Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 12:21 AM

749 posts, read 481,643 times

Advertisements

I was offended. She talks about race a lot. She is insecure about her own race. And she asked me if I was mixed because she said she wants to know if I'm going to relate to the material if I'm partially something. I said, ''maybe I'll partially relate.'' And she answered back with this sarcastic ''okay.''

I just stormed out and have never been so humiliated. Any advice on how to feel better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 12:42 AM

579 posts, read 368,068 times
Tell admin this is unacceptable.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:41 AM

17,727 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I was offended. She talks about race a lot. She is insecure about her own race. And she asked me if I was mixed because she said she wants to know if I'm going to relate to the material if I'm partially something. I said, ''maybe I'll partially relate.'' And she answered back with this sarcastic ''okay.''

I just stormed out and have never been so humiliated. Any advice on how to feel better?
Given the context, I don't understand why this is a problem. I also don't understand your reaction.

It seems like a lot of drama over nothing.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:55 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
How does race impact your ability to relate to the material? What class is this? Was that the reason you were offended or does some one simply asking you what your race was offend you? Do you konw what your race is? I can imagine that would be humiliating if someone asked and you didn't really know much about it.. Not throwing stones here, but i can't relate to this.. of course no one has ever asked me my race, (white) its fairly obvious.

I think the one thing i would say is to take pride in your race, as it appears you do....learn as much as you can about not just your race but your heritage and when some one asks you what your race is in a condescending tone.. you can reply with more info than they want.. make sure they understand how much pride you have in your race and how much knowledge you have about your heritage and i think they will take you more seriously? maybe.. its hard to say but i do know that knowledge is power and the more you have the better you will feel in these situations...

Old 11-15-2018, 07:53 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
What is the course and what is the context of the discussion?

Can you explain why you felt humiliated?

Old 11-15-2018, 08:40 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
It's probably this bizarre church-recruitment group he's gotten into (as an apparent atheist) that was falsely advertised as a "relationships course":

http://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...n-advised.html

Old 11-15-2018, 08:41 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Within the limited context of your post I’d say the teacher was inappropriate. Problem is You reacted without thinking because it took you off guard. It would have been better to ask why she feels that is relevant. To be honest your reaction to walk out doesn’t come across as someone who is mature, confident and comfortable with who they are.

By the way I thought your SnapBack was spot on. Then she said okay and you could have left it at that and let her stew or try to explain why she thought it relevant.

As for the sense of humiliation it is something you need to accept is brought about by your own insecurities.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:20 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
“Nothing I accept about myself can be used against me to diminish me.”

― Audre Lorde

Old 11-15-2018, 09:29 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
What is the course and what is the context of the discussion?

Can you explain why you felt humiliated?
I agree that we need more information from the OP. It sounds like it was an awkward conversation, but if the teacher was trying to include someone that she thought might have first-hand experience with a topic, it was unlikely to have been malicious. That said, I don't understand why it would be humiliating to be identified as mixed race or non-white.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
I know a woman who went to a large state university in the 60s. First in her family to go to college. Polish last name at a time when mostly WASPs went to college. She had a statistics professor who would get the whole class mocking her for her last name, the implication being that she was a dumb Po-lak. It stuck with her for decades.

That's humiliating.

I had a college class - the teacher was asking us where we were from. When I mentioned my small city, she wrinkled her nose and, in front of the class, said "I've only ever seen that city from the train, but it always seems so dingy and dirty. So poor. Is that the case?" (meanwhile she's nodding her head as if expecting me to agree. Newsflash - you can't judge a city by the view around the train station).

That was not humiliating, but bothersome.

Was what happened to you actually humiliating? Well, obviously it was to you. I'm not going to invalidate your feelings there. But, in the scheme of things, that's hardly going to be the "most humiliating" thing that happens to you in school. I would look at why it got to you so much. Only you can control your emotional reaction to such things. If you're proud of who you are and what your heritages are, it really shouldn't bother you so much to be asked if you can identify with a certain race. You don't have to ever answer that question, if you feel it's inappropriate, but a lot of time it's going to be asked with no malicious intent. Decide how you're going to react next time.

Last edited by Mimidae; 11-15-2018 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships