Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 11:12 PM

6,858 posts, read 4,853,645 times

Advertisements

Are you ashamed of your race? I hope not!

Are you trying to keep it a secret?

I don't know why her question upsets you. It seems an innocent enough question. Could it be you just don't like her and would be offended by most anything she asked you? Whatever the answer, I hope you find peace and happiness in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 02:02 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
OP, I feel for you & hope you can come to a solution that doesn't make things hard for you down the road w/ this teacher. Something kind of similar happened in my life, which you can read in the link below.

And for people who think that a person "must be ashamed of their race" if they don't want to reveal their race, those people just don't get it & may probably never understand because you're NOT a mixed race person yourself. You all need to read this thread & especially my post over there & I explain why which is post #99 on page 10:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...tantly-10.html

What, just because it's not obvious what race we are, we MUST tell people because they ask?! F that! It's none of their business & who are they, the big bosses are something?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
She asked in front of everyone.
Quote:
She asked in front of everyone.
Quote:
I like to just fit in with everyone. Usually I'm not questioned, she seemed nosey. She talks about her own race a lot and even seems to stereotype herself a lot.

And when she tried to put me in that same category, it got me mad, that's what I felt she was trying to do.
This person calls herself a teacher?! Totally, totally inappropriate & downright wrong the way she's being!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 11-16-2018 at 02:13 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 03:37 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
So, what's the point of this thread again?

You just wanted to vent if you're just going to fight with the respondents.
And OP does not want to answer very basic questions so we could actually understand the situation.

For example (as I asked earlier): what is the teacher's race? (The OP says she talks about her race a lot.) What is the OP's race? (Oops, I probably made him uncomfortable again.) What was the "paper" about? What was the reading about that the paper was going to be based on? Answers to all of these would actually give us context for understanding what the OP is trying to say. Without more info, and with his statement about "storming out" and being so uncomfortable, it sounds like he created drama where none was intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Why would an adult think it's appropriate or polite to ask these questions?

How about the drama the teacher might have created by asking the OP their race? What's next--ask students their sexual orientation?
I am a college professor and we talk about issues of race, social class, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, etc. all the time. It's a very appropriate question/discussion in many types of classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
This how you answer that race question. State your race and be proud. It does sound like the teacher was being a jerk about it, if she rolled her eyes and chuckled.
I got the impression that the teacher was chuckling about the "maybe I'll partially relate" response from the OP. But again, he's given us so little to go on ...

Old 11-16-2018, 05:15 AM

749 posts, read 481,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
And OP does not want to answer very basic questions so we could actually understand the situation.

For example (as I asked earlier): what is the teacher's race? (The OP says she talks about her race a lot.) What is the OP's race? (Oops, I probably made him uncomfortable again.) What was the "paper" about? What was the reading about that the paper was going to be based on? Answers to all of these would actually give us context for understanding what the OP is trying to say. Without more info, and with his statement about "storming out" and being so uncomfortable, it sounds like he created drama where none was intended.

I don't want to tell you my race. I don't know what the paper was about, because I stormed out before I read it. She said I might relate to it though.

I am a college professor and we talk about issues of race, social class, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, etc. all the time. It's a very appropriate question/discussion in many types of classes.

Well, she could have discussed this with me privately. She's too race obsessed.

I got the impression that the teacher was chuckling about the "maybe I'll partially relate" response from the OP. But again, he's given us so little to go on ...

Tomorrow I'm going to tell her how uncomfortable she made me.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:38 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
I just stormed out and have never been so humiliated. Any advice on how to feel better?
Get over yourself. While she did ask a dumb question that's an immature way to respond.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:40 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,668,599 times
IMO asking someone are they "mixed" is intrusive.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:43 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
Look, OP, you are kind of a drama queen. You're always taking offense at stuff and overreacting. But I do think your teacher was completely inappropriate. By storming out, you ceded even more power to her. You could have simply made her uncomfortable by saying "That's an inappropriate question. I don't represent people like me - you would only get my perspective, not the perspective of a group. Mixed race people are not a monolith."

One of my classmates from high school is black. I will never forget the discomfort I saw on many faces when during a discussion about race relations, she stood up and said "I don't represent all black people. Stop asking my opinion as a black person."

Old 11-16-2018, 07:04 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
It's possible to have these discussions without asking the students those personal questions too. I managed to earn three (humanities) degrees and participate in many class discussions on these subjects without any of my professors asking me my race, orientation, income, religion, etc. in class. I even took courses called "Contemporary African American Drama" and "Gay and Lesbian Literature" without the professors asking students to reveal personal information about their race or orientation at any point in time.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:09 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
It's possible to have these discussions without asking the students those personal questions too. I managed to earn three (humanities) degrees and participate in many class discussions on these subjects without any of my professors asking me my race, orientation, income, religion, etc. in class. I even took courses called "Contemporary African American Drama" and "Gay and Lesbian Literature" without the professors asking students to reveal personal information about their race or orientation at any point in time.
Again, it depends on the class, the topic, the readings, the assignments, etc. As I said, we need more context to understand whether the teacher WAS being completely inappropriate or if the OP is creating unnecessary drama. The OP doesn't answer very basic questions that would GIVE us such context ... and of course all we have is his side.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:13 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Look, OP, you are kind of a drama queen. You're always taking offense at stuff and overreacting."
+1.

Espcially to those who don't answer his FB messages...

AGAIN, was this in the bizarre free relationship/join our church class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships