Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:47 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Take it?
Honey Im not even going to TOUCH it! Not with tweezers, not with gloves...
All that glitters should not be made with human remains.
LOL, it's a freaky morbid symbolic thing I'm into....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
LOL, it's a freaky morbid symbolic thing I'm into....
Well, whatever tickles your pickle....but maybe, if you do it, think of squeemish people like me and warn people before they examine your " Oh my gosh thats beautiful" ring/necklace/whatever.

And, as an afterthought....( and please forgive me, because this will sound morbid and maybe mean)

But when you pass on, consider taking erm, uh, your loved one/jewelry ( not sure which to call it) with you to wherever you're buried, so that gem collectors like me dont accidentally get ahold of dead people rocks....

I mean, seriously...If I got a diamond that I later found out was made of remains, not only would I freak the heck out, but I'd be stuck.
I cant bring myself to throw somebody into a garbage can or fish tank. Nor would I want that object/person in my gemstone box...Id feel guilty wherever I tried to dispose of it.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,481 times
I didn't read through the entire 22 pages of this thread, but I recently had to pre-plan my mother's funeral for Medicaid purposes. We set up a pre-need trust with a funeral home.

Towards the end of that painful process, I began thinking about my own mortality, and discussed that with the funeral director. He was very understanding, and provided a booklet concerning funeral wishes. He told me that many people fill it out, and send it to him, if only to have something in the file. (He also joked that some people change it around about every 6 mos.) The booklet itself is non-binding, no money changes hands. It's strictly informational only.

So, if you are truly interested, you might want to consider contacting a local funeral director for such a pre-planning booklet.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:20 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Honestly, I don't care what I'll be wearing, if my makeup looks good, etc. I once expressed my desire to be cremated (strictly from a practical standpoint, an urn takes up much less space than a casket!), but my daughter vetoed that idea, saying she wanted to get a huge plaque made for me, etc. Then I told her, "You can do whatever you want, honey." It's true that funerals are comfort for the loved ones left behind (assuming you don't have a dysfunctional family!).

I do have some concern as to how I die, but that's for a different thread.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:53 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,847,281 times
I've thought about it, sure. I think about who would show up and how that would mean who really cared and who didn't. I think about how people would summarize me and wonder if they ever really got the idea of who I was. I think about what outfit they'd put me in and would hope it's something I really like. I wonder if there would be music and what they would choose out of all the depressing songs I like, or if it would be something random that I didn't have any fondness for.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:17 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
After I went shopping for the 1980's party today, I decided I need to hide all of our Halloween costumes before I die or my husband will bury me in them...he's funny like that!

Old 10-17-2008, 04:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
After I went shopping for the 1980's party today, I decided I need to hide all of our Halloween costumes before I die or my husband will bury me in them...he's funny like that!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:55 PM

840 posts, read 3,467,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
That is funny....but I love it!

There is a thread on green living about people doing funerals their own way.
News, A Serious Undertaking. A small, but growing, group of activists seeks to reform the funeral industry.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:07 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,812 times
I haven't read the entire thread and since it is pretty old, I may have already responded with this. I asked my husband once that if/when I die, what would he bury me in (clothes wise). He answered with, I guess whatever you have on, if you liked it good enough to wear, then it must be good enough to be buried in!!!! I told him to just get in touch with my sisters. I'm thinking I'm gonna be cremated, so it will not matter!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I'll be dead. Whoever is left will need the money more than I need a funeral. Burn me, and if you want, go out and have a party. That's what I would want if I was there.

I think our funeral traditions are pretty barbaric. And outrageously expensive. I want to spend the money while I'm alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships