Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 07:13 AM

9,881 posts, read 7,766,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
PS I opened my blinds last night to see what it would be like. Two front porch lights shined in, as well as street lights. One was really bright from way across, seemed like a beam directed at me, so bright! I was all ugh! Glad I have blinds............
And I looked around our room last night, no lights shining in our bedroom.

My neighbor has a light that shines on his backyard workshop part of the evening, but the light doesn't come on my property, so it doesn't come in our bedroom. I can only see it when I stand right at the window and look next door. Can't see it when I'm laying down. All good.

The angle of the light is important. Even with a motion detector. That's why I asked earlier if the OP went outside last night to see if or how far the light was shining on her neighbor's yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 07:18 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,809,691 times
I can't believe this thread is 26 pages. There are three simple options. Either talk to the lady about it and try to come to a compromise, give in to her demand or ignore it and do whatever you want.

I think you've already made your mind up anyway and came here to get a pat on the back about how you're right and she's wrong.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,877,817 times
Enough of the bumper stickers drums in the garage and swimming pool- if those are the only three things she's complained about in 20 years she should be nominated for sainthood.

I don't like the color red, if you pair it with turquoise I refuse to look at it-- it hurts my head. I guess I'm weird like that, but does that mean if I asked you to stop doing something that's bothering me and you can, you should just ignore me and have no respect because I complained about something one other time to someone?

Old 01-02-2018, 07:27 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,420,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
And I looked around our room last night, no lights shining in our bedroom.

I had light shining in my window last night and it was pretty bright. It was the moon

Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 AM

9,881 posts, read 7,766,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I had light shining in my window last night and it was pretty bright. It was the moon
It was beautiful last night! By the time I went to bed, it was already past my windows and very dark.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:30 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I wonder what the older neighbor does about the moon. Does she file complaints with City Hall on the nights of a full moon?

Old 01-02-2018, 09:35 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,995,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Well there's definitely two totally different schools of thought on this- some strongly believe a homeowner should be allowed to have a basic safety lamp that the local police dept recommends and that this person can easily make some type of reasonable accommodation for this because as some put it safety trumps a neighbors delicate preferences;
while some others feel their neighbors shouldn't be allowed to place a light in their own yard for safety so that someone can have no window shading so they can feel like they're out in the country under the moon and stars.
I love sleeping in darkness with the moon and stars and when I want to be able to not see any lighting or hear any traffic, then I go to the mountains or some other nature area for a few days, and enjoy. Other times when I really need to block out the world I turn on a sound screen device hat plays white noise with ocean waves if a neighbor is having a loud party and I want to just have peace and quiet( and if the loud noise were to go on til really late at night I would because that isn't a reasonable thing, call them and ask if they can turn down the noise a bit in a polite way. I wouldn't request this until a little after midnight though. But unless I'm staying in the mountains a few days or this beach preserve , I realize that where I live is a suburb neighborhood with others also living nearby, and don't believe I have the right to dictate or demand others turn off all lights and not drive by my home.

Those who did see her side but didn't bother to address what is a key part of all this ---that she has a pattern of making demands of other neighbors for trivial reasons not related to lighting , which is why she comes across entitled to some-- if it was just a one issue thing about lighting that would be different but she has a pattern of being intrusive and dictating about trivial stuff to other neighbors--like wanting one guy to remove his bumper sticker because she said it was an eye sore. I don't want to repeat that but it seems like it bears repeating since that is a key part of all this. Should he remove the bumper sticker so she doesn't have to look at an eyesore? She seems to have problems with her eyes, that causes others to roll theirs
And you've decided that "your school" is the correct one. Yet you think she's the entitled neighbor? Interesting.....

Old 01-02-2018, 11:23 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,902,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
That's another point, how one would always be alerted every night.. how nerve-wracking, only to end up possibly disregarding it, since it keeps being activated.
You don't have to be alerted when the light is on because chances are it's a false alarm. It's more to keep burglars from wandering around for any length of time in the dark (what they want). It really is a non-issue for you as the owner. We have them and the only time it keeps turning on and off repeatedly is when the wind is rustling the foliage, a lot. Basically a handful of times a year maybe.

IMO, the neighbor has a valid point as long as they have curtains and are trying to block it out. Black-out curtains shouldn't be required - they are less than ideal for everyday living. Motion-sensing lighting is the best compromise for all, and should've been in every single reply since page 1.

OP, if you simply can't stand your neighbor, you can just tell her "tough (excrement)".

Old 01-02-2018, 12:35 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,603,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Seems somewhat entitled to me if that's the right word--in our backyard we have one rather small light to just give some lighting to the side yard- it's for safety reasons to discourage break- ins. An older woman lives next door- from where her window is wouldn't allow for that much light of ours to bother her but she asked us to please turn the light off "because it hurts her eyes"??? How would it hurt her eyes, that's just something she said because she feels entitled because it kind of goes along with how she is- she wouldn't be staring into our light- there's trees, a fence and the light is small- is not a "floodlight" but is just a basic lamp to give some soft lighting to discourage burglars.

I don't think we should not be able to turn a light on in our own yard, it's not a floodlight or multiple lights . I don't want to have any bad feelings between us but also don't want to be a doormat.any thoughts?
You have to do what you think is best for safety, within reason. You can't deal with people who insist things be their way or the highway. So be nice, be pleasant, explain...but continue doing what you think is best for your safety.

I agree that lighting is very important to discourage criminals.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:38 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,327,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I can't believe this thread is 26 pages.
I was just thinking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships