Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times

Advertisements

I won't take the bigotry/discrimination/hate bait because we are not talking about a race of people, we are talking about a sexual preference.

I do think most homosexual people are born that way, but it still will never seem "perfectly natural" to the majority of us that are heterosexual, and I think that is what bothers gay people the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
This is the whole thing. Why are people who are so "progressive" and so "liberated" always so angry and mean to others who don't support their viewpoint, and why can't they seem to accept it when the majority rules by a fair vote and their side loses?

I am an RN and as such have worked with many gay males over the years, since my profession tends to attract them. My experience has been that most of them have suffered from depression, substance abuse, broken relationships, and just plain sadness in general. I haven't known as many lesbians, but the ones that I have known tend to be angry and "in your face" with their tough, masculine behavior. It must be great to be this liberated and progressive.
slightly off topic, but every time I think of the extreme left, what I call "Berkeley's" I think off this:

Marines in Berkeley - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 03/10/08 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Illustrates the hypocrisy perfectly. That said, the hypocrisy exists on the fringes of the extreme right as well.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I won't take the bigotry/discrimination/hate bait because we are not talking about a race of people, we are talking about a sexual preference.

I do think most homosexual people are born that way, but it still will never seem "perfectly natural" to the majority of us that are heterosexual, and I think that is what bothers gay people the most.
Bigotry is the state of mind of a "bigot", a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one who exhibits intolerance or animosity toward members of a group.
Bigotry may be based on real or perceived characteristics, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, nationality, region, language, religious or spiritual belief, political alignment, age, economic status or disability.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Bigotry is the state of mind of a "bigot", a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one who exhibits intolerance or animosity toward members of a group.
Bigotry may be based on real or perceived characteristics, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, nationality, region, language, religious or spiritual belief, political alignment, age, economic status or disability.
To which side of the issue is directed, Sunny. Seems like you called out several of your allies. I am your ally on the issue, but not on the rhetoric.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:39 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
Quote:
I am an RN and as such have worked with many gay males over the years, since my profession tends to attract them. My experience has been that most of them have suffered from depression, substance abuse, broken relationships, and just plain sadness in general. I haven't known as many lesbians, but the ones that I have known tend to be angry and "in your face" with their tough, masculine behavior. It must be great to be this liberated and progressive.
Have you ever considered that this may be because of the tremendous difficulties, opposition, and hate they face every day just trying to live their lives?

Old 05-13-2012, 02:13 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
This is the whole thing. Why are people who are so "progressive" and so "liberated" always so angry and mean to others who don't support their viewpoint, and why can't they seem to accept it when the majority rules by a fair vote and their side loses?
Well, there are a few on the board who are rude. Sometimes it's been in response to being provoked and sometimes it's their personality. But you really can't say that "all" progressive people are angry. Come on, I've met plenty of angry conservative people!

As far as the idea that the majority rules when it comes to civil rights, that's the problem. Something as basic as civil rights should never be subject to popular vote. Once a group has had their civil rights limited, their next option is to take it to the Supreme Court who has to interpret according to the Constitution and Bill of Rights. You won't find anything in the Constitution to justify the amendment.

The people were given the opportunity to vote, but the vote will not ultimately stand in the long run. There will be court cases for sure. I think a lot of people will be explaining to their grandchildren why they were on the wrong side of history.

Future generations will think the prejudice against gays was silly, and a bad chapter of our history. It took the federal government to free the slaves, and later to give them their civil rights. It was only necessary because the citizens failed. Same thing will happen for gays.

Quote:
How depressed would you be if you were looked upon as a second-class citizen?

Maybe the area you live in is a bad environment for gays and lesbians. Another possibility is that since all you see are sick people, it could also be the case that you are only exposed to gays who are going through difficulties. You see less of the healthy happy ones.

I have lived in cities where I worked with gays, and not a single one was depressed, abusing substances, or angry. They were the same as everyone else other than their sexual preference. Maybe some places feel more welcoming than others and result in better attitudes.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post

Er ... you are discriminating because of sexual preference. Where did you get the idea that bigotry only applied to race?

I think you are wrong about what bothers gays the most. They are not concerned with whether their preference seems "natural" to you. They just want to be able to have all the rights and benefits that only come with marriage.

Their concerns are of a practical nature. If you are gay and you become sick or disabled, it's a real problem if you can't be put on your partner's insurance plan, or your partner can't even spend time with you at the hospital.

And that's just one tiny facet of all the benefits that come with marriage that they don't have. Gays need the same legal benefits we all need to structure our lives and protect our family members.

Imagine how galling it is to be prevented from protecting your loved ones, just because other people were given a vote that affects your life.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:46 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Bigotry may be based on real or perceived characteristics, including sex,sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, nationality, region, language, religious or spiritual belief, political alignment, age, economic status or disability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
To which side of the issue is directed, Sunny. Seems like you called out several of your allies. I am your ally on the issue, but not on the rhetoric.
While a low IQ or lack of education due to situation qualify as a disability, willful ignorance based on bronze age superstitions is NOT a disability.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Oh and by the way anyone trying to use poor Mississippi as an example of backwardness is just off base and may never have been to Mississippi.

Hollywood is largely responsible for Mississippis bad reputation. Whenever I have visited Mississippi I found its people to be friendly, and the state in general a pleasant place to visit.
No one is disputing that the people of Mississippi are friendly.

Have you never heard the phrase "Thank God for Mississippi"? I assure you it was not invented by Hollywood or Bev Perdue. It was invented by people in surrounding states.

Urban Dictionary: Urban Dictionary: Thank God for Mississippi

"Mississippi is stereotyped as being at the top of bad categories (crime), and at the bottom of good categories (education). "Thank God for Mississippi" is often used in relief, because statistically speaking, Mississippi will be worse off than your state.

EXAMPLE: When he got the new rankings of primary education by state, the state superintendent of education exclaimed "Thank God for Mississippi" in relief."

Here's a guy in Tennessee using "Thank God for Mississippi" to jokingly point out that they are behind his state in education: http://squatlo-rant.blogspot.com/201...-americas.html

Here's a guy in Arkansas using the phrase: Thank God for Mississippi

Scroll down to see "Thank God for Mississippi" mugs and t-shirts: Urban Dictionary: Thank God for Mississippi t-shirts, mugs and magnets

It's an old southern joke.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
I see part of her point thought touching on above post.
Instead of creating jobs, republicans created this divisive Amendment and cut 1 billion dollars from education.
This state is stepping backwards and not moving forward being progressive leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina