Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 01:02 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1958 View Post
I guess the important thing here is you managed to feel superior to a minimum-wage cashier. You go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Who are often teens or working through college or working part-time because they have a spouse and kids at home and don't really need a full-time job but want/need something to do during the day.
Getting paid minimum wage does not excuse being a moron, which is what you are if you can't do basic addition and subtraction on a scale of 1-100

there's just no sugar coating this, you are a complete moron if you can't process that sort of basic math
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 01:02 PM

1,347 posts, read 946,395 times
I don't understand this triumphant "look I confused/tricked the cashier" business. I just want to pay for my purchase with a smooth transaction and move on with my day.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:12 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Getting paid minimum wage does not excuse being a moron, which is what you are if you can't do basic addition and subtraction on a scale of 1-100

there's just no sugar coating this, you are a complete moron if you can't process that sort of basic math
No, you aren’t. I know very smart people who can’t spell. Not everyone is good at everything.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

Feel better now bud?

Old 01-09-2018, 01:17 PM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I used to frequently hand them a $5 and then dig around and if I found the needed change to round things off so I would get quarters or dollars back then I would give it to them. However, if they already punched int he $5 and the machine told them what change to produce, when I handed them coins to even it out, they woudl just stand there staring at the read out on the register trying to figure out what to do. I finally gave up.

Now for fun I sometimes give them a $2 bill or aa gold dollar or one of those dollar coins that look like a quarter. Some do not even blink an eye, others run and get the manager. "Look at this thing that guy gave me, is this money?"
I had a sharp-eyed young woman last week at a deli where I bought lunch. I gave her the change, and she immediately handed a coin back and said, "That's Canadian". I do visit Canada so always have some of their money on me, but I keep it in a separate place. The nickel must have gotten mixed in with my regular change.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:20 PM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
No, you aren’t. I know very smart people who can’t spell. Not everyone is good at everything.
I know smart people who can't spell, either, but you don't encourage them to get writing or editorial jobs. A cashier has to know basic grade-school arithmetic and be familiar with US currency. That's not really asking a lot, but if a person really does not have those skills, they have to find a job that doesn't require them.

People who just like to jerk a cashier's chain because he or she is behind a counter is another issue. Working as a cashier during and after high school drove me back to school to learn how to type. I never wanted to work with the public again.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:24 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie66 View Post
These big box stores also put alot of pressure on the cashiers! Work faster, keep the line going! They do keep track on how long it takes for a cashier to ring and you get told about it if you fall under the "average" because your trying your best to work with the customer. They don't care about the why it took so long! Your written up if the drawer is short which causes paranoia. I worked for a big box store, probably the box store you were in. The expectations of the cashier is ridiculous. They tend to forget that the cashier is human.

Sometimes I really do believe that. Much as I like my job, and my customers, I sometimes feel totally taken for granted. As for those "expectations", well, we are truly between a rock and a hard place. We have management on one side and customers on the other side and we have to please them ALL.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:24 PM

666 posts, read 643,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I don't understand this triumphant "look I confused/tricked the cashier" business. I just want to pay for my purchase with a smooth transaction and move on with my day.
^ I also don't understand the smug back patting and the apparent need to recite these stories about "that time I confused the cashier at the grocery". Believe me, they just want to get you through the line and out the door. It is a contest to be won only in the mind of a certain kind of customer.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know smart people who can't spell, either, but you don't encourage them to get writing or editorial jobs. A cashier has to know basic grade-school arithmetic and be familiar with US currency. That's not really asking a lot, but if a person really does not have those skills, they have to find a job that doesn't require them.

People who just like to jerk a cashier's chain because he or she is behind a counter is another issue. Working as a cashier during and after high school drove me back to school to learn how to type. I never wanted to work with the public again.
Same here.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:35 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

But if they can do the cashier’s job for the most part and aren’t frequently messing things up, I don’t think they’re unqualified for the position just because some people (not including their employer) might not think their math skills are strong enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships