Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 06:12 PM

153 posts, read 114,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
No woman is required to "give an excuse" about why she gravitates towards men, or why she prefers male friends. What you are reading here are explanations, not "excuses" - because they don't owe you one. These women can do whatever they damn well please. They don't have to make excuses, ask anyone's permission or anything else. They can make their own choice of who they want to be friends with, or don't.
When you have so many women such as here denigrating their own gender I think it is in order. Women should always support other women, just like Madeline Albright says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msMhG_FUnXE

Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
No woman is required to "give an excuse" about why she gravitates towards men, or why she prefers male friends. What you are reading here are explanations, not "excuses" - because they don't owe you one. These women can do whatever they damn well please. They don't have to make excuses, ask anyone's permission or anything else. They can make their own choice of who they want to be friends with, or don't.
And you should be friends with whomever you want, but all of this "I'm not like other women" is a crock, IMO. All women aren't one way and you (general you) are the exception, so you need to be friends with men instead.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:53 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,709,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
When you have so many women such as here denigrating their own gender I think it is in order. Women should always support other women, just like Madeline Albright says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msMhG_FUnXE
Sorry, but no, women should not "always" support other women. For me, it's a case by case situation. If someone is doing something I feel is morally wrong or unethical, I'm not going to support her. And sometimes I'm going to support a man instead. It all depends. But no, women shouldn't just point blank support all other women, no matter what those women are doing.

And I don't think it's wrong for a woman to choose not to vote for another woman for president.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
My general view is, if the people (male and female) you're predominantly encountering don't share your values or interests, why are you predominantly moving in those circles? I work in a field I am passionate about, and I participate in groups and organizations I enjoy. Therefore it's not hard to mostly be around folks with whom I have something in common, both male and female. Am I going to be soulmates with them all, of course not, but we're interacting based on our commonalities, not gossiping about, I don't know, mascara or boyfriends whatever it is those dastardly "most women" are supposedly all about. And some of them become real friends.

There's nothing inherently wrong with makeup or jewelry or romantic drama or whatever, anyway. The fact that it doesn't float my boat doesn't mean it needs to be pooh-pooh'd. All human interests with long and storied pasts.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:45 PM

176 posts, read 177,324 times
My friends are mostly men because I tend to be more of a tomboy. I mountain bike, hike and ski and I tend to do those things with guys. I don't wear make up, get my nails done, go to the spa, shop for fancy clothes etc.

however I do have some female friends and value their friendships. I don't think "Im not like other women" or "don't like other women" or whatever.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:29 AM

208 posts, read 258,007 times
I agree with Anrev. I enjoy outdoor, athletic activities and cannot find women in my area who enjoying doing these things. The women I've encountered in my hometown tend to have very limited interests and only want to go shopping, eat out, or see chick flicks. None of which appeal to me.

Friendships have to have common interests to work.

Yes, I do have a few female friends....but not many. And no, I wouldn't "support" a woman just because she's a woman, if her interests and values aren't what I believe in.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:43 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:
sorry, but no, women should not "always" support other women. For me, it's a case by case situation. If someone is doing something i feel is morally wrong or unethical, i'm not going to support her. And sometimes i'm going to support a man instead. It all depends. But no, women shouldn't just point blank support all other women, no matter what those women are doing.

And i don't think it's wrong for a woman to choose not to vote for another woman for president.
+1.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:00 AM

676 posts, read 528,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's another thing about women; they expect you to be "nice" all the time. I prefer being real.
Women? You mean all women or most women? And does that mean that men keep it real, but women do not?

Sounds like women should be second class citizens, they sure are a bunch of bitchy ****s.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:04 AM

676 posts, read 528,666 times
Quote:
Of course .... it's not a question of whether they are 'allowed' to make friends with whomever they please. The question is whether they should feel any obligation at all to their own sex because of the second class position that sex has been relegated to and it's attempts to free itself of that position.

In other words, should women be obliged to try, as best they are able, to help women in general toward a societal reform where both sexes are treated equally?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:14 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
Women? You mean all women or most women? And does that mean that men keep it real, but women do not?

Sounds like women should be second class citizens, they sure are a bunch of bitchy ****s.
That was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I don't think there's much humor to be found on this thread (at least by the OP). Does everything today have to be politicized? Even friendship? SMH!

Last edited by otterhere; 02-21-2017 at 06:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.