Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

NC: job market for graphic design, affordable towns, reasonable taxes, environment, schools

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:16 PM

10 posts, read 37,723 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

BACKGROUND: I'm including details to help paint a vivid picture and provide an accurate comparison for others in their research:
Originally from outside of Harrisburg, PA, moved to NJ in 1993. I have a wife and one small child. My wife is a stay-at-home mom (which means she works 10 times harder than when she was a product manager at fortune 500 company), and we would prefer her to continue to do so for the time being.

I am Senior Graphic Designer at a Marketing/Design Firm located in northern Jersey. Earn approx. $55,000/yr not including freelance. We are now in a 2 BR apartment. Obviously want a house to call our own..who doesn't? Now starting to market myself for more freelance illustration and design work to supplement income so living near NYC is a potential bonus.

I like NJ. Lots of positives: proximity to beach; Lots to do; racially diverse (should have taken spanish in high school...); my desire to enter illustration market and continue graphic design is benefited by NYC and multitude of businesses in NJ. Seems great except....

COST OF LIVING IS HORRENDOUS. Property taxes are outrageous. Housing is astronomical. Heck, newspapers write stories about NJ. Everyone I know who is married w/kids with a house needs a double income to make it work. Is THAT a quality life? I'll work hard like any parent would, but I do want to see my kid grow up. That so unreasonable? Since I can't bear to send my kid to day care -- which is itself pricey...big shock -- to have double income, we need an alternative. If not for the above problems, we would stay.

The result?
We are considering a move to Philadelphia, Houston (wife has lived there before, seems like a viable option) or Dallas, or NC (apparantly a common choice - actually have friends who are relocating by end of month - but not sure of job market).

Main consideration are these:

1. Job market. Obviously very important. What is the job market for graphic design in NC or surrounding areas? Best city or vicinity for this career?

Obviously the importance of expanding my career/business involves a healthy economy and/or art community and businesses. Insights?

2. Housing. What are the affordable (under $200K reasonable?) and/or up-and- coming towns? Comments? Suggestions? insights?

3. Environment. You native residents..what do you enjoy? What are positives? any general comments? Any info or direction to get info is appreciated.

4. Schools. Obviously important.

I appreciate all your comments and input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 07:07 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,939 times
Default Relocating

We relocated to union county from connecticut 2 years ago....(union county is just south of charlotte) We also have young children and i am a stay at home mom. We were in an overcrowded area in the northeast with horrible schools and outrageous taxes. And you cannot forfget terrible winters!

It was the best move we could have made. We currently make $12,000 more a year here, cost of living is so much better than the north. The schools here have made such a difference for our son. It was nice to see teachers that care about what they do! We have very resonable taxes. The people of the south are so welcoming and nice. I could not imagine living anywhere else.

When we were looking at moving south, we took a few trips to see areas for ourselves. I had it narrowed down to a few towns in cabarrus county and a few in union county. We ended up in union county, which was a great choice. My husband travels into charlotte to work. Generally this is only a 25-35 minute commute. There are many great things for families to do in the area. I hope this helps a little bit!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:11 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
We relocated to union county from connecticut 2 years ago....(union county is just south of charlotte) We also have young children and i am a stay at home mom. We were in an overcrowded area in the northeast with horrible schools and outrageous taxes. And you cannot forfget terrible winters!

It was the best move we could have made. We currently make $12,000 more a year here, cost of living is so much better than the north. The schools here have made such a difference for our son. It was nice to see teachers that care about what they do! We have very resonable taxes. The people of the south are so welcoming and nice. I could not imagine living anywhere else.

When we were looking at moving south, we took a few trips to see areas for ourselves. I had it narrowed down to a few towns in cabarrus county and a few in union county. We ended up in union county, which was a great choice. My husband travels into charlotte to work. Generally this is only a 25-35 minute commute. There are many great things for families to do in the area. I hope this helps a little bit!

It's nice to hear some positive feedback. I'm glad you love it. Nice that your salary increased to. I'm expecting mine will as well.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:43 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,858 times
It all depends on perception.
Some things are cheaper here while others are expensive. You said schools up north are overcrowded, well they arent much better here. Honestly local goverments dropped the ball and are far behind the population increases. By the time more travel lanes or more roads are added, they are already far behind than where they should be.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
It all depends on perception.
Some things are cheaper here while others are expensive. You said schools up north are overcrowded, well they arent much better here. Honestly local goverments dropped the ball and are far behind the population increases. By the time more travel lanes or more roads are added, they are already far behind than where they should be.

That's true a move to NC could be worse than where someone else is coming from. They may not be used to traffic or crowded schools or lower pay.

I have sent people to the Lake Norman area and they didn't like the traffic and all the hustle bustle of the stores. My perception is not as much traffic as what I'm used to, and I like being by stores, but others are coming to NC and wanting something different. There's not much different in the Charlotte area. The area's that are a little slower will not be that way in 2 years. I guess you need to go way out to be the growth.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:57 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
We are relocating from Somerset County (NJ) to Union (NC). Where are you moving from?

SL

Old 09-10-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
We are relocating from Somerset County (NJ) to Union (NC). Where are you moving from?

SL

I'm coming from Gilbert AZ, Phoenix area, moving to Davidson NC. (Cabarrus county right over the Mecklenberg county line)

Old 09-11-2006, 04:49 AM

Default moving to nc

Moving to NC from the Northeast is a change. Be it in the right direction though. The traffic here is nothing to rush hour up north. My travel time to work was over an hour and that was only going 3 towns over! Now it is only 30 minutes and I go 5 miles farther! As for overcrowding in schools here...my sons kindergarten class had 28 students in the north. The larest class my son has been in here is 21. I will take those changes anyday. I know everyones perception will be different on this, but living somewhere you often do not realize how nice it really is.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:59 PM

10 posts, read 37,723 times
Thanks all for your replies.

We are moving from Parsippany, NJ. As I work in Fairfield, the commute is approx. 20-30 min, which is great and seems uncommon for many Jersians. Again, traffic can be bad (Route 80, etc) but if commute in NC is max 40 min, I think that would be fine. Is that reasonable?

Dandevder,
What is your husband's work? It's a long shot, but does anyone have insights into graphic design market in NC? CHarlotte?
What are others fields of business?

I'm aware of the Research Triangle park. How many businesses are located there? My concern is that only a few design firms have those accounts and then what? Everyone else has to fight for work? A concern...

As I'm originally from Piketown (6 miles from Linglestown, about 15 minutes from Hershey), PA. I don't want to be in a "small" town atmosphere where there's nothing to do and NOTHING around (ie. takes 20-30 min to get to "civilization"). Don't want that....BUT never have, never will live IN the city. Suburb kind of person. That make sense?

Thanks for all your input everybody...

Old 09-25-2006, 08:15 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back to you... My hubby works in construction. I do not know much about your profession, but with the way things are growing around here I do no tthink you will have much trouble. I think you will truly enjoy your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina