Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I'm not trying to compare this to the civil rights movement, but didn't most of us feel a lot better when african americans were allowed to marry whoever they wanted?
Had that question been left to the mob to decide it wouldn't have passed.
There is a reason the US has a *representative* government.
The mob has never been reliable to vote support for a minority position.

Quote:
If you look back at the statistics, you can always see what happens when the majority gets the opportunity to decide a minorities fate...it's not fair obviously, and it usually doesn't end up looking pretty.
Yeah, that.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Then can we assume you safely say this because you are not part of the approximately 10% of the population that will be on the receiving end of this message of hatred.

I'm not either, but I sure don't want to be confused with anyone that would send such a demeaning message over what, superstitions from the bronze age.
Classic danger in assuming, pal. I voted against this amendment the day early voting opened. I was simply reacting to an N&O article from yesterdays paper. Your brain is addled from hate, I suppose. Pitiful. You appear to be the hater here, and you do your cause a grave disservice by such moronic posts and ill-conceived assumptions.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 AM

351 posts, read 632,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
You "Hate no one" yet you believe that people who do not share your beliefs should not have the same rights as you. That is bigotry. You believe your belief system is superior...that makes your line of reasoning no different than someone who thinks blacks should not have the same rights as whites because they feel that whites are a superior race.
Bad comparison. There is nothing in the Bible about allowing black people to vote being wrong.

Quote:
Anyone who equates homosexuality with bestiality or pedophilia is an incredibly stupid person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yep, and they are damn proud of their stupidity.
If you're referring to my earlier post, I never did that. Just because they are in the same posting does not mean I equate them to one another. Taking things out of context to try your best to prove your point just weakens your argument.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:05 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post

If you're referring to my earlier post, I never did that. Just because they are in the same posting does not mean I equate them to one another. Taking things out of context to try your best to prove your point just weakens your argument.
You said that homosexuality, beastiality and pedophilia are all sins according to scripture. Your words. I fail to see how I took that out of context.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Bad comparison. There is nothing in the Bible about allowing black people to vote being wrong. .
No, it is a very appropriate analogy. It seems you did not get it, you may want to read that again.

But let's go with your statement. So if the bible did say that "allowing black people to vote [is] wrong, then you would think it is wrong just because the bible says so?

Talk about a weak rationale for one's argument...

Old 05-08-2012, 06:24 AM

164 posts, read 357,864 times
Just voted AGAINST

Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
I forgot to send back my Civitas poll, so there's one anti vote that wasn't included in the poll of early voters (oops)

Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 AM

351 posts, read 632,901 times
Quote:
But let's go with your statement. So if the bible did say that "allowing black people to vote [is] wrong, then you would think it is wrong just because the bible says so?

Talk about a weak rationale for one's argument...
If the Bible DID say "allowing black people to vote [is] wrong", then I would agree and I would vote against allowing black people to vote. But it doesn't come close to anything like that. So you look like someone grasping at anything and everything you can to justify your argument. You're on a weak limb there.

Very, very unconvincing.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
If this goes through i can see Businesses leaving , Tourism dropping and the state will be forever scared.....and this just another reason to slam the Southern states as being hypocrites and backwards....along with uneducated and closeted...

Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Bad comparison. There is nothing in the Bible about allowing black people to vote being wrong.

Ernest, Amendment One has gay marriage in the title. It is already against the law. This amendment takes away the right to all civl unions & domestic partnerships. It will have an effect on gays & straights. It will also have an effect on everyone when companies decline to come here & take their jobs elsewhere.

In my opinion, this amendment is evil & hateful. I believe that it is evil because they use gay marriage as a bait & switch tactic.

Many Democratic & Republican politicians have said that this is bad & should not be passed.

I have seen video of a minister who is for this amendment. He demanded that his congrgation vote for this. Then he told them to beat children if they thought that the child was homosexual.

I also saw video of a minister who is against this. He said that people should vote against this for two reasons. He said that constitutions are for giving rights & not taking them away. He said that the last time that the NC constitution was amended to take away rights was in the 1870s, when inter-racial marriage was made illegal. Then he said that the other reason that he felt that people should not vote for this is that it will hurt people.

There you have the two sides. If you believe in a God of vengence, you will vote yes. If not, the evidence is plainly clear that this should be defeated.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-08-2012 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina