Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 03:10 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I called the cops so often that I figured I didn't need to dial 911. Why get a a 911 operator's adrenaline going if I don't need to? So I'd just dial the station number. It went to the same place but the operator didn't need to jump on it and instantly ask, "What emergency are you reporting?" because technically, there wasn't any emergency. I just needed assistance. Besides, that meant the one time I did dial 911 the cops knew it was serious.

Ad before anyone asks, I mainly called because of people driving off who were drunk. Got a lot of stories about those guys, too.
I have the non emergency dispatch number in my cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 03:20 PM

1,847 posts, read 834,132 times
I ran into the unusual situation of a cashier not knowing what the value of the coins where.
My change was exactly $5.75 .The trainer showed her how to open the register, then pointed to the 5 dollar bill and said "three coins" before walking off. The cashier then gave me a five and just stared at the coins for a good 20 seconds before picking up a nickle and a quarter and examined them closely. Sure enough she handed me three nickles and said bye.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I know a guy in the neighborhood that supports his METH habit by "short changing" convenience stores and fast food places around town. He doesn't get greedy but when he hits thirty or forty places every day he manages to buy his dope and still pay the bills.

I have a friend that works as an investigator for several businesses in inventory control and employee thefts and she says cash register shortages are almost as large as the losses to shoplifters in SOME stores.
A lot of cash register shortages are due to employee theft, not customer theft. Which makes sense because employees have easier access to the money inside the cash registers. Also, a lot of cash register shortages are due to errors in handling money. Its not all because of con artists coming in stores to trick the cashiers.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
Awesome, since I've done both, I can carry on putting down cashiers who can't do math and putting down waiters who provide crap service. If just one jerk ruins your entire shift, then you need to get out of the customer service business altogether.
Eh, some customers are just total morons who are also jerks and will treat you like you are below them or call you racist for enforcing company policy... Some good employees can be hurt by these jerks if they are the vocal kind who complain to corporate, even if they were in the wrong.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:22 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,249,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
You probably just got her off guard. People don't think well when they're put on the spot. It might of been her first time that a customer was picky with his/her change. On top of doing the simple math, they're also asking "why does she want to do it this way?". As well as "why does she just want 5 back? Aren't there supposed to be cents involved?" All the while there is usually a line behind the first person, and she feels pressured, so she defaulted to her usual way of business. She probably had a long day at a job she hates, and may not be the smartest person in the world. And smart people have brain fog all the time.

It's happened to me, and I attribute it to brain fog. Cashiers are supposed to check you out, not do math for you so you can get the TYPE of change YOU want. Might not be a big deal for somebody one time with a fresh brain, but after 7 hours you have to forgive people for not being calculators.
This. I used to be a cashier back in the day. People giving me extra money to only get paper bills back would often times throw me off, especially working a lunch shift with 30 customers behind the current customer. I'm not and wasn't stupid, but doing math off the top of my head while being pressured to get people through a checkout line is not my strong point. This is always why I fully explain if I want to do something similar to cashiers now.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:40 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
When did basic math get so hard for people?
Decades ago. I suggest getting in the line of an East Asian cashier.

(FYI: I am lily white and my math is great, but I am not a millennial or younger, i.e. the generations that cannot count change.)

Old 01-12-2018, 09:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
She could take the 10% amount, divide by 5, then add that amount to the 10% amount.

That is so far above what most people can do. You might as well ask them to do a dissertation on the Theory of Relativity.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yes but the OP did this too late in the transaction. She did this AFTER the till was closed. I would say I understand but I'm sorry the till is closed, and so is the transaction.
No, I explained and made the request before the cashier opened the till. She closed it 2x before the transaction was successfully completed. I wouldn't have requested special change if the drawer was already closed. She had the change in her hand for a few moments and shut the drawer during the first attempt.

She actually kept the drawer open for an unusually long time during each portion of the transaction.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:56 AM

9,866 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
I ran into the unusual situation of a cashier not knowing what the value of the coins where.
My change was exactly $5.75 .The trainer showed her how to open the register, then pointed to the 5 dollar bill and said "three coins" before walking off. The cashier then gave me a five and just stared at the coins for a good 20 seconds before picking up a nickle and a quarter and examined them closely. Sure enough she handed me three nickles and said bye.
Ahh, how sad that is. This little girl must never have had a piggy bank, allowances or money from the tooth fairy.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:55 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No, I explained and made the request before the cashier opened the till. She closed it 2x before the transaction was successfully completed. I wouldn't have requested special change if the drawer was already closed. She had the change in her hand for a few moments and shut the drawer during the first attempt.

She actually kept the drawer open for an unusually long time during each portion of the transaction.
I apologize for misconstruing the issue. As I stated before, when I have done exchanges/refunds, I never really had an ability to add the change for the actual transaction of the refunded monies. So if you were going to get 4.95 and you were going to give me three dimes to get a Lincoln and a quarter, it wouldn't show up on your return receipt. What would was the 4.95 tender for the refund. That means that it would basically be an "under-the-table" transaction which you shouldn't really do at a store. If it was a purchase, different story but you would need to communicate that with your cashier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships