Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 05:11 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times

Advertisements

Yeah, you and I park our cars in the same garage on this one. I've always felt it was a bit self-serving and presumptious of the person posting the "In Menory of..." sticker. Self-serving, because, like you say, yeah, I'm sorry too, but--at the risk of sounding callous--who hasn't lost a loved-one? We all have our tears to shed in this life, and what makes you feel your loss in any more important or greif-worthy than mine?
And "presumptuous" because you're presuming it's OK to bum-out anyone with a normal conscience or feelings of sympathy; in other words, all of us except for the sociopaths. And so it's a bit egotisitical I think to think it OK to dampen my spirits, since "little so-and-so" was just...so...damned..special and important."
Lastly--I never understood why in the wide world of sports anyone would want to post these things. Surely it can't be cathartic, can it?
And $2 and my left nut bet that people who post these are the same ones who are most apt to file those frivolous lawsuits--like the McDOnald's hot coffee woman. (Don't ask me why I make this bet; it's hard to articulate but I think it has something to do with an over-developed sense of self-entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 05:21 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Yeah, you and I park our cars in the same garage on this one. I've always felt it was a bit self-serving and presumptious of the person posting the "In Menory of..." sticker. Self-serving, because, like you say, yeah, I'm sorry too, but--at the risk of sounding callous--who hasn't lost a loved-one? We all have our tears to shed in this life, and what makes you feel your loss in any more important or greif-worthy than mine?
And "presumptuous" because you're presuming it's OK to bum-out anyone with a normal conscience or feelings of sympathy; in other words, all of us except for the sociopaths. And so it's a bit egotisitical I think to think it OK to dampen my spirits, since "little so-and-so" was just...so...damned..special and important."
Lastly--I never understood why in the wide world of sports anyone would want to post these things. Surely it can't be cathartic, can it?
And $2 and my left nut bet that people who post these are the same ones who are most apt to file those frivolous lawsuits--like the McDOnald's hot coffee woman. (Don't ask me why I make this bet; it's hard to articulate but I think it has something to do with an over-developed sense of self-entitlement.
It can be just as annoying to come across a stream of consciousness word salad, but here they are every day in all theire glory. Losing extended amounts of time over it is silly.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:23 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
In line with what others say, in my area I have noticed this is sort of a "young lower class/unskilled blue collar" thing.
Ditto. And the same group tends to have "god bless America", 9-11 and yellow ribbon stickers and magnets plastered on their vehicles. Sort of like rolling billboards.

I also agree that they should put these memorial stickers inside their cars, where they can read them and be reminded of their loss. I have no need to know who has died in their family, and I just see it as a way to beg for sympathy or favours from complete strangers. What a bunch of narcissistic attention wh*res. And it's also very self centered of them to be depressing complete strangers with their personal losses.

As others have said, we have all experienced deaths of loved ones. They are not unique in their loss.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:33 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
On my way to this thread I found a couple of hearts on the floor....a see a few people are missing them here.... How very sad that something so important to someone else and so trivial to someone else can let it ruin your day because it forced you into an emotion...zero tolerance for others I see and this my friends is where the world is going.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
On my way to this thread I found a couple of hearts on the floor....a see a few people are missing them here.... How very sad that something so important to someone else and so trivial to someone else can let it ruin your day because it forced you into an emotion...zero tolerance for others I see and this my friends is where the world is going.
Not everybody is like that. There are some kind and intelligent folk out there. You're one of them.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,412 times
I've never seen this bumper stickers. Maybe they don't have the in Denver. Here we just have stickers that say "We are all Columbine"

Old 12-16-2009, 06:02 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post

This is interesting let us pick apart this statement. "trivial to someone else can ruin your day". You are stating that they put that sticker on their car because it is important to them pronouncing that they lost a 4 year old child, yet is trivial to someone else seeing it. Well obviously it wasn't trivial to me was it because it effected me. So I am suppose to be tolerant? If it was trivial to me I wouldn't have started this thread.

Where the world is headed. Again, this advertising that you lost a loved one on your car is only a recent trend. How did past generations cope then? Is this some new age enlightened way to let go of grief?

Where the world is headed, a person has a right to grieve anyway they want and we must be tolerant about it? These days some decide to grieve by before taking themself out they take as many as they can with them, Virginia tech and such. It use to be if someone wanted it to end they just did it now it is about making others feel as crappy as you do. It use to be you lost a loved one you delt with your pain with family and friends or at least those who chose to be involved and you kept photos and visited the resting place. Now it is about I am in pain and I want as many as I can to know it and feel it, at least that is what I get from it.

This isn't about tolerance, this is about consideration, and the lack of it for others.

I don't *know* you all, but most of us know each other in a sense because we come together and post here, so we are not complete strangers. I would expect that if one of you were feeling pain, remorse or need help to post here and share it. But would you just walk up to the first stranger you see on the street and say "I lost my dear _____ recently"?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:05 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This isn't about tolerance, this is about consideration, and the lack of it for others.
Now that is something I can agree with you on!

Old 12-16-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

I don't *know* you all, but most of us know each other in a sense because we come together and post here, so we are not complete strangers. I would expect that if one of you were feeling pain, remorse or need help to post here and share it. But would you just walk up to the first stranger you see on the street and say "I lost my dear _____ recently"?
I wouldn't put it past a grieving person. My insurance adjuster came to the house yesterday, a man I never met, asked how I was, and I told him point blank. The grieving aren't in their right societal mind. Why you fail to grasp this, I don't know.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:10 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
This was not Virginia Tech and I doubt they were on a mission to hurt someone...they like you were probably driving to work.
I sincerely doubt that when that person got in their car they said to themselves Oh let me go find a guy called Lionking and ruin his day.

Droopy pants bother me but I don't let it ruin my day. Ignorance ruins it though.

What a waste of energy.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships