Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 05:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Quote the part where she says that.
That's how I read it as well. The in-laws contacted their daughter to coordinate their schedules for them to all visit FL at the same time. Otherwise, why contact the daughter and not the OP directly?

If the OP ever comes back, she can clarify what she actually meant.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:14 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
My Husband and I make it plain to both of our families that we don't discuss political and religion.
Good solution.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:23 PM

98 posts, read 134,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I didn't get that they were staying with the OP, just that they wanted to get together for dinners and such. If they want to stay with the OP that is incredibly rude, because they really don't seem to know these people well. Regardless of politics, you don't invite yourself to stay with someone.

Plenty of nice hotels, personally I always find it more comfortable to be in a hotel than someone's home for everyone involved, you socialize and than go back to the hotel. People have different bedtimes and routines.

Perhaps the OP will come back and clarify does she mean staying with them or having a few dinners with them while they're in FL?
Thanks everyone. Actually they would be staying with us. Possibly for a week. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. We know them and have had holidays together when we lived up north near them. I have unfollowed them but my husband hadn't until a few days ago. I feel that I can spend time with them and not talk politics but am afraid that my husband will rise to the bait if it comes up. He still has issues with the FIL for telling him how to cut the Thanksgiving turkey. All of the political stuff started after the 2016 elections. Oh well. All your responses have been duly noted and make a lot of sense.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:51 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieC View Post
Thanks everyone. Actually they would be staying with us. Possibly for a week. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. We know them and have had holidays together when we lived up north near them. I have unfollowed them but my husband hadn't until a few days ago. I feel that I can spend time with them and not talk politics but am afraid that my husband will rise to the bait if it comes up. He still has issues with the FIL for telling him how to cut the Thanksgiving turkey. All of the political stuff started after the 2016 elections. Oh well. All your responses have been duly noted and make a lot of sense.

Possibly for a week? Well that makes it much easier to understand your trepidation! A week can be overload even with best friends. Hopefully you can cut it to 1-2 nights. Maybe start with talking to your son about it & let him talk to your DIL. Good Luck

Old 08-12-2018, 06:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieC View Post

Oh that's totally different Maggie. Why can't they stay at a hotel, they're already getting free airfare?

When I travel to visit people while I have stayed at their homes I prefer a hotel. I don't like worrying about getting up to use the bathroom and making noise, or disrupting their routines.

Did your DIL call you up and ask for her parents to stay with you? Surely the can afford a hotel for a week, they're not paying for their airfare.

No, I wouldn't go along with that, regardless of politics.

This is very nervy.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:03 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,508 times
Quote:
Why are you on their Facebook pages? They're entitled to their views just as you are entitled to yours.

You're going onto their FB pages and getting annoyed because of their politics, don't go on their FB page. That's like someone who watches Fox news watching MSNBC and than getting annoyed, when you know full well their perspective isn't yours. Makes no sense. .
^^^ This. Plus, as I have noticed, many people who have loyalties to opposite political parties aren't tat opposite in real life. I have friends, to whom I can trust my children, from direct opposite ends on political spectrum. Be glad your son found a good woman, and look deeper than the Trump vs. Hillary thing. Your in-laws might not want to discuss politics with you at all, or, maybe it is possible to have a meaningful conversation if both sides tread carefully, and then both can end up happy and enlightened rather than stubbornly squareheaded and in each own's pigeon holes. (I'm rather conservative myself, but I strongly prefer spending my evenings with liberals, as in general they are more fun to talk to).

Old 08-12-2018, 07:10 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
I wouldn't care about the political end of it. We refuse to talk politics with anyone, it makes life much less stressful. However, I would had made sure that the visitors understood that we were unable to house them. We live in a beautiful mountain area. We have had one person invite herself and her husband to stay at our home for several days. They were terrible guests. That was the last time they will ever stay here. Interestingly enough, those who feel that they can invite themselves make the worst house guests. Everyone else who has stayed here (by invite) has been gracious and wonderful guests. If someone asks to stay here in the future, I will direct them to the nearest motel or vacation rental home near us (unless it's a friend on an open invite).

Old 08-12-2018, 07:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
They can post what they want on FB. You don't have to read it. We have the same situation in my family, and everyone knows to just not bring up politics. The "kids" should warn you all not to bring it up when you are together.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
How did you get that?

She went on their FB page and saw their comments.

If someone had a Trump or a Clinton sign on their front lawn and you drive by their house, but they never once mention politics to you, they're not purposely trying to annoy you.

People are allowed to have different politic views and if they can't have a reasonable discussion about it, agree to disagree and stay off politics.

That's what adults do.
You don't have to "go to" someone's page to see their posts. They pop up in your news feed. I did find the wording of the OP odd, as if he/she thinks the in-laws should censor their posts so as not to offend them.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
OP, have you stayed with them when you've visited their area? Have y'all stayed with each other for a week before? I mean, I wouldn't even want my best friend and her husband to stay for a week in my house, counting on me to entertain them.

But if that's what y'all do, then have at it. Just tell your husband that if he engages in political arguments, he is going to pay with a pound of flesh when you're alone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships