Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 07:48 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Because no one has ever explained the process of counting back change. It's not about the math it's about how they think about the problem. They are on the spot and thinking they are subtracting and you are adding in other things to think about when all they have to do is count back. No one has explained that to them and they've grown up with cash registers that give them the answer. I have no doubt that if it were properly explained, most could do the actual math. It's just not ever been taught.
If you're in a MW environment, you especially shouldn't expect everyone to know everything. It's more important that they're able to learn.
For example, at a Sam's Club, a young lady at the customer service register had to be taught by her older supervisor the "proper way" to make change for a $20 in quarters.... 5 stacks of 4 quarters. Both sides nod off on that. Transaction done.
I worked at a Kmart. My mother was surprised I still didn't know how to properly fold shirts. She nor my manager never taught me. She, and apparently my manager just assumed "I would know". Yet, she couldn't figure out how to work a flip phone even with me and her friends teaching her. BTW, her friends were her age and managed to figure it out on their own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 07:51 PM

855 posts, read 624,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I went to a big box store for a return today. I had paid with my debit and they needed to give me cash back. It was $4 and some change. So I asked the cashier if I could just give her $1 so she could give me a $5 instead.

So she took my one. Then tried to hand it back to me with the change. So I said can you trade this for a $5? She had shut the drawer (and not yet handed me the coins). Then she had to get the drawer open again. Then she got the $5 and put the change back. And shut the drawer. Then finally she got someone to open it again and I got all my change.

Several years ago I stopped trying to maximize my quarters because people were just too confused when I gave the a dime with my bills when the total change was 85 cents.

When did basic math get so hard for people?
First off, when the goal is to get people through the line as quickly and
efficiently as possible, it's not the time to play Math Whiz, especially
since the register usually tells the cashier how much change to give.

Secondly, quick-change artists try to get all fancy with the change; that's
how they throw the cashier off balance and come away with more money
than they were owed. So it's best just not to go there. It carries the
potential of looking suspicious.

A good rule of thumb for the cashier is to give whatever change the
register says to give, once that drawer opens. Any attempts to change
things up (pardon the pun) on the customer's part after that will just have to wait.
After all, good math skills *also* involve customers knowing exactly what they're
going to give the cashier *before* the cashier enters it into the computer.

Meanwhile, many retail workers are wondering how reading got so
hard for people, given how often customers can't seem to read
signs. But that's another thread!

-

Old 01-08-2018, 08:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
When I worked as a cashier at my first job, I would countback unless there was a huge line. Why, I didn't want to tie it up when not nessicary such as items not ringing up. In my second job at a gas station the way I did it with my first job "was wrong and too slow" even if the lines were only bad when groups of day-laborers came in at about 2/3 In the afternoon.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
First off, when the goal is to get people through the line as quickly and
efficiently as possible, it's not the time to play Math Whiz, especially
since the register usually tells the cashier how much change to give.

Secondly, quick-change artists try to get all fancy with the change; that's
how they throw the cashier off balance and come away with more money
than they were owed. So it's best just not to go there. It carries the
potential of looking suspicious.

A good rule of thumb for the cashier is to give whatever change the
register says to give, once that drawer opens. Any attempts to change
things up (pardon the pun) on the customer's part after that will just have to wait.
After all, good math skills *also* involve customers knowing exactly what they're
going to give the cashier *before* the cashier enters it into the computer.

Meanwhile, many retail workers are wondering how reading got so
hard for people, given how often customers can't seem to read
signs. But that's another thread!

-
lol Good point. How about we talk about entitlement and other attitudes customers have? When signs right in front of their faces at the register window say "sorry we do NOT accept $100 bills" and they try to pay with a hundred and are surprised when told they can't?

This is just another "this generation today blah blah!" thread in disguise. Well, I have plenty of complaints about other generations and people in general. I don't work with cash registers anymore but because of the general public, I'm glad I got out when I did because I could barely stand it anymore.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:40 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's just really sad. I wonder if that cashier thinks they should be paid $15 an hour. Learn some basic math then you'll be worth $15 an hour.
Love it! When I saw the OP, my answer was no. I have seen them pull out a calculator, unless the cash register automatically calculates, then I will say the amount of my change.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:58 PM

855 posts, read 624,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's just really sad. I wonder if that cashier thinks they should be paid $15 an hour. Learn some basic math then you'll be worth $15 an hour.
Your elitism is showing.

They're not being paid to do math. They're part of a structure that
facilitates getting products to you with minimal skill or effort on your part.

You're welcome. ;-)

-

Old 01-08-2018, 10:25 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Cashiers really can’t do math anymore
Definitely not! And therefore I love to torture them

You should see the bewildered faces when I hand them $5.29 for a $4.04 transaction

Old 01-08-2018, 10:54 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
For example, at a Sam's Club, a young lady at the customer service register had to be taught by her older supervisor the "proper way" to make change for a $20 in quarters.... 5 stacks of 4 quarters. Both sides nod off on that. Transaction done.
That's only $5. Having a bad math day? I guess it's not just the cashiers.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:09 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
This has been the case for probably 20-30 years. They don't have to do it anymore, so they aren't practiced at it. I'm of above average intelligence, but it would take me a moment to do it. That's just not how my brain works. At one time, I was a server and made all my own change. I haven't had to do it in 20 years.
Yep. I worked as a cashier for several years in high school and college and I was used to making change. But once everyone switched to electronic cash registers that did all the calculations, it became a lost skill. Why would you expect people to know how do do something that is no longer part of their job?

On a similar note, how many people memorize phone numbers anymore? Most everyone I know does not, because we all have cell phones which memorize the numbers for us, so it's mental effort that most people no longer bother with.

It's less about the math and more about people learning and remembering what they need in their everyday lives. Even for a cashier, doing the calculations to make change no longer falls into that category.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:30 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,901,566 times
I don't understand how customers wouldn't want you to count back unless you're the slowest counter ever. Even when I had a line wrapped around my store, I always counted the cash back. I was the one who would get written up if the cash was off when I balkanced the till, not the customer. And it took me about 2 seconds to count back the cash anyway.

What really held up my line all the time were the people who just had to scrounge in their purses and pockets to get exact change. I used to finish the transaction and ask them to step aside until they found their change, then go on to the next customer. Sometimes I'd have three or more customers all standing at the counter digging for exact change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships