Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 11:49 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You probably don't have a clue what a subnet is, do you?
During World War II it was a steel mesh net strung across the entrance to a bay. Its purpose was to keep enemy subs out of the harbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 11:51 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie66 View Post
Some are saying things about how the cashier can't make change, I've had plenty of "customers" that couldn't count either! So, it goes both ways.
True, but the customer isn't responsible for ensuring the till matches the day's take.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah i think it is corporate. I normally have to make returns at Wal-Mart because that has the most returnable items for whatever reason. They just give cash and not put it back into the debit account. I guess the mechanics are "too complex" for Wal-Mart system or the system just don't work with walmart.

As for the "lecture" you seem to paint the cashier with that brush. I know that depending on the store and the situation, managers are needed in various cashier situations whether price corrections, returns, exchanges, checks, etc. based on company policy.
I made that call because she had a colleague helping her with the entire transaction and typing in the codes for the return. She didn't know the code and didn't know how to do it when I walked up and she asked for help from a more experienced peer.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:28 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
if the bill is $4.85, I might give a cashier $5.10 so I can receive a quarter as change. And sometimes the cashier will attempt to give me the dime back saying I have overpaid. Other times they'll type it jntomthe till and understand be goal (and maybe clarify if they are out of quarters that day). I'd consider that basic math.
Because math is hard for some people, especially doing it IN YOUR HEAD while a customer is looking at you, waiting. It can be a lot of pressure. I wouldn't be able to look at $4.85 and do the math in my head in the few seconds I'm standing there to know that you adding 10 cents to your $5 bill would make the change 25 cents. So sue me.

If this was the first time a cashier saw this, then it's understandable that they're confused. It really does look like you're overpaying. But next time, they'll know and they'll know what to do. Give the freaking cashier a break. That's how they learn.

The first time I was a cashier in high school and the change was $1-$1-$1-$1 and someone handed me an extra $1 (why??), they told me to give them a $5 bill. At the time, I was confused, but after I had down time and had time to myself to think about it, I understood. After that, I knew what to do the next time.

I used to pay part of my bill with cash and the rest credit card. Cashiers would look at me funny because no one's ever asked them to pay this way, so I stopped because I didn't want to confuse them or make them do more work.

Last edited by sas318; 01-08-2018 at 12:53 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 12:43 PM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I worked at an ice cream chain place through school and people frequently tried to pay with $100 bills to get change back (always lovely 20 minutes after we first opened and didn’t yet have enough change in the register) or would pay in ALL coins rather than rolling coins at the bank or something. Eventually my bosses stopped accepting $100 bills, mostly because we were getting some counterfeits but also because we were not a personal bank for you to break your 100 by buying a $3 cone.

One thing I hated was people who would give me cash then after I put the transaction into the register, give me inexact change. I have NEVER been good at math, it has never been my strong suit, especially not under pressure when we had long lines on busy nights. After my experience working there, if I’m going to pay with cash and change I ALWAYS tell the cashier “hold on I may have the change” before I hand over the bills, before they put the final transaction in the register because I know what it’s like to be flustered by customers who surprise you by unexpectedly handing you change once it appeared they were done paying and you already cashed the register out.
Yes, that's the right thing to do, especially now that they are on autopilot with the register telling them the change. If I don't have the exact change already in my hand when it's time to pay, I'm not going to start rooting around in the bottom of my purse looking for it.

I usually plan when I am going to get rid of change because I am older now and life is too short to roll change to take to the bank, and I don't need jars full of change for my daughter to find when I am dead.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Because math is hard for some people, especially doing it IN YOUR HEAD while a customer is looking at you, waiting. It can be a lot of pressure. I wouldn't be able to look at $4.85 and do the math in my head in the few seconds I'm standing there to know that you adding 10 cents to your $5 bill would make the change 25 cents. So sue me.

If this was the first time a cashier saw this, then it's understandable that they're confused. It really does look like you're overpaying. But next time, they'll know and they'll know what to do. Give the freaking cashier a break. That's how they learn.

The first time I was a cashier in high school and the change was $1-$1-$1-$1 and someone handed me an extra $1 (why??), they told me to give them a $5 bill. At the time, I was confused, but after I had down time and had time to myself to think about it, I understood. After that, I knew what to do the next time.

I used to pay part of my bill with cash and the rest credit card. Cashiers would look at me funny because I was the first person who's ever asked them to pay this way, so I stopped because I didn't want to confuse them or make them do more work.
LOL...but I think that is the OP's point that started the thread. If someone doesn't have the skills to do mental elementary school arithmetic, how did they get a job handling cash? Although, I do think the person who wants a quarter back should state that clearly. "I need a quarter, so here's a dime so that you can give me a quarter instead of 15 cents."

This thread has made me really happy that those days of needing to hoard quarters for laundry are long over.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:48 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I just had a return at Walmart the other day. They just put the refund back on my card.

I have done many returns at Walmart over the years. It depends if you have a receipt. If you do they refund the money the same way you paid it. If you don't have a receipt and it's under a certain amount, they give you cash, if it's over a certain amount they give you a store credit. Sorry I don't know that amount

Old 01-08-2018, 12:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL...but I think that is the OP's point that started the thread. If someone doesn't have the skills to do mental elementary school arithmetic, how did they get a job handling cash? Although, I do think the person who wants a quarter back should state that clearly. "I need a quarter, so here's a dime so that you can give me a quarter instead of 15 cents."

This thread has made me really happy that those days of needing to hoard quarters for laundry are long over.
I'm really good at math, but if I'm tired (depending on how tired I am) I cannot make change for a quarter. Seriously.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'm really good at math, but if I'm tired (depending on how tired I am) I cannot make change for a quarter. Seriously.
Yeah, sometimes if I'm tired I can't remember my own name.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:06 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yay for you? What is your point? My point is that in the general population there isn't a lot of use for being able to being able to calculate change back because it's a rarely needed skill.
Unless your job requires you to use an abacus or a slide rule, your skill in it is worthless in an everyday setting except to give you bragging rights?
Subnetting, yeah, there's a handy application that everyone needs to know to get through their days. I'm fairly certain that 'most' people who are bemoaning the lack of cashiering skills don't have those wonderful math skills you are bragging about either, lol.

The OP asked when did the skill of counting change become a lost art. The answer is that it became a lost art when cashiers were given computers to calculate the change back and made it unnecessary for them to use that skill. Is it that incomprehensible?
You generalized that people my age have no current skills. I will remind you it is my generation that developed the computers to where they are today, and your ageism stuck in my craw. Don't do that, and I undertake not to generally diss millennials either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships