites nowadays so not so much trying to decide to gets the best room.

You should pay more for the best room/best fantastic view.

We liked best the houses where every adult couple had their own room. (If needed, good to be able to retreat to that private space for some peace and readjustment). And then the boys bed room and the girls bedroom. Cousins love reconnecting like that through the years. And were even nice to the new step child or two along the way. Some parents were hesitant that the younger ones would hesitate but they all loved it. A great time apart. No fights. And the toddlers on down would stay in the parents bedroom.

Do consider though your kids and those ground floor rooms and sneaking out if yours are so inclined.

Advance notice and 'jobs'.

About paying their fair share, go with the principal of letting people 'fire themselves'. Set rules. Payment a month or more before going. No, you can't soandso. Soandso knew in advance payment is due, perhaps even on the first downpayment and then the payment a month before occupancy. In advance they know what will happen otherwise. They can't go. They fire themselves from the trip. Then it is their fault. And you know well enough in advance to invite someone else....or at least relax because you don't have a freeloader to get frustrated with.

OR, you can realize soandso has always been a freeloader so it's okay for him to come; maybe he is a great musician, a good cook. Or maybe, nothing except that he's family. But know this going in well before so that you won't be seething during the trip.

Jobs...each family has a night to be responsible for the dinner. They should ask about allergies or anything that makes people gag. In advance. They can cook, order pizzas, get it catered, take everyone to a restaurant. Everyone should be in touch with the general meal so there are not two one after the other. Mexican, Italian lasagna, fish, Italian spaghetti.

Breakfast and lunch are as you like and as it happens.

Everyone cleans up every day, sweeping those crumbs after every meal.

Jobs...someone might plan side trips; someone rainy day activities...yes, there's that; someone evening family entertainment like skits and singalongs, crafts.

Last night Awards...just silly things but making memories. Who came the furthest. Who came with the most kids. Who caught the biggest fish. Make up an award for everyone...at least every child.

There's a ton of things to do in Ocean City, Md. Or just relax on the beach.

Oh, and bring coolers with lots of meal items. The grocery stores are packed packed packed on check in days.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:44 PM

924 posts, read 752,528 times
Been there, done that with my family before.....used to be a big thing with spending the July 4th weekend at our cabin in northern Arizona, and we usually had around 12 people there. (and I think the most we stayed was 4 days)

For the most part, it worked out well....only gripe I had was what my sister and I called the "bathroom situation". (Only two bathrooms, the adults all would want to take showers in the morning, so I'd have to get up much earlier than everyone else if I wanted to make sure I had hot water)

Old 04-15-2016, 06:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
We have done this many times in the Outer Banks with up to 16 people (all family) in one big house, and always had a good time.

There is a very long history in my wife's family of taking these kind of vacations to Ocean City. The history dates back to the 1950s and possibly the late 1940s. They started renting cottages and migrated to multiple condos in the same building or adjacent buildings. It ended up being extended family and friends of family members in different condos.

An argument broke out, however, a couple times with one particular family and that family pulled out and has done their own vacation ever since. My advice is, if you have doubts about certain people, it probably won't work out for a week long vacation in the same house.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 04-15-2016 at 06:52 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 06:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Sure! My friend's family did this every summer. My boys were lucky enough to participate a couple of times. They do board games for the kids. Everyone plans and provides for one meal. It doesn't mean you'd be stuck in the house or that you have to all do everything together. It's just for a week.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:29 PM

7,110 posts, read 4,830,642 times
For me, it would really depend on which relatives were coming. For the most part, it would be a blast, we would talk and sing and laugh and eat and drink and generally have a good time.

But a week can be a long time, especially if you're sleeping on the floor or the couch.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:39 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,297 times
Love my family, love my in-laws. On very good terms with everyone but hell NO.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:56 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
The relatives want to get a group of us together in late June for a week at a beach house in Ocean City MD. It is just shocking how expensive beach houses are in Ocean City so the sister who is organizing the whole thing is working hard to get all the brothers, sisters and husbands and wives to participate and share the cost. If everyone participates there will be 8 adults and 6 kids all living in one house for a week.

There is four bedrooms and ten beds so some of us will be sleeping on the floor, on the sofa or doubling up in double sized beds. It's going to be tight.

It could be a great opportunity for lots of good food, drink and conversation or maybe lots of fights, little sleep and general conflict. We have never done this before.

If you and 13 other family members had a chance to share a beach house, would you be interested, and if so, what would happen?

Would I be interested? HELL NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships