Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 05:57 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Personally, I think portioning food for guests is a form of hoarding, or controlling. It is a symptom of how the rationer thinks, more than anything. I’d want to know if such a person rations affection, positive comments, or hugs. Perhaps there is fear about the future. Or perhaps being generous causes anxiety.

I am going to be frank. I would not enjoy being in this type of person’s home, and would avoid it whenever possible.
Could this so called rationing be simply a part of that family lifestyle?
The hosts’s “ pajamas coffee for 3 hours” may have nothing to do with them trying to “control” their guests or “ration” food, but simply shows that the host could be oblivious that some people used to start the morning with breakfast?
They obviously have a lot of time on their hands or took some time off to visit with their guests to chat leisurely in the morning. One of our family relations does the same and I like it.
Some families just eat very little: they probably are slim, could be older and not used to eat larger portions themselves- hence small glasses of milk at dinner - which is a carryover from their childhood- no one I know drinks milk at dinner time anymore.
One burger is enough- the OP mentions all the trimmings to go with it- so technically one can even make a salad if none provided.
Granted, a lot of people used to consume huge quantities of food- or serve huge quantities of food- there is nothing wrong with that at all as well.
Different family just live ( and eat) differently!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 06:01 AM

11,796 posts, read 12,035,581 times
This thread made me recall being invited to a surprise party for a friend about a decade ago. It was at a restaurant about 1.5 hours from my home. I didn't go expecting my meal to be provided for, but as we sat down, a server came out with a basket of nachos, a platter of wings and veggies and dip. For 25 people. I still recall having one wing, three nacho chips with salsa and a few veggies with ranch dip. Figured those must have been appetizers but as time passed, the husband wasn't taking the lead on ordering meals and then the server appeared with a store bought cake. We each had a sliver of cake and that was the end of it. Smiled politely and stopped at McDonald's on the way home so I wouldn't pass out from hunger before I got there.

I would have had a much better time just ordering and paying for my own food rather than being hosted and offered almost nothing to eat.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:08 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'd call CPS.
Agree. That Behavior of kids is not normal.. I would ask kids more questions about the way they eat and would consider alerting someone but only after talking to your friends first and hearing the response- there could be a slight chance that it is done for health reasons? Diabetes? Stomach problems?etc

Last edited by Nik4me; 04-30-2019 at 06:52 AM..

Old 04-30-2019, 06:17 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Everyone who is visiting, specifically invited or not, gets fed at my house. Big meal or snack food, depending on occasion and are welcome to take home any leftovers.

I was hungry a lot growing up. If you say you are hungry or even look like you are, Miss Blue will feed you.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:47 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Night owls? I'm not a morning person, the thought of food before I've been awake for at least an hour is disgusting. And now that my kids are grown I definitely have a lot of down time in the morning since I went to a job that never starts before 11 AM. Night owls live different lives.
I don't eat after I get up either. My normal routine is to get up at 5:00am and stretch. Work out for half our or so, then take my shower and get ready for the day. I usually eat arounf 6:30am.

Your situation though of working nights is not the same as someone getting up and sitting on the sofa in their pajamas for three hours.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Give me a break im talking 1960s and 1970s and my dad worked for pepsi ...back then people did not worry about sugar , salt and fats like we do now .
Back then people were thinner as well.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I rarely eat breakfast or lunch. I prefer to do a brunch around 10:30 and dinner around 7:00. Two meals a day, not three. If I have guests, I will stock fruit, bagels, cream cheese, cereal and cold cuts so they can munch if they want.

The heavy breakfast is an American thing. A continental breakfast is lighter.

A couple times I have cooked a 4 lb. roast only to have a guest slice off 2 lbs. for themselves, when there were 6 people at the table. Any more, I slice and serve the meats to avoid having others left with little or none.
Not a bad way to live. I am not pushing a big breakfast or anything like that. The OP said that food was not offered in the morning. The host did not provide anything other than coffee. You on the other hand are providing something for your guests.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:57 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I don't think rationing is the correct word. More a lack of understanding of providing options lol.

Years ago my boss invited everyone over to her house for a party. We all were in the backyard and she was barbecuing. There was no food as we were sitting around for what I consider cocktail hour. I thought it a bit odd, but dealt with it.

Then it was dinner time. She starts grilling and asks what I want with my burger. I asked her what are the options? Apparently none. You could have a burger, or a burger. Not even cheese. No sides, no lettuce, tomato etc. Just a burger, ketchup and mustard.

Needless to say we left the party early and went out to dinner.

Another time I went to a friend's lake house. I asked if we could bring anything, she said no, we have everything. So I brought a beautiful bouquet of flowers for her. We arrived and there is nothing in the house. No drinks, no food, nothing. I was STARVING. She then has a realization, she probably should have been a bit more prepared. We ended up going out!!

Old 04-30-2019, 09:03 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I don't think rationing is the correct word. More a lack of understanding of providing options lol.

Years ago my boss invited everyone over to her house for a party. We all were in the backyard and she was barbecuing. There was no food as we were sitting around for what I consider cocktail hour. I thought it a bit odd, but dealt with it.

Then it was dinner time. She starts grilling and asks what I want with my burger. I asked her what are the options? Apparently none. You could have a burger, or a burger. Not even cheese. No sides, no lettuce, tomato etc. Just a burger, ketchup and mustard.

Another time I went to a friend's lake house. I asked if we could bring anything, she said no, we have everything. So I brought a beautiful bouquet of flowers for her. We arrived and there is nothing in the house. No drinks, no food, nothing. I was STARVING. She then has a realization, she probably should have been a bit more prepared. We ended up going out!!
What the heck!

I do not like going to one relatives house because she will only have water or weak tea to drink. And by water, i mean tap water.

I usually take other drinks, but seriously, when i've had them over, i would have a separate fridge just for any type of drink imaginable - from soft drinks to Starbucks cold coffee, beer, wine, bottled water - fizzy and none, tea, juices, etc.

I stopped all that after a few years....

Old 04-30-2019, 12:31 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
What the heck!

I do not like going to one relatives house because she will only have water or weak tea to drink. And by water, i mean tap water.

I usually take other drinks, but seriously, when i've had them over, i would have a separate fridge just for any type of drink imaginable - from soft drinks to Starbucks cold coffee, beer, wine, bottled water - fizzy and none, tea, juices, etc.

I stopped all that after a few years....

Some people just have no clue how to host people in their homes. Unfortunately, some of them don't realize it. The bright side is these very entertaining stories exist for our reading pleasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships