Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 04:07 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
If I lose my phone and I am not home I am screwed, lol. It's good thing I am law abiding because if I was ever in jail I wouldn't be able to make a phone call
You'd be surprised at how often that happens. Guy comes to jail and has no idea what any of contact's phone numbers are. If he's lucky, someone will let him look at his phone so he can phone numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 04:16 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've had a few traveler's checks but that's about it.
Are those things still around? I haven't seen one in decades.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:04 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
I don't really blame the cashiers for this. It seems like an undesirable job, and you probably have lots of things going through your mind all at once. That being said, from my standpoint, I do prefer machines. The last time I did something like this, I was at the self checkout. I think my item was $10.69. I put in 70 cents and a $20 to get back a 10 and a penny. I don't think I would have done the same with a human cashier.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:03 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Most cashiers haven't done math for years. Decades.

The machine is supposed to tell them what to do.

Just be careful of "making life simpler" for them. A while back I had a bill for something like $11.25. I gave the girl a quarter. The machine could not help her. Totally bumfuzzled.
Could it be that the cashier was waiting for the $11, since the the total was $11.25, and you "gave the girl a quarter"??

I swear, some of you have the most mystifying stories, that prove nothing about the intelligence of a cashier, and more about the customer.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
What do you mean "anymore"????
I am almost 70 and people working cash registers have had trouble for maybe 40+yrs making change --ever since software allowed electronic registers to read out the change amount
The younger the cashier, the worse the problem...
Sometimes they can't even find the right combo of coins to get the amount showing on the screen...

Old 01-09-2018, 06:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Also I want to point out that every once in a while, we also have brain farts. We as in everyone. When I worked at the ice cream place, I had to memorize people's orders and go make them, all shift long. Sometimes rather complex orders, not just simple cones. Large menu with many options. Sometimes people ordered two items, sometimes we had parties of 12+ (like kids sports teams) ordering at once and paying together. I have a good memory and normally was able to remember multiple items at once. Depending on how many items there were/how many people had to order, I would memorize the whole order or I would take it in parts, either way though normally I didn't forget even the smallest details.

But every once in a while on those relentlessly busy summer nights where we worked nonstop so that we couldn't even take sips of water for hours, I would forget. Even simple orders. I would take an order like normal, turn around from the window... and the whole order was in one ear, out the other. I would have to turn back around, apologize, and ask again. It's entirely possible that cashiers just have moments of forgetfulness, their minds busy and tired. I don't doubt that some are bad at math, but not every person you run into at a register who has a "dumb" moment is a total moron who deserves to be ridiculed on the internet.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I think they have given over the responsibility to the register
It is not their job anymore to "make change" in the sense they have to compute the change, they just push out what the register says after they input the money given
Just like they push out the order that comes in from the back to fit what the customer ordered--sometimes w/o paying that much attention...
How many times have you gotten the wrong order at MacDonald's or Popeye's
It happens
Those jobs are thankless and difficult to perform with all due diligence because they do require almost a robotic presence---

Old 01-09-2018, 08:58 PM

855 posts, read 623,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Getting paid minimum wage does not excuse being a moron, which is what you are if you can't do basic addition and subtraction on a scale of 1-100

there's just no sugar coating this, you are a complete moron if you can't process that sort of basic math
Setting aside the irony regarding the moronic in this post...

Some who can't do math in a rushed environment might struggle with
something called dyscalculia. It is to numbers what dyslexia is to
letters.

Do you assume dyslexics are "morons" too?

How about the aforementioned customers who can't seem to,
you know, read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
^ I also don't understand the smug back patting and the apparent need to recite these stories about "that time I confused the cashier at the grocery". Believe me, they just want to get you through the line and out the door. It is a contest to be won only in the mind of a certain kind of customer.
Some simply haven't evolved past the schoolyard mentality, leaving them
with issues that make being mathematically-challenged seem like
nothing in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Could it be that the cashier was waiting for the $11, since the the total was $11.25, and you "gave the girl a quarter"??

I swear, some of you have the most mystifying stories, that prove nothing about the intelligence of a cashier, and more about the customer.
^This.

Any customer who'd pull that stunt with me would succeed only in
making themselves look a bit slow on the uptake.

-

Old 01-09-2018, 09:21 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
lol Good point. How about we talk about entitlement and other attitudes customers have?
Today I had a customer whose Discover Card would not authorize payment for her groceries.

She tried to use that card twice, but it just would not authorize payment for her groceries.

The were a couple of customers waiting in line behind her.

But she chose to text her husband to find out if he had called the number on the back of their Discover Card.

She also wanted to wait for a response from her husband as to what his answer was as well as what Discover Card's answer was.

I ended up asking her if she had another card she could pay with.

She finally paid with another card.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A cashier has to know basic grade-school arithmetic and be familiar with US currency. That's not really asking a lot, but if a person really does not have those skills, they have to find a job that doesn't require them.
I'm not certain about the math requirement, fairly sure our company doesn't require it and both my kids worked for various retail/grocery stores for several years and they were never required to demonstrate any kind of math knowledge. A LOT of our cashiers don't know how to do this type of math/making change and have to be shown, and it's not just the young ones either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
Some who can't do math in a rushed environment might struggle with
something called dyscalculia. It is to numbers what dyslexia is to
letters.
My daughter has been diagnosed with that, you know the one who has done some cashiering? It wasn't a real problem for her as far as cashiering goes, but boy does it mess with her in other ways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships