Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:59 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times

Advertisements

That was from July 13, 2013 and I do not think the author ever set foot in Charlotte.
That was 2 years ago, a lot has changed in Charlotte since then.

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-05-2015 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 12:03 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post
You really sound bitter. Why don't you leave….oh, I guess the pays too good in the Raleigh area. In the meantime chew on this:
Southern Cities : Hidden Treasures - At Home Memphis & Mid South

And this:
15 Reasons Why Charlotte Is The Weirdest
(pay particular attention to the uptown comments. Maybe you should get out more)

Consider yourself schooled
Lol, I was making more money in Charlotte but the pay is good here as well. Even have time to goof off on internet from time to time. Raleigh (Cary with two moderately tall buildings) is your mecca and riding around I-540 all day is being well traveled in your small world. You have nothing to compare it too, it's like being told you're smart until you meet really intelligent people...like in college or on this forum, but you wouldn't know about that having never graduated from any of the great Triangle schools.....but ignorance is bliss.

You have to go to school in order to school anyone. You are child's play, light work and a mental midget but none the less a needed toy to pass by a slow biz day.

Of course I will move soon...but I guarantee all you'll ever know is I-540...not the toll portion, I'm sure you'll never venture to that side, get my drift.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:09 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I'm not sure weighing in on a place you've barely seen any of puts you in any better position than someone who can't get past their hometown shades. I've seen what Virginians think of North Carolina cities and I can't say they're the most objective group of people. I certainly wouldn't feel qualified to judge whether Tulsa or Oklahoma City is better based on my one trip to Oklahoma in my life...

Similarly, I visited Dallas a few times as a kid and Austin and San Antonio once as an adult. I recall having a blast in Austin and being bored to tears in Dallas, but for all I know it could be a very different place now. It's been a long time, and plus I was a kid. The things I could do for fun back then were more limited anyway.
And I haven't said Charlotte is *BETTER* than Raleigh. I've merely said that it has more to offer and is a more influential and important city. I've never been to Oklahoma in my life and I feel pretty safe in saying that Oklahoma City is Oklahoma's premier city with Tulsa being 2nd... just as Charlotte is North Carolina's premier city with Raleigh being second.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:10 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Charlotte appeared in very few of those rankings, in the few they did did appear they were behind Raleigh, shall I repost that entire page of rankings again for you to click through and see for yourself?

I've read about tuna tar tar, been to opinion blogs about it, never had it though, I'm an expert on tuna tar tar! lol ! you're funny

Actually Tulsa is more of a bible town, more like Charlotte than Raleigh I'm afraid. Raleigh doesn't have a lot of mega churches, televangelist museums or major streets name after televangelists nor is Raleigh listed as a top "bible city".

Lots of states have more than one "premier city" as you put it. There's Dallas and Houston, there's LA and SF in California.

Of course had you been to NC more than ONCE IN YOUR LIFE you might know these things

Is it really that dull where you are you have to troll a city site in a state you've only been to once in your whole life? Wow, poor thing.
Dallas and Houston are much closer to each other in terms of influence than Charlotte and Raleigh my friend. With those two cities, there is actual debate as to which city is larger, more important, etc. In North Carolina, no such debate exists.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:40 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Dallas and Houston are much closer to each other in terms of influence than Charlotte and Raleigh my friend. With those two cities, there is actual debate as to which city is larger, more important, etc. In North Carolina, no such debate exists.
Yeah, in every thread in the general forum where people list first or second cities from states, it's pretty much always Charlotte and then Raleigh, in that order, in NC. I think the DNC went a long way towards putting Charlotte on the map in people's minds and showing that a state many people thought of as rural and backwoods had this major-looking city in it. And I would agree that Charlotte is the state's only mid-sized city, at this moment. I consider the other cities in NC to be small cities in the case of Durham, Greensboro, Winston, and large towns in the case of Asheville, Chapel Hill, Wilmington.

Raleigh, in my mind, is in transition. It is somewhat larger than the other small cities in the state and it has the population numbers to claim mid-sized status but not the downtown population numbers...not yet. For me that's what matters. It could gain 200,000 people outside the beltline and that wouldn't change its status, for me personally. I'll start to consider Raleigh a mid-sized city when everything that's currently planned downtown gets built, maybe.

That said, in terms of cultural contributions, one could make arguments that Raleigh's music scene and craft brewing scene are better, but the contributions it makes still have little or no influence outside the state. I do find the arguments the Charlotte folks are using with regards to nightlife a bit dubious (particularly Big Aristotle... who seems to be the Charlotte version of Raleigh540 for the thread though maybe he's just trolling)? Regardless, I do believe that for a city its size, Charlotte's cultural contributions outside the region are small, and that's something they're going to have to work on. Raleigh has to work on beefing up its transit and diversifying its downtown employment (which is still more than 50% state government), and obviously it needs a lot of downtown development to be taken seriously as a major city.

Last edited by Vatnos; 05-05-2015 at 12:53 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 12:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,161,648 times
Quote:
And I haven't said Charlotte is *BETTER* than Raleigh. I've merely said that it has more to offer and is a more influential and important city. I've never been to Oklahoma in my life and I feel pretty safe in saying that Oklahoma City is Oklahoma's premier city with Tulsa being 2nd... just as Charlotte is North Carolina's premier city with Raleigh being second.
More like SF to LA or Dalllas to Houston. But you've only been to NC ONCE IN YOUR LIFE don't you have another city site you can troll where you might at least have some first hand knowledge of what you're talking about ?c

Old 05-05-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
You're first hand knowledge is what exactly? ONCE IN YOU LIFE, lol !! You're just one opinion, at least everyone else here either lives or has visited the cities there're weighing in on

But you're right about one thing, no debate exists, Businessweek has settled it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcnbMwYxpMY

Oh, please note: Raleigh is ranked with the San Frans, San Diegos, Honolulus and DC's of America, not with the Charlottes and the Tulsas, lol ! Would you like a napkin to get that egg off your face?

Old 05-05-2015, 01:32 PM

No. 1: Austin, Texas - In Photos: The U.S. Regions To Watch In 2014 - Forbes

Old 05-05-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Planned Light Rail Systems

Only 3 cities are funded and 20 Partially Funded and all others are unfunded.
Planned Light Rail Systems « The Transport Politicr
From your link: "Some 50 miles of new lines, focusing on a LRT or CR system between downtown Raleigh and downtown Durham, with a possible extension to Chapel Hill; Streetcar networks in Durham and Raleigh possible as well"

Like Union Station and "Central Park", it's coming.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:59 PM

743 posts, read 826,090 times
Quote:
From your link: "Some 50 miles of new lines, focusing on a LRT or CR system between downtown Raleigh and downtown Durham, with a possible extension to Chapel Hill; Streetcar networks in Durham and Raleigh possible as well"

Like Union Station and "Central Park", it's coming.
It might come. Wake hasn't even determined if it will fund transit yet & the Durham line is in the very early stages. But as you can see there is no shortage of communities around the country fighting for a very limited amount of funding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina