Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:38 AM

18 posts, read 63,763 times

Advertisements

Do a search on the worst place to live in NC and Fayettville will top the list.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,909 times
We just moved to Fayetteville 3 months ago. The pros... we have a great house in a great neighborhood on the outskirts of town with a nice big yard for my kids to play in and great schools. The cons... its absolutely miserable outside of my neighborhood... restaurant selection and store variety aside you may very well be near-killed trying to drive to said restaurant/store. Skibo Rd. (among its many other names depending on how far down you are on it) is a death-trap. I avoid it like the plague. I have yet to take a single drive down it in the past 3 months without being nearly killed by someone going too fast or pulling out RIGHT in front of me. I equate the drivers on the side roads and at intersections to deer or moose... they sit and wait and you never know until its too late if theyre going to dart out in front of you. It's horrible here... being from california and driving all over that state... Los Angeles has NOTHING on Skibo Rd in terms of danger.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:09 PM

635 posts, read 3,092,838 times
You might consider Sanford itself Since your husband's uncle lives here, come down for a visit and check the place out!

A lot of military families based at Ft. Bragg actually live in Sanford, as it offers a respite from being right near or on base, and Sanford is a good size that presents a small town feel with big town services.

Sanford is a good mid-sized city, that is literally almost centered in the state. It is about 30-60 minutes from Greensboro, Raleigh/Durham, and Fayetteville.

Here is a great map illustrating Sanford's regional location relative to the rest of the state:

http://www.secondcentury.org/pdfs/SC...r-HR-email.pdf

Here are some Sanford links:

City of Sanford, North Carolina - The Official Government Website

Downtown Sanford, INC. | Sanford, North Carolina

Welcome to the Lee County 2nd Century Project (Just announced, and website under development)

There is a lot of investment going on in Sanford capitalizing on its unique location and other advantages. So there is a lot of opportunity, and I think Sanford is only going to keep getting better as we have loads of public and private momentum.

We moved here 3yrs ago from San Jose, CA, by way of a 1yr lease in Cary, and love it.

Sanford isn't perfect of course, but there has been a steady pace of sensitive improvement and investment here that is really making a huge difference, and the ability for the average citizen to get involved and make a difference is something we really appreciate. How often does the mayor or city councilman know your name and wave, or respond to your personal email or phone call? That's something you can't get in a big city.

Check out Downtown Sanford Inc's calendar of events, and come down one day when we've got a free concert or other event at Depot Park downtown. The free concert series has wound up for this season(every Thursday night all Summer), but we'll have other community events around the holidays, and plan to start free movie showings in the park as well in the near future.

And housing is VERY affordable, providing choices from gated golf communities, historic residential districts, to rural acreage... all within a few minutes of each other since the city really isn't that physically large.

And if you like historic homes, we have three National Register residential districts, all eligible for State Historic Tax Credits(Federal as well if income producing). The state credit is 30% of any approved expenditures over $25k. What other program has the state subsidize 30% of your home remodel/renovation? That's quite a deal, but to be fair of course isn't unique to Sanford

Tax credit info:

http://www.hpo.dcr.state.nc.us/tchome.htm

More info on Sanford's historic districts:

http://www.sanfordnc.net/Planning/historic_preservation.htm (broken link)

Good luck with your search!
Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 10-21-2008 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 11:17 AM

39 posts, read 94,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
I really get tired of the "Fayetteville bashing" on here. I've lived in this area my entire life, and would NOT want to live in Raleigh or Charlotte. All areas have their problems, and Fayetteville is no different. But there is MORE than plenty to do here, if you bother to look for it--it's in the newspaper every week. As for crime--there are few places in Fayetteville I don't feel safe--and the ones that are dangerous, I avoid.

Downtown Hay Street is now thriving! We have museums and restaurants, and MANY good schools! Many of the national chain stores in town are the TOP stores in the NATION in sales! And more new stores are coming all of the time!

People always say go to Sanford or Lillington. Well, there's Eastover and Stedman in Cumberland County. They're really growing and within a 20 minute drive into "town" (Fayetteville). And crime is alot less than many other places!
I am glad that there are more positive sounds about Fayetteville, never been to the US but one day I might relocate cause recently met this wonderful guy from overthere and now I was just doing some background research about Fayetteville and found all this negativity which makes me worry whether it is still a good idea to leave everything behind and relocate.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:42 PM

9 posts, read 28,364 times
Fayetteville sucks. I have family there and have lived there for a few years myself. If you're not from Fayetteville and are not over the age of 65, you will NOT like it there.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 AM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
Fayetteville is what you make of it. There's plenty to do if you bother to look for it. I could find a thousand reasons not to live in Raleigh and all that "sucks" about it....

If you look for the negative and focus on it, that's all you'll get.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 PM

25 posts, read 65,844 times
Quote:
Fayetteville is what you make of it. There's plenty to do if you bother to look for it. I could find a thousand reasons not to live in Raleigh and all that "sucks" about it....

If you look for the negative and focus on it, that's all you'll get.
You have to be kidding. I've lived in Southern Pines, Fayetteville, Chapel Hill, and so on. No place, I mean no place has been more run down, crime ridden and generally ugly as Fayettenam.

I've lived around NC, around the U.S. and in Europe and the Middle-East; Fayetteville is possibly the worst of the worst narrowly, only narrowly, beating out parts of Iraq that I spent time in.

I understand you grew up there, but for God's sakes don't bs people who are looking for a decent place to live. It's the pimple on the butt of North Carolina. Awful, just awful.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:24 PM

25 posts, read 65,844 times
Quote:
I really get tired of the "Fayetteville bashing" ///

And crime is a lot less than many other places!
Like where Afghanistan?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:29 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times
This might be an interesting question. How in the world are they putting up house for 170,000 + and there isn't a true industry around town. Just a question. I was looking at IT jobs and there are not a lot of jobs around for Tech folks at all. Maybe I was looking at the wrong site (Monster) or something. If someone can help me out that would be good.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 10,488 times
Default AGREE totally

I agree--the Fayetteville area is not what I expected. Jobs are scarce--people are rude. Shopping selection stinks unless you go to the Raleigh area and who can afford to do that often. Hospital in Fayetteville is the pits. The best grocery store is only located on the South side of town. I would not be here if it weren't for my spouse relocating here. I cannot describe how much I miss where we lived before!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina