Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:27 PM

792 posts, read 4,489,020 times

Advertisements

I'm personally against fracking but to say this bill has been rushed through the republican legislature is nonsense. The repubs in NC have been working on this for 4 years, there's never been any ambiguity about how badly the repubs want fracking in NC. And NC citizens overwhelmingly voted for repubs (blatant gerrymandering notwithstanding). Elections have consequences folks. Don't like it? Then make better decisions at the ballot box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 08:51 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post

But on the positive side, according to this map, NC doesn't look like it has much shale gas lands.
Loading FracMapper...
what's there is right smack over the western part of the triangle. GREAT

Old 05-28-2014, 11:20 PM

74 posts, read 112,826 times
My question is, why has this become such a popular thing to do? Do we really need natural gas this desparately that this needs to be done? I keep hearing about it being an issue, not just in NC, but in various places...

Old 05-29-2014, 04:42 AM

412 posts, read 684,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlonthewing View Post
My question is, why has this become such a popular thing to do? Do we really need natural gas this desparately that this needs to be done? I keep hearing about it being an issue, not just in NC, but in various places...
With fracking the oil companies remain relevant and the public is less focused on pushing politicians to pursue clean energy like wind and solar.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
With fracking the oil companies remain relevant and the public is less focused on pushing politicians to pursue clean energy like wind and solar.
I feel like we're living in the Poseidon Adventure and our politicians are trying to lead us to the bow.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:42 AM

412 posts, read 684,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I feel like we're living in the Poseidon Adventure and our politicians are trying to lead us to the bow.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:47 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
I'm personally against fracking but to say this bill has been rushed through the republican legislature is nonsense. The repubs in NC have been working on this for 4 years, there's never been any ambiguity about how badly the repubs want fracking in NC. And NC citizens overwhelmingly voted for repubs (blatant gerrymandering notwithstanding). Elections have consequences folks. Don't like it? Then make better decisions at the ballot box.

"Working on this for 4 years" is not the same as "careful, measured environmental impact and feasibility evaluation". I suspect that the pubs have been too heavily influenced by those with the most to gain (i.e., the energy companies), with inadequate consideration of the potential downsides.

I am not necessarily against fracking. I am against doing it when there's insufficient risk analysis and mitigation, lack of transparency, and too much influence exerted by the energy companies. My gut feeling is that this is a very high risk venture when balanced against the potential return, especially when 1) the companies don't want to tell the public what chemicals they're pumping into the environment, and 2) they want to enact laws that strip landowners of the right to control their land. If the companies were open and up front about the process, the chemicals used, the risks, and the controls in place to prevent catastrophe, then we might find that it makes sense. But that isn't happening, and I think we as citizens have every right to be very concerned.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:42 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,091,305 times
The sobering Gasland 2 documentary really opened my eyes to the environmental dangers of hydraulic fracturing (fracking).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzx7UXzK_z4

Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 AM

I have to add that it's also shocking beyond words that they have moved (are moving?) to disallow disclosure of fracking chemicals. I don't even know what to say - these people live here too - there is something really psychologically unhinged with them.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:11 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

--Cree Indisn prophecy

It will be a sad day in North Carolina when this bill is passed. More and more scientific evidence comes daily showing fracking is harmful both to our health and our water supply.

Will we do this harm to oursevles to create a total of 397 new jobs (according to NC Chamber of Commerce) and for only a six year potential supply of natural gas?

What will we do without clean drinking water? What will that cost to fix?

Let's hope we voters have long memories at election time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina