Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:02 AM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
As a retired "Yankee" living in NC I am pleased that NC has put public education low on it's list of priorities.

The NJ school tax portion of my taxes were $6,000 and IMO it was well worth it to have my children educated in NJ. Both are in upper management after attending NJ colleges and make enough money to afford high Northeast taxes.
For myself in retirement my total tax bill of $2,200 in NC makes for an enjoyable lifestyle.
So I join in with the Republicans here in not caring about education because I don't need to be paying to educated their kids if they don't care.
Keep the taxes low, if you don't care why should I.

As a side note I feel for the dedicated NC teachers. This probably is not what you signed up for.
I empathize for the kids the most, their the ones getting the sh*t end of the stick. Buy hey, enjoy your retirement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
As a retired "Yankee" living in NC I am pleased that NC has put public education low on it's list of priorities.

The NJ school tax portion of my taxes were $6,000 and IMO it was well worth it to have my children educated in NJ. Both are in upper management after attending NJ colleges and make enough money to afford high Northeast taxes.
For myself in retirement my total tax bill of $2,200 in NC makes for an enjoyable lifestyle.
So I join in with the Republicans here in not caring about education because I don't need to be paying to educated their kids if they don't care.
Keep the taxes low, if you don't care why should I.

As a side note I feel for the dedicated NC teachers. This probably is not what you signed up for.

That is one of the most selfish things I've ever read on here. I don't have any kids period. I rather pay higher taxes for kids to get the education our country deserves.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:45 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The idea that Democrats have been awful for minorities yet they keep voting for them in large numbers is a claim rooted in the idea that minorities are too stupid to know what's good for them. Is that what you're really saying?
No. I was merely stating that Democrat supported policies (i.e. welfare, housing projects) have hurt the very people they claim to help.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:39 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
No. I was merely stating that Democrat supported policies (i.e. welfare, housing projects) have hurt the very people they claim to help.
I see, so increasing corporate welfare while cutting social welfare, cutting unemployment benefits, watering down education and passing restrictive voting rules tailored to make it harder for them to vote is what... helping?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:23 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
That is one of the most selfish things I've ever read on here. I don't have any kids period. I rather pay higher taxes for kids to get the education our country deserves.
My apologies for you not picking up in Northeast sarcasm.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:25 AM

252 posts, read 474,160 times
Quote:
My apologies for you not picking up in Northeast sarcasm.
I'm so glad you said that! I almost posted that she missed the sarcasm this morning, then I re-read & wondered myself. LOL You make an EXCELLENT point with the sarcasm btw. And I'm glad your kids' NE education served them well. I wish more than anything that we valued our future adult population here more.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:49 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
That's one side of the story. When it came to public housing projects, which was part of the wave of urban renewal that forever transformed our cities, at least it sounded good in theory. Such policies were well-intentioned, and for others it was the horrible implementation of policy, like school desegregation, that hurt more than anything. It's worth pointing out that these federal policies were carried out on the state and local level also.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I see, so increasing corporate welfare while cutting social welfare, cutting unemployment benefits, watering down education and passing restrictive voting rules tailored to make it harder for them to vote is what... helping?
1. Corporate welfare was the hallmark of the Democrats (Google & Apple data centers, Dell facility). Cutting social welfare and unemployment spurs people into getting jobs and the state can't continue to pay for these programs endlessly. Well, not without massive tax increases.
2. As for education, the Democrats didn't raise teacher pay either but I guess people forgot about that.
3. The voting rules aren't restrictive to anyone that can function in modern society and it protects the integrity of the system from future harm.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:39 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
1. Corporate welfare was the hallmark of the Democrats (Google & Apple data centers, Dell facility). Cutting social welfare and unemployment spurs people into getting jobs and the state can't continue to pay for these programs endlessly. Well, not without massive tax increases.
Corporate welfare is something both parties do in every state, but NC got to the party a little later than its Southern counterparts and has historically been discerning in terms of making sure that the costs were worth the benefits and including clawback provisions in case companies didn't create as many jobs as they promised. I hope NC doesn't start giving out incentives indiscriminately just for the sake of saying they got a few jobs out of the deal.

Quote:
3. The voting rules aren't restrictive to anyone that can function in modern society and it protects the integrity of the system from future harm.
So people who may have problems functioning in modern society, like the elderly, shouldn't vote if they meet the criteria for being eligible to vote?

And I'd also say that some of the new rules are indeed restrictive to folks who function just fine in modern society: Access to Boone voting site raised as major concern | MyFOX8.com

Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So people who may have problems functioning in modern society, like the elderly, shouldn't vote if they meet the criteria for being eligible to vote?
I was referring to the voter ID issue that has everyone in a fit, and by functioning I meant those folks that are living, breathing and have the ability to think and plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina