Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:39 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
To outright dismiis the article simply becaus eit originated in the NY Times is very short sighted. Though may not carry weight with you, that's fine but you can't deny the weight they carry nationally. Just google the article and see how many other blogs and news sights, without any NC affiliation, have reposted and commented. Look at how many comments the article itself has. Also note that this was front page of the times. NC also made the Washington Post on the same day. They went as far to have video commentary and and an animated short covering the new voting laws. Hilary Clinton has commented as well. These might be local NC issues, but the state has national attention and it is not good. It would be ignorant to think that such things will not have a negative impact on economic and business growth in the state.If you don't agree with the what the paper is saying then you should be even more concerned about what's being reported because that is the image that's going tout to the nation of NC. The bad press in of itself, may prove more harmful than what the state government is doing.
You are so right, macjr82! Thanks to this General Assembly, we are now a laughingstock to the rest of the world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 12:44 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
To outright dismiis the article simply becaus eit originated in the NY Times is very short sighted. Though may not carry weight with you, that's fine but you can't deny the weight they carry nationally. Just google the article and see how many other blogs and news sights, without any NC affiliation, have reposted and commented. Look at how many comments the article itself has. Also note that this was front page of the times. NC also made the Washington Post on the same day. They went as far to have video commentary and and an animated short covering the new voting laws. Hilary Clinton has commented as well. These might be local NC issues, but the state has national attention and it is not good. It would be ignorant to think that such things will not have a negative impact on economic and business growth in the state.If you don't agree with the what the paper is saying then you should be even more concerned about what's being reported because that is the image that's going tout to the nation of NC. The bad press in of itself, may prove more harmful than what the state government is doing.
You are so right, macjr82! Thanks to this General Assembly, we are now a laughingstock to the rest of the world! I hope that we can correct this mistake in next year's mid-term elections because if we don't, we wil rue the day because we had a chance to do something about it, but failed to do so!

Old 08-15-2013, 01:10 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times
As usual, those defending political party afiliations point out scapegoats on the other side (NY, Michigan, California) which does nothing to address the issues in NC, as if they didn't exist. How about discussing the actual issues being reported rather than playing useless spin doctor tactics and finger pointing? Imagine that? Little wonder why most government on every level is as useless as t*ts on a bull being all about party loyalty and elections rather than governing which is the very downfall of the whole system.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:27 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Yes yes, I can't wait to vote a bunch of Democrats into office that will bankrupt the state. Who cares what the NYT thinks? Of course they are going to bash any Republican led state because it is the "in" thing to do right now and it sells papers. And I love the hypocrisy of a liberal paper lamenting the end of "the middle way" when the Democrats and their progressive allies are out to eliminate the Republicans as a political party in NC and elsewhere.
Republicans, by focusing on such regressive policies and consistently and blatantly getting caught up in racism, bigotry and sexism, the Republican future is their own doing. The nation is changing. Millenials and minorities, for the most part, despise Republicanism, especially in its current form. But hey, keep it up and see how long you guys really last.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
NYT typical condescension. The land of Weiner (Carlos Danger) and Sptizer (customer 9).
Sorry but I place little value on their opinions. Especially after New York's stop and frisk policing was found not only unconstitutional but overtly racist.
So it's okay to have crap politicians and terrible policy in NC... because NY does? Sound logic, there.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:42 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Republicans, by focusing on such regressive policies and consistently and blatantly getting caught up in racism, bigotry and sexism, the Republican future is their own doing. The nation is changing. Millenials and minorities, for the most part, despise Republicanism, especially in its current form. But hey, keep it up and see how long you guys really last.
Nice false meme rehashing, I see you used all the standard code words to demonize those you disagree with in order to shut down debate. I'm not sure what "Republicanism" is, but its funny you mention how racist they are when Democrat policies have destroyed black communities for the last 60 years. We'll see how long the Democrats last as millenials and minorities can't find jobs and the warm blanket of liberal government becomes a straightjacket.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Nice false meme rehashing, I see you used all the standard code words to demonize those you disagree with in order to shut down debate. I'm not sure what "Republicanism" is, but its funny you mention how racist they are when Democrat policies have destroyed black communities for the last 60 years. We'll see how long the Democrats last as millenials and minorities can't find jobs and the warm blanket of liberal government becomes a straightjacket.
I actually don't mind old-school Republican ideals. It was far more pragmatic, middle-ground and based on, at the very least, some amount of logic. This socially regressive, extremist stuff is eventually going to tear the party apart. Changing demographics and social ideas don't support this at all, nor do moderate Republicans.

The idea that Democrats have been awful for minorities yet they keep voting for them in large numbers is a claim rooted in the idea that minorities are too stupid to know what's good for them. Is that what you're really saying?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:17 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
Someone named Cheval commenting on the article wrote:
"I worked beside native North Carolinians for years. I served on homeowner's boards with them, worked out with them at the gym, met them over drinks, volunteered with them. And the truth is, Art Pope's money would not have bought as much as it did if it were not spent in reaching people who wanted to hear his message. North Carolina is not a purple state. It's a few isolated purple counties buried in a sea of red. And to continue the thought, the businesses that are moving there, thinking that they'll get blue state values with red state taxes (for example, North Carolina used to be very serious about improving its educational standing, and it has, or at least had, a couple of school systems that were the equal of anything in the nation, and public universities that were Ivy League quality), are going to find that they made a mistake as the Republican's policy agenda starts to bite.
But those "few isolated purple counties" are the largest population centers in the state, while much of that "sea of red" consists of sparsely populated rural counties. NC is truly a purple state, this most recent hard lurch to the right notwithstanding.

Quote:
That's a gross oversimplification of the state of things and doesn't take the historic identities of the parties into account (e.g., pre- and post-Southern Strategy).

Old 08-16-2013, 06:33 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
North Carolina now stands as an example of the new Jim Crow. Jim Crow has always been about finding “justifiable” means of rigging the voting pool to the advantage of the party in power, i.e., poll tax, civic and literacy tests, and now NC has voter ID, elimination of Sunday voting, removing polling places from colleges, not allowing students to vote where they are in school and I am sure a few more.

This is because Republicans know that their ideas cannot win elections on their own merit.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:06 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
As a retired "Yankee" living in NC I am pleased that NC has put public education low on it's list of priorities.

The NJ school tax portion of my taxes were $6,000 and IMO it was well worth it to have my children educated in NJ. Both are in upper management after attending NJ colleges and make enough money to afford high Northeast taxes.
For myself in retirement my total tax bill of $2,200 in NC makes for an enjoyable lifestyle.
So I join in with the Republicans here in not caring about education because I don't need to be paying to educated their kids if they don't care.
Keep the taxes low, if you don't care why should I.

As a side note I feel for the dedicated NC teachers. This probably is not what you signed up for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina