Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Like most folks who have seen sprawl, some of us would hate to see another great place go to pieces because a few want to make it look like, sound like, and taste like the very place they left because it was so unacceptable..why move someplace to make it like the old place>?
Exactly!

I love the transplants who come here because they like NC, and not just because they wanted a cheaper place to live (where they could take the money from the sale of their house in Jersey and turn it into a mansion here), but wanna turn the new place pretty much into another version of where they used to live.

If you like it here, come... (if you have a job or plenty of money and plan to retire, of course)... add to the diversity here in the Triangle... bring some of what you had back home, just don't attempt to make this place a carbon copy.

If the people who lived here before you came wanted a place like that, they would likely have already created one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 02:54 PM

164 posts, read 357,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Like most folks who have seen sprawl, some of us would hate to see another great place go to pieces because a few want to make it look like, sound like, and taste like the very place they left because it was so unacceptable..why move someplace to make it like the old place>?
You have just the "chip on the shoulder" attitude I am talking about

At what point did I say I wanted to move here to "make it like the old place"?

I will say, I have never lived in an area where people LOOK to be offended so much.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
You have just the "chip on the shoulder" attitude I am talking about

At what point did I say I wanted to move here to "make it like the old place"?

I will say, I have never lived in an area where people LOOK to be offended so much.
Maybe I misread him, but I think it was a general statement about people who DO wanna do that sort of thing.

I know that mine was about that phenomenon.

Yeah... it's weird, but some people wanna make this place into Little Jersey or something. Why leave Jersey if you just wanna make another one?

It's strange.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:43 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
^ For a Job, Warmer Weather (or 4 seasons if from Florida or somewhere), things the place has to offer, etc.

People come here for more reasons than wanting to live the life of the Beverly Hill Billys

Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
^ For a Job, Warmer Weather (or 4 seasons if from Florida or somewhere), things the place has to offer, etc.

People come here for more reasons than wanting to live the life of the Beverly Hill Billys
Huh?

I'm not opposed to transplants. I'm not opposed to new things, either.

I just don't wanna live in a remake of Jersey Shore.

I'm cool with the more urban areas of NC, and with the more rural areas (though I wouldn't wanna live in any of those).

I like trees, sue me.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 AM

164 posts, read 357,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I just don't wanna live in a remake of Jersey Shore.
Can you point out an area of NC that is a "remake of Jersey Shore"?

Even in NJ, that is frowned upon.

We are talking about NC Natived that get angry and offended when you want to introduce something new to them. Nothing more.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:48 AM

22 posts, read 34,692 times
This entire thread has me completely lost. Could someone tell me this: If I wanted to "make" NC into a replica of my native Chicago, exactly how would I even go about doing that? This entire concept is ridiculous, as are people's supposed "fears". It's just small-mindedness and bigotry, nothing more.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
It is natural for transplants to want to take their culture with them. What I have yet to find, though, are transplants trying to shove their culture down the natives throats.
People move the the Triangle for many reasons. Many that leave states like NJ do so because they have been priced out of the state and found a suitable job in the Triangle. When they arrive, they often feel a bit of a culture shock and want to cling to what they are used to. Just give them some time to acclimate and they will either accept what the area has to offer or move.
The bottom line is, though, this in no longer your gran'daddy's Triangle.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
It is natural for transplants to want to take their culture with them. What I have yet to find, though, are transplants trying to shove their culture down the natives throats.
People move the the Triangle for many reasons. Many that leave states like NJ do so because they have been priced out of the state and found a suitable job in the Triangle. When they arrive, they often feel a bit of a culture shock and want to cling to what they are used to. Just give them some time to acclimate and they will either accept what the area has to offer or move.
The bottom line is, though, this in no longer your gran'daddy's Triangle.
I know. I get that part. I understand people want to bring a little of their own culture with them. I even find it refreshing. It's new and different, and I'm not at all opposed to change.

My great grandfather used to ride a horse and buggy down the dirt road that is now highway 64 from Wendell to Raleigh in the wee hours of the morning to conduct business in the Capitol and head back out so he could be home before dark.

I've ALWAYS known this place was constantly changing.

I only ever become alarmed by it when I see every square inch being slowly gobbled up to build tacky tract developments, many of which still don't seem to be selling at a brisk pace or yet another strip mall when that street corner already has them on 3 out of 4 corners.

I know this place isn't just like Jersey Shore. I was kidding.

I would, however, like to ensure that our roads never get so bad as some of the toll roads in NJ.. Or IL for that matter. You could lose a small car in some of those potholes.

My point being: don't label me as a backward hick who calls anyone from up North a "Yankee" (I don't. My mom does. Makes me laugh. What is this? Gone with the Wind?).

Likewise, please let us keep some trees. I really like trees.

We were driving down Morrisville Parkway yesterday, and they've cut down well over a dozen beautiful trees to build what looks like turn lanes. Not sure if it has to do with ParkWest or not, but it was depressing.

Does anyone who came here from some other place that they watched go from being modest and quaint into overbuilt and grimy understand what I'm saying?

I'm not hating on the relos. I'm the black sheep of my otherwise redneck family. I love people who are different. It's interesting and there's always something new to be learned.

Just hoping there's a balance in here someplace. That's all.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:25 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I know. I get that part. I understand people want to bring a little of their own culture with them. I even find it refreshing. It's new and different, and I'm not at all opposed to change.

My great grandfather used to ride a horse and buggy down the dirt road that is now highway 64 from Wendell to Raleigh in the wee hours of the morning to conduct business in the Capitol and head back out so he could be home before dark.

I've ALWAYS known this place was constantly changing.

I only ever become alarmed by it when I see every square inch being slowly gobbled up to build tacky tract developments, many of which still don't seem to be selling at a brisk pace or yet another strip mall when that street corner already has them on 3 out of 4 corners.

I know this place isn't just like Jersey Shore. I was kidding.

I would, however, like to ensure that our roads never get so bad as some of the toll roads in NJ.. Or IL for that matter. You could lose a small car in some of those potholes.

My point being: don't label me as a backward hick who calls anyone from up North a "Yankee" (I don't. My mom does. Makes me laugh. What is this? Gone with the Wind?).

Likewise, please let us keep some trees. I really like trees.

We were driving down Morrisville Parkway yesterday, and they've cut down well over a dozen beautiful trees to build what looks like turn lanes. Not sure if it has to do with ParkWest or not, but it was depressing.

Does anyone who came here from some other place that they watched go from being modest and quaint into overbuilt and grimy understand what I'm saying?

I'm not hating on the relos. I'm the black sheep of my otherwise redneck family. I love people who are different. It's interesting and there's always something new to be learned.

Just hoping there's a balance in here someplace. That's all.
I understand exactly what you are saying. My parents moved us from Michigan to Cherry Hill, NJ when I was 13, in 1964. In 1964 it had a few housing developments, a couple of shopping centers, a mall, no downtown, & the rest of the township was farms & orchards. Over the years the farms were sold & sprouted into more housing develpments, apartments, condos & shopping centers. Now there's about 80K people, & the roads are packed. I can only imagine the shock & horror of natives here who see these changes in 10 or 20 years.

I currently live in Kings Mountain, 30 miles west of Charlotte. It's like Cherry Hill was in 1964. I don't want Kings Mountain to turn into present-day Cherry Hill, but because of the collapse of the mills, I know that there will be some change as businesses are brought in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina