Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:56 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times

Advertisements

Sunny et. al. the problem with the rate apps and even Healthcare.gov is I couldn't find a way to get a quote from govco without registering. Let's see, their website is under stress. OK. So in order to to get a quote I have to give my e-mail name and other personal information? Technically that's a bad idea. In general it's a bad idea because there is no business logic that requires a customer to register TO EVEN GET A QUOTE. Does Amazon make you do that? Why or why not?

Yes BCBS will give you a quote but where on healthcare.gov do they tell you this? Instead, if you are dolt enough to just want to know what it costs without forking over private information they tell you to go to Kaiser which was exactly what you did before the site launched. The overhead from registration is unforgivable.

Also, why does our government feel that having facebook and twitter track our visits is a good idea? If you don't log out of those services those companies as well as Doubleclick will know you were there. Why?

Some of my points are general but they should have at least pointed people towards quote websites in NC if they weren't willing to give the data out without registration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Yikes, this was posted in Forbes magazine and says that NC will have the highest rates and be the worst off--tripling rates for women. That's me, I have BCBS private insurance. Article is hard to understand, but hope someone here says it is not true.
Why would NC be so much worse than rest of country?
Double Down: Obamacare Will Increase Avg. Individual-Market Insurance Premiums By 99% For Men, 62% For Women - Forbes
I have private insurance, my current premium will double....BUT that does not count the subsidies that I definitely qualify for.

I think a lot of people are forgetting about the subsidies....

Old 10-03-2013, 08:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I have three friends, self employed, who have received their rates or whatever...I am covered by state so I have not been following it all that close. All three are looking at HUGE rate increases...about 150% more than current premium. THese are the guys that are going public. Certainly not a scientific sample, but.....
Did they find out what their subsidies will be? I think many people are assuming that the rates quoted are the bottom line...but they don't yet take into account income which could very well change those premiums.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Did they find out what their subsidies will be? I think many people are assuming that the rates quoted are the bottom line...but they don't yet take into account income which could very well change those premiums.
If you make over $46K/year you don't get a subsidy, so for many those rates are the bottom line.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
The premium tax credit is an advanceable, refundable tax credit designed to help eligible individuals and families with low or moderate income afford health insurance purchased through the Health Insurance Marketplace, also known as the Exchange, beginning in 2014.

• $11,490 (100%) up to $45,960 (400%) for one individual.
  • $15,510 (100%) up to $62,040 (400%) for a family of two.
  • $23,550 (100%) up to $94,200 (400%) for a family of four.
Questions and Answers on the Premium Tax Credit

Old 10-07-2013, 03:12 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
For the uninsured mavericks out there, the penalty in 2014 (for most folks) is cheaper than buying insurance. Just putting that out there. In 2016 however, things change drastically for the uninsured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina