Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 02:41 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Masa, in NYC, costs $595 per person (not including drinks and dessert). The servers refuse gratuities.
Which means that tip cost of about $100 is taxable now that it's built into the price. It also means that Masa can now go about its practice of illegally distributing rightful tips to kitchen staff for which they have been found guilty in court and no longer be guilty of anything...until they reverse this policy as have virtually all restaurants which adapted it in the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 04:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I saw your claim the first time which is why I asked why you would go there in the first place? If you want personal service why would you go to a place that requires you to put in your own order? And 15% is cheap, certainly not the norm in full service restaurants, but you haven't said where you are that makes you believe it is the standard.
You don't always know they have the table tablets until you go in and sit down! Things change all the time. I'm in Upstate NY where 15% is the norm. Like I'm going to say my specific location.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:58 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Valid points. But since this is not the system currently, one has to deal with the reality here and now.
Until the system changes, let's not blame the server.
I'm not blaming the servers. They're taking advantage of the system to benefit themselves, and I don't blame them for that. But I disagree that we have to simply "deal with the reality". We, as consumers, have the power to change the system. Stop tipping and demand a clear, upfront price for what is being purchased, just as we do with every other business. It's very simple. If the price tag indicates a pair shoes is $63.00; that's what I pay, irregardless of how attentive/inattentive the salesman was. If the menu states a dish is $23; that's what I should be expected to pay. Don't expect me to give the server a "tip" because the government allows his employer to pay him a substandard wage.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:15 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I'm not blaming the servers. They're taking advantage of the system to benefit themselves, and I don't blame them for that. But I disagree that we have to simply "deal with the reality". We, as consumers, have the power to change the system. Stop tipping and demand a clear, upfront price for what is being purchased, just as we do with every other business. It's very simple. If the price tag indicates a pair shoes is $63.00; that's what I pay, irregardless of how attentive/inattentive the salesman was. If the menu states a dish is $23; that's what I should be expected to pay. Don't expect me to give the server a "tip" because the government allows his employer to pay him a substandard wage.
I don't want to not tip so I simply don't eat out much. I can cook better steaks and burgers myself anyways with apple wood and charcoal cooked how I want instead of burnt and dry which is how all the local places cook burgers

Old 06-10-2017, 08:35 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Do you think this waiter would prefer to just be paid $15/hour?

How about the server here -- do you think she would prefer to just be paid $15/hour?

How about here?
Your post is a rather silly one, and I'm not sure what your point is. Of course, restaurant servers would prefer to be paid more, like anyone. The question here is: who should determine their pay rate? Their customers or their employer? We have a federal minimum wage. Shouldn't every restaurant owner be obligated to pay their employees this wage, like every other business? Do restaurant servers do anything different than other salespeople? Why should I be expected to pay extra in order to compensate for what the server's employer is not paying them?

Old 06-10-2017, 09:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Which means that tip cost of about $100 is taxable now that it's built into the price. It also means that Masa can now go about its practice of illegally distributing rightful tips to kitchen staff for which they have been found guilty in court and no longer be guilty of anything...until they reverse this policy as have virtually all restaurants which adapted it in the past few years.
Nah, the all-inclusive pricing model might just bring us out of the Dark Ages. It works for me.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:18 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
I'm not sure if it should be continued here or separated into a separate thread but what is this reportedly widespread practice that I've never seen of ordering tablets on the table? And I've eaten at restaurants in at least 45 of the 50 states. What type of places (other than those that just reheat already prepared food) have this "feature?" I'm not at all a fan of chains; is this common in some?

How does one inquire about a menu item? Are there adequate options for tailoring a dish to one's preferences? A lot of people spend their entire workday linked to a computer of some kind, why would they want to continue at a time most prefer to relax and get away for a change of pace?

Old 06-10-2017, 10:35 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if it should be continued here or separated into a separate thread but what is this reportedly widespread practice that I've never seen of ordering tablets on the table? And I've eaten at restaurants in at least 45 of the 50 states. What type of places (other than those that just reheat already prepared food) have this "feature?" I'm not at all a fan of chains; is this common in some?

How does one inquire about a menu item? Are there adequate options for tailoring a dish to one's preferences? A lot of people spend their entire workday linked to a computer of some kind, why would they want to continue at a time most prefer to relax and get away for a change of pace?
I've only seen them twice. A couple of years ago, we went to Chili's and there was one on the table. Still, a server came over and took our order. Last year, I saw one at the Olive Garden. Again, a server came to the table. She said it was optional as to whether we wanted to use the tablet or not. Personally, I much prefer giving my order to a server.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:40 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
...what is this reportedly widespread practice that I've never seen of ordering tablets on the table?...What type of places (other than those that just reheat already prepared food) have this "feature?...is this common in some?...
Pay-at-Table tablet

Old 06-10-2017, 10:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:

Panera, McDonald's, Chili's, Applebee's, Friendly's all have them. Probably others chains have them as well. Some mom & pop places have them.

You click on the menu item and tells you about it just like a menu. Some places you can modify the meal. Some you can't.

Tablets are far cheaper than employees! And let's be honest, taking an order isn't exactly rocket science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships