Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:38 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,518,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Child please..... I haven't put up a single list of developments for the city of Charlotte. What I posted were the numbers from Charlotte and Raleigh's downtown reports for 2014. You didn't like the fact that Charlotte's numbers were higher than Raleigh's, so you (surprise surprise) came back with a bunch of if/and/buts about how all of Raleigh's units weren't counted. Here's your quote....

What you don't seem to understand is the fact that many of central Charlotte's efforts didn't make Charlotte's report either.

^^^This is just one example of the redevelopments and infills that are taking place all over central Charlotte and in all directions leading into uptown. These type of for sale redevelopments are obviously close to downtown, but they aren't counted as downtown. In Raleigh, your chamber of commerce would lump this area together with downtown just like they did Cameron Village. Charlotte doesn't do that. If it's more than 1 mile away from the Bank of America building (or outside of I-277), it's not considered "uptown".

Being that Charlotte outgrew Raleigh last year (and Meck outgrew Wake last year), you're going to have a difficult time trying to prove that central Raleigh has more growth than central Charlotte. I've showed you the proof in both links and pictures. Nobody on this thread (not even the Triangle posters) believes you when you say that downtown Raleigh has more growth than central Charlotte. You're entirely alone on this particular argument and you don't seem to notice it.

For the record, I'd gladly give Raleigh his due respect in about 18 months when Charlotte's current boom is expected to slow down. This will be the point when all current/proposed projects are built and Charlotte then has to "digest" them all. I expect Raleigh to have more activity at that point. However, if Charlotte absorbs the new real estate faster than expected, another boom will occur. The real estate game goes in cycles, and you're trying to catch a snap-shot of when Charlotte's activity is less than Raleigh's. Being that Charlotte is the faster growing city right now, you might want to attempt your childish game at another time (18 months from now).
That's a nice little urban housing development. Kinda like this one?

Architectural style makes comeback in Boylan Heights :: WRAL.com

Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:
The following info comes from the 2014 downtown reports of Raleigh and Charlotte.

ISSUU - State of Downtown Raleigh Report 2014 by Carla Chirico

http://files.charlottecentercity.org/CCCP-SoCC2014.pdf
^^^Straight from the most recent downtown reports of both cities. If you wish to add 1,000 random units to downtown Raleigh, go ahead. If you wish to ignore the 1,000-plus units of midtown Charlotte, go ahead. If you wish to pretend as though South End's 3,000-plus units don't exists, go ahead. If you choose to ignore the fact that many of Charlotte's central city projects are omitted as well, go ahead.

Furthermore, if you want to ignore the fact that Charlotte is planning more downtown hotel rooms, go ahead. While you're at it, ignore the ballpark that was just completed uptown. Ignore the mass transit infrastructure improvements. Ignore the CIAA that Charlotte took from boring-arse Raleigh. Ignore it all. That my friend is the definition of a delusion....

A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary. [ 1] As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:26 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times

To be fair, that is rather badly built tract housing. The photo suggests that it's in "uptown" but the picture is cleverly taken to leave out the rather impassable 8 lane interstate highway between it and those skyscrapers. And the areas around this development, if it's where I'm thinking are not places that I would even care to walk into even in the daytime, let alone evening or night.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
^^^Straight from the most recent downtown reports of both cities. If you wish to add 1,000 random units to downtown Raleigh, go ahead. If you wish to ignore the 1,000-plus units of midtown Charlotte, go ahead. If you wish to pretend as though South End's 3,000-plus units don't exists, go ahead. If you choose to ignore the fact that many of Charlotte's central city projects are omitted as well, go ahead.

Furthermore, if you want to ignore the fact that Charlotte is planning more downtown hotel rooms, go ahead. While you're at it, ignore the ballpark that was just completed uptown. Ignore the mass transit infrastructure improvements. Ignore the CIAA that Charlotte took from boring-arse Raleigh. Ignore it all. That my friend is the definition of a delusion....

A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary. [ 1] As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception.
Going by the definition you provided. You may need to seek help. You being "a numbers guy" as you say. You should be able to come up with some real facts. Not some out of date screen shot from your phone. The 1000 or so units as you just put it. You verified. As valid. But then cried they are too far from the capital. Which is meaningless. Was stuck in line waiting on rental car time to go now. So I'll just say this. The CIAA has nothing to do with this. Also a lot of meaningless jibber-jabber proves nothing. For a guy who usually has posts with all kinds of detailed and linked facts. With all kinds of evidence. For some reason you have none of these items. I wonder why???? I think we all know the answer . Just for the record A lot of fast talk with an pitiful attempt to be condescending is not evidence. It's not working. Your not that good son

Old 09-27-2014, 07:01 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

To be fair, that is rather badly built tract housing. The photo suggests that it's in "uptown" but the picture is cleverly taken to leave out the rather impassable 8 lane interstate highway between it and those skyscrapers. And the areas around this development, if it's where I'm thinking are not places that I would even care to walk into even in the daytime, let alone evening or night.
I agree with everything you said except for crossing I-277. It's rather easy to cross via Graham Street.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:27 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,398,598 times
Atown logic:

Charlotte is more than double the population of Raleigh. Metro Raleigh-Cary also has way less people Metro Charlotte.

Look at how many people added in Charlotte's city limit vs. Raleighe city limit.
Don't BS me and "cook" the numbers that because Charlotte has bigger city limits, that's just an excuse why Raleigh is not "on our level"

Or is that logic only applied when Raleigh has 6x more land area?

Downtown Raleigh is the equivalent to center city Charlotte.

Here is a good thread on the Triangle forum about what downtown Raleigh is

The population of Downtown Raleigh?

Old 09-27-2014, 09:49 AM

I also can't understand the logic behind thinking The Triangle is growing so much bigger (only by percent maybe)than Metrolina and the growth is evenly spread among 2 metro regions & a couple other counties and in Metrolina, it's all Charlotte.

Yet at the Same time one can put so much effort into pretending center city Raleigh is the same size and growing the same size as center city Charlotte.

So which is it supposed to be? Majority of urban development occurring in Center city Raleigh or evenly throughout the entire region?

Interesting also that Wake was supposed to have surpassed Mecklenburg, a much smaller county, by now. That hasn't happened. Not only that, Mecklenburg has continued adding more people and is actually growing at a faster percent.

Bigger is not better, so you don't have anything to prove... Downtown Charlotte (Using Raleigh's definition) has more shops, more bars, more stores, more people, more tourist, more residents, more hotel guest, much larger transit system, etc. So what... Y'all have Durham & Chapel Hill & Raleigh. Everyone wins....

I don't see anyone claiming Gastonia to be Durham, which would be entertaining.

I actually think our Transportation system is really telling about which center city area is bigger. And oddly enough, the number of residents in downtown Charlotte VS Raleigh's downtown, the numbers of workers between the two cities, the number of tourist, etc. is about the same difference between how big our transportation systems are

Old 09-27-2014, 09:51 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
I agree with everything you said except for crossing I-277. It's rather easy to cross via Graham Street.
I wouldn't want to walk down that street especially near I-277.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I wouldn't want to walk down that street especially near I-277.

I see plenty of people walking it daily.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I also can't understand the logic behind thinking The Triangle is growing so much bigger (only by percent maybe)than Metrolina and the growth is evenly spread among 2 metro regions & a couple other counties and in Metrolina, it's all Charlotte.

Yet at the Same time one can put so much effort into pretending center city Raleigh is the same size and growing the same size as center city Charlotte.

So which is it supposed to be? Majority of urban development occurring in Center city Raleigh or evenly throughout the entire region?

Interesting also that Wake was supposed to have surpassed Mecklenburg, a much smaller county, by now. That hasn't happened. Not only that, Mecklenburg has continued adding more people and is actually growing at a faster percent.

Bigger is not better, so you don't have anything to prove... Downtown Charlotte (Using Raleigh's definition) has more shops, more bars, more stores, more people, more tourist, more residents, more hotel guest, much larger transit system, etc. So what... Y'all have Durham & Chapel Hill & Raleigh. Everyone wins....

I don't see anyone claiming Gastonia to be Durham, which would be entertaining.

I actually think our Transportation system is really telling about which center city area is bigger. And oddly enough, the number of residents in downtown Charlotte VS Raleigh's downtown, the numbers of workers between the two cities, the number of tourist, etc. is about the same difference between how big our transportation systems are

If uptown was growing so much faster than Downtown was,you should be able prove it very easily and quickly. Given that Charlotte is twice the size of Raleigh it should twice the development going on. Obviously not the case. You should be able to present facts that no one can question. Instead of excuses. A list of projects a page long. Funny thing is you tried that a while ago. It didn't work then. I seriously doubt it will work now. On and on and on. I'll tell you what I told the numbers chef put up or shut up. Big old Charlotte against little old Raleigh. Should only take 5 min to shut me up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina