Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:22 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times

Advertisements

Deep breaths. Not everything has to be so complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
why you storm out, just tell them your native american, what they going do call you a liar, that what everybody else does.

or if you are dark complexeted tell them your jewish

be like those other two people, if your white, blemish red hair blue eye freckle white, tell her your black.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:00 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
Since you won't answer basic questions: I am going with you overreacted by storming out.

People are gonna say crap in life we might not like. We have all said ignorant things without meaning harm. Unless she was being malicious and bullying, which it doesn't sound like she was based on LIMITED CONTEXT, just let it go. Life is too short.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:13 AM

405 posts, read 257,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I was offended.

I just stormed out and have never been so humiliated. Any advice on how to feel better?

How to feel better? Quit being so "offended" and "storming" out. Everyone doesn't have an agenda to hurt your feelings. All we hear about anymore is race - it's non-stop, around the clock, yet you take it as a slight when someone mentions it?

Old 11-16-2018, 08:18 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Don't come to Hawaii! That's a commonly asked question.
I was just about to say exactly that.

Quote:
Was it appropriate for the teacher? Really can't tell because the OP does not want to share the details.
Given the teacher's remark about relating to the lesson, apparently she thought it was "race-related."

Quote:
I can think of lots of conversations where it would be germane to the conversation. If someone asked me if I was mixed race, it wouldn't bother me in the least.
Or it could be totally a matter of the teacher actually trying to help everyone fit it.

We're in a time where there are some people who expect you to ask them what gender they want to be referred as--they get upset if you make an "appearance-based gender assumption."

We're in a time where people get in a huff if you don't recognize that they're not just Asian, but Hmong, or not just South Asian but also should have into account their Jain dietary habits...and you should have known all that the moment they walked into the room.

So it should not be a surprise if in a course that touches on race, the instructor would want to figure out where all the racial land mines were in the class.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:21 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
We are so mixed we all look alike.

Grab at least three and mix well: Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Filipino, Polynesian, Portuguese, and add a dash of some random Caucasian flavoring; and, voila!

I am Mexican, Swedish and English, so I blend in.
From my experience in Hawaii, the mo' the mo' betta.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:44 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
From my experience in Hawaii, the mo' the mo' betta.

Boy you got a lot right. I know someone who is essentially Thai, or Vietnamese (it's early and I'm not caffeinated), but if you say that they will snap back they are NOT, they are Tai Dom.... or something like that. I never remember, so I don't say anything.

Or, "I'm NOT Japanese, I'm Okinawan."

Anytime I hear someone saying the races shouldn't mix I laugh. I think Hawaii is proof you should, adorable kids that grow into good looking adults, and everyone is variation of some form of brown.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-16-2018, 09:58 AM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I was offended. She talks about race a lot. She is insecure about her own race. And she asked me if I was mixed because she said she wants to know if I'm going to relate to the material if I'm partially something. I said, ''maybe I'll partially relate.'' And she answered back with this sarcastic ''okay.''

I just stormed out and have never been so humiliated. Any advice on how to feel better?
Why humiliated? That doesn't make sense to me. Why not just say "I don't feel it's your place to ask me that" or whatever. Why storm out? I don't really like answering the question myself, but many patients ask me my heritage, or see my last name on my name tag and ask if I'm Jewish. I answer honestly but I always feel a bit uncomfortable especially as I often work in Catholic facilities. But I am never embarrassed or humiliated and I can't imagine storming out over it. It was inappropriate of her to ask, but It does seem like maybe you have some shame around it as to me the reaction was quite an over-reaction, and especially the feeling of humiliation that went along with it.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:01 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Obviously I don't understand what the big deal is, but as adults, we are perfectly capable of saying "I'm not comfortable answering that question" without upping the drama by running out of the room.

I have some doubts as to whether the teacher truly did respond with sarcasm and an eye roll.

I'm having doubts because Einhander is purposely being vague. Clarification is needed to make sense of all this, but Einhander acts like we're pulling his teeth out.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:06 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Again, it depends on the class, the topic, the readings, the assignments, etc. As I said, we need more context to understand whether the teacher WAS being completely inappropriate or if the OP is creating unnecessary drama. The OP doesn't answer very basic questions that would GIVE us such context ... and of course all we have is his side.
I know that other posters have established that this is not uncommon in certain regions, but I would consider complaining to the dean if a professor did this in a class I was enrolled in, because that is inappropriate in a classroom setting to me and I don't think any context is going to make it appropriate. Maybe we just don't do things like this in Louisiana. I've taught as an instructor and managed to discuss issues of race, class, etc. without involving students' lives and identities. I was once in a poetry workshop wherein other students asked if I was a lesbian because of a poem I wrote, and the professor shut that down immediately. As it should be.

I would still be interested to know the context to know why the teacher thought it would be helpful for her lesson to ask this, though, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships