Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Corporate welfare is something both parties do in every state, but NC got to the party a little later than its Southern counterparts and has historically been discerning in terms of making sure that the costs were worth the benefits and including clawback provisions in case companies didn't create as many jobs as they promised. I hope NC doesn't start giving out incentives indiscriminately just for the sake of saying they got a few jobs out of the deal.

So people who may have problems functioning in modern society, like the elderly, shouldn't vote if they meet the criteria for being eligible to vote?

And I'd also say that some of the new rules are indeed restrictive to folks who function just fine in modern society: Access to Boone voting site raised as major concern | MyFOX8.com

There is discussion going on about closing WSSU early voting site too. This early voting site serves the east ward in Winston Salem. 3400 voter voted early at this precinct in 2012. Fight for early voting at WSSU | MyFOX8.com

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-19-2013 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I was referring to the voter ID issue that has everyone in a fit, and by functioning I meant those folks that are living, breathing and have the ability to think and plan.
You'd be wrong. Many people who fall into that category will still find it quite hard to comply with the new stringent ID law.

This law hits many elderly voters in particular quite hard:

Voter Photo ID Laws Hit Older Americans Hard - Voting Rights - AARP
Why New Photo ID Laws Mean Some Won't Vote : NPR
Voters over age 65 most likely to lack voter ID in Pennsylvania - Morning Call
New Identification Laws Impact Senior Voters - AgingCare.com

Old 08-21-2013, 04:01 PM

613 posts, read 746,516 times
Quote:
You'd be wrong. Many people who fall into that category will still find it quite hard to comply with the new stringent ID law.

Nonsense

Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Nonsense
Thanks for a substantial, well-reasoned, well-thought out reply. What a very valuable contribution to this discussion.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:58 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
The "New York Slimes" Reporters are radical left nut jobs. We need to change the way we operate our state. Go Pat!!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:49 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
The "New York Slimes" Reporters are radical left nut jobs. We need to change the way we operate our state. Go Pat!!!!

Pat Pat, He's our guy, I'll cheer for him till the day I die.

It's not a sport. It's politics. I'm not sure why people pick sides and stay entrenched in their "teams" side.

New York Times is home to Mr. Nate Silver. You know, the left wing nut job who kept "skewing" the polls. In fact, most all left Wing nut jobs predicted pretty well (and even gave Romney more wins than he actually got) the 2012 elections.

Now think back to Hannity who always talked about "skewed lame-stream polls" 500 times a day with Karl Rove, Palin, Morris and other guest.

"Here Comes The LandSlide" - Dick Morris Predicts Huge Romney Victory! On Greta - YouTube (and it was everyday. I only watch Fox News really, but I also read New York Times, Washington Post, Charlotte Observer, LA Times, The New Yorker, Chicago Tribune, Charlotte Business Journal).

I say that because, this whole "Go Pat!!" and "New York Slimes" in my opinion distracts from everything you or others from both sides argue, it distracts from the substance of any meaningful conversation and that is the real problem with the way our entire nation operates.

As a "business", as Pat calls our state, we can't tarnish our reputation of being moderate. Most corporations area fairly liberal and located in liberal areas. Look at the long list of corporations who signed on for gay marriage VS. those publicly against gay marriage. General Mills threatened to leave Minnesota if Gay Marriage wasn't passed...

The New York Times brings up a valid point IMO. I voted McCrory/Obama by the way, so no, I'm not some left Wing nut Job. But the pubs are probably going to make me one

Old 08-22-2013, 11:49 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
As a "business", as Pat calls our state, we can't tarnish our reputation of being moderate. Most corporations area fairly liberal and located in liberal areas. Look at the long list of corporations who signed on for gay marriage VS. those publicly against gay marriage. General Mills threatened to leave Minnesota if Gay Marriage wasn't passed...

Who cares about a Moderate, Republican or Liberal reputation?
Who cares about social issues like gay marriage and gun control?
Who cares about General Mills leaving MN?

I don't, but I care about our NC State Business going Bankrupt!

Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,686 times
Quote:

Many elderly receive benefits such as Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, etc which requires a government issued ID, so it shouldn't be an issue. New Hampshire (or maybe Vermont) and Georgia were able to figure it out, I don't see why NC shouldn't be able to.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Many elderly receive benefits such as Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, etc which requires a government issued ID, so it shouldn't be an issue. New Hampshire (or maybe Vermont) and Georgia were able to figure it out, I don't see why NC shouldn't be able to.
Proponents say the new laws can help prevent election fraud, while critics say they'll simply disenfranchise many voters. In any case, the changes may disproportionately affect seniors. About 18% of U.S. citizens 65 and older lack a current, government-issued photo ID, versus 11% of the population overall, according to New York University's Brennan Center for Justice.

While voter identification is not a new concept, the new laws institute stricter requirements. With a number of states now requiring a current, government-issued photo ID, a Social Security or Medicare card won't pass muster. In some states, voters lacking proper ID will be given "provisional" ballots that will only be counted if they show election officials acceptable ID within a few days of the election.

Kiplinger - New Voter ID Laws Could Daunt Seniors
Many seniors may not have current photo ID, especially if they no longer drive. Some states have attempted to make concessions for senior voters, but even some of those can be problematic.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:36 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
I think you're gonna get your wish. Upteen years of progressive, image builidng and positive growth policies instituted by both sensible NC Dems and Repubs are gonna be forklifted by the right wing extremist.

See, those NY/NJ "slimes" and left nut relos to this state have helped transform the perception of NC since the 1970s...consistent and constant growth for over 3 decades for a state that doesn't have a major urban center or being known as a touristy place. It only took them 3 years to destroy that image....

Go Pat! and take some of those GA nut jobs with ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina