Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 11:23 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Thank you for catching my mistake. It is way harder to type out an explanation than just doing it. I usually don't type things out. It took me longer to think about how to explain my thought process than just doing it.
I don't really care that you thought 10% minus .2% was 8%; just pointing out the irony and suggesting maybe you shouldn't be throwing stones at cashiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 AM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I've worked as a cashier and didn't experience this on a regular basis at all, and certainly not "several times a night, every night", as you were. If you really are getting all those negative reactions from customers, on a daily basis, you need to ask yourself what you are doing that is so offensive.

I also didn't see all the scams going on that you said you experienced. Most people just want to pay for their stuff and get out. I got the occasional bad check, that was about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Methinks the poster does exaggerate a bit. She claims she was called b**ch every day, several times a day, they all yelled at her and were constantly trying to pull scams. That's hard to believe, even if she was cashiering in the State Pen. Sure, there are occasional rude customers! Nobody said there weren't. But her story doesn't mesh with reality. Most people just want to pay for their stuff and get out. If you are being called names all day long by customers, you need to ask yourself what you are doing wrong. I've worked with people who make up stuff or exaggerate stories about customers simply because they are frustrated with their jobs. I don't have to believe everything I hear.
BAWHAHAHAHA! I'll tell you what I was doing offensive to the customers. I was following the law and the rules my manager laid out for me. I carded people and didn't sell alcohol to those who were already drunk or underage. I also worked a grave shift for three years at 7-11. You haven't seen anything till you see the drunks come in and try to grab beer before the 2am cutoff.

Scams - which one do you want to know about? The one where the guy came in with a temporary check (no name, no address on it) made out to cash, claimed he had just moved into the neighborhood and needed money? He came in three times. Unfortunately, I was working cover shifts then, so was working the register all three times. The third time he just walked into the store with the check in his hand, saw me, and walked out again.

Or, let's see, the one where thirty people come in at once and one of them drops a full soda on the floor in the back of the store? When you go over to clean it up, a couple people reach over and get into the register (we had old types that could open without a sale) and the rest run out with everything they can carry.

Occasionally we'd pay a vendor with cash - ONLY the ones the manager allowed us to. But one of my coworkers got scammed by "window washers" that swiped the front window and then came in, presented a fake bill, and asked for a cash payment.

Or oh, hey, what about the woman who came in with her kid and claimed she lived right up the street and was locked out of her house? She needed money to pay the locksmith and when she got back into her house, she'd come right back to pay us.

And of course, the little scams like the kids who threw a first aid ID on my counter and told me it was a military ID and "a pack of Marlboros, please." I laughed them out of the store.

Then there was Mr. 6'4 who stood by the magazine racks and browsed magazines while looking over at the register and watching what we put in it.

And the guy who walked into our cooler claiming to look for the bathroom (he was looking for the office and after being kicked out by me and caught doing the same thing on the morning shift, came into the store in the morning AFTER I'd warned our manager and took her daily deposit off the desk in her office).

How many of you know your local police department's number by heart?

Sorry, guys, I know this is off topic, but this is just a little reminder that not all of us cashiers work in ivory towers. *still laughing*

And I have many more stories that I won't bore you with here.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 01-11-2018 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-11-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is so interesting. I used to wonder how people could not spell when once you've read a word you can call it up on the little screen inside your forehead and just read off the letters.

Came to find out that not everyone has a little screen inside their foreheads. And some of us don't have number lines, either.

I can do arithmetic, fractions, percentages, all pretty well, but when it comes to math like Algebra and above, that part of my brain is just missing. It's why I gave up trying to get a degree. Basic math was a requirement, and I spent the money and failed the remedial math course. It just does not stick.
I learned to call up license numbers. I could glance at a car and then "reconstruct" the plate number in my head.

You might want to try a different approach to the algebra. I was so fortunate that when I was in community college, I had a teacher who could explain the math different ways. He would make the standard explanation and everyone but me would understand it. Then he'd see my expression and explain it a different way and I'd be "I can understand that!" and the rest of the class would sit there totally confused.

Math is a very linear subject. If you're not a linear person, it's going to be difficult. If someone gives you directions and you find it easier to look at a map instead of reading directions, you're not linear. I put dollhouses together strictly by the pictures and what I see in front of me - I also have great spatial perception. But don't even think of asking me to read written instructions and understand those. Not in my genes.

A little more off topic, if you really want to get into algebra, I recommend the text book Beginning Algebra by Lial and Miller. My version is copyrighted from 1980, so I don't know if it's changed in the newer versions. But the book has lots of easy to understand examples, large print, colored type, and answers to half the problems in the back. In other words, a kiddie book and right up my alley.

The other thing is you have to use your algebra every day and I do use it, when comparing prices per pound when shopping and some of the COL/minimum wage situations I've posted here. Do that often enough and it'll stick.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:18 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
So I went to a big box store for a return today. I had paid with my debit and they needed to give me cash back. It was $4 and some change. So I asked the cashier if I could just give her $1 so she could give me a $5 instead.

So she took my one. Then tried to hand it back to me with the change. So I said can you trade this for a $5? She had shut the drawer (and not yet handed me the coins). Then she had to get the drawer open again. Then she got the $5 and put the change back. And shut the drawer. Then finally she got someone to open it again and I got all my change.

Several years ago I stopped trying to maximize my quarters because people were just too confused when I gave the a dime with my bills when the total change was 85 cents.

When did basic math get so hard for people?
A) They do not learn math the way us Boomers did, B) Electronics do it all for them. I have even seen when the register tells them the exact change to give, they can't count out the change! I recently noticed our neighborhood MickeyD's has the system where the chance comes out of the machine.

Dumb as a box of rocks these people are nowadays. Teachers don't even know how to count without electronics now! Sad, sad, sad.

Drives me nuts.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
A) They do not learn math the way us Boomers did, B) Electronics do it all for them. I have even seen when the register tells them the exact change to give, they can't count out the change! I recently noticed our neighborhood MickeyD's has the system where the chance comes out of the machine.

Dumb as a box of rocks these people are nowadays. Teachers don't even know how to count without electronics now! Sad, sad, sad.

Drives me nuts.
True, but do you know how to find the square root of a number without using a calculator? You'd be surprised at how many people don't.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
At the end of an eight hour shift I could hardly speak English, my native language, much less count.

I made plenty of mistakes when I was young.

I work in statistics now. Take it easy on people. They make mistakes. You do too.
I wasn't mean or rude to the cashier. I was patient and accommodating. It isn't allowed to rant on the internet?

Old 01-11-2018, 12:50 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,350 times
At a store yesterday I heard a cashier tell a customer, "If you give me a penny, I can give you back five cents." I laughed because the cashier didn't say nickel, so I pictured her handing back five pennies. I amuse myself.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:57 PM

638 posts, read 529,974 times
Quote:
I wasn't mean or rude to the cashier. I was patient and accommodating. It isn't allowed to rant on the internet?
You're accusing someone of not knowing how to do basic math when the reality is, all you witnessed was a mistake.

You're allowed to do whatever you want. But if you judge people you'll end up more hurt than they will. The advice was for you.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:02 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,969 times
I never had an issues with cashiers like some of the people in this thread. But I do have a positive story to share.

I got my change back from a cashier (local high school kid) and as he was handing it back to me he paused. He noticed one of the coins he gave me "didn't look right." He apologized and said he couldn't reopen the register, but would call a manager. I took a look at the coin, it was a buffalo nickle. I told him, it was a legitimate nickle, just a really old coin. He was in awe of it. So I let him keep it. As I was walking out of the store, I glanced back and he was still looking at it, turning it over in his hand.

Part of me wanted to keep it for myself because hey, cool old coin. But I just couldn't because this kid was so enamored. It was pretty well worn/circulated, I wasn't really sure what it was worth, but I figured in the condition it was in, it wasn't much. I looked it up later, it was worth about a dollar but to that kid, it was like a $100.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:54 PM

928 posts, read 970,751 times
Quote:
So I went to a big box store for a return today. I had paid with my debit and they needed to give me cash back. It was $4 and some change. So I asked the cashier if I could just give her $1 so she could give me a $5 instead.

So she took my one. Then tried to hand it back to me with the change. So I said can you trade this for a $5? She had shut the drawer (and not yet handed me the coins). Then she had to get the drawer open again. Then she got the $5 and put the change back. And shut the drawer. Then finally she got someone to open it again and I got all my change.

Several years ago I stopped trying to maximize my quarters because people were just too confused when I gave the a dime with my bills when the total change was 85 cents.

When did basic math get so hard for people?
I can say from my experience in the water/wastewater business. we used to be required to do many different calculations, flows, dose rates etc. daily when I started about 25 years ago. Over time computers and automatic equipment had taken over a large majority of the work. This leads to people not exercising their brain skills and the rest is obvious, it happened to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships