Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 08:25 PM

464 posts, read 523,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
He's being facetious. This is a common refrain of his; don't go through all this trouble next time.
Thank you for explaining that for me. Saved me the work

Old 05-11-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
Charlotte being only 2x the size of Raleigh is surprising. It feels like it's 3x or 4x larger. Charlotte is a lot more urban than Raleigh which I like. Raleigh is by no means as major as Charlotte, I feel like Raleigh is just a typical city that happens to have a IT industry. Charlotte on the other hand has multiple industries including IT Finance and Manufacturing.
Obviously Raleigh/Triangle is that new hotness, but I agree Charlotte should be way bigger with all the hype it recieves in this thread. Also, it has NASCAR, Carowinds, and tall buildings. That's a winning combination that can't be beat!

It should have 2million residents over the Triangle area, but its nowhere near that unfortunately

I was hoping it was going to be the Atlanta of NC, but it seems the Triangle isn't letting that happen.
On the bright side it has NASCAR, Carowinds, and tall buildings, so I'm sure it will get there someday soon

Old 05-11-2017, 09:03 PM

719 posts, read 494,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Obviously Raleigh/Triangle is that new hotness, but I agree Charlotte should be way bigger with all the hype it recieves in this thread. Also, it has NASCAR, Carowinds, and tall buildings. That's a winning combination that can't be beat!

It should have 2million residents over the Triangle area, but its nowhere near that unfortunately

I was hoping it was going to be the Atlanta of NC, but it seems the Triangle isn't letting that happen.
On the bright side it has NASCAR, Carowinds, and tall buildings, so I'm sure it will get there someday soon
I know I'm gonna get a smart response but man do you ever stop? Trust me,nobody in Charlotte is concerned about Raleigh or any other city. If you want to believe that Raleigh is better than Charlotte than more power to you...Smh...dang you need a life.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:03 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Frankly I'm curious about what all the "amenities" are that Charlotte has that Raleigh doesn't?
-CIAA.
-NBA.
-NFL.
-NASCAR.
-Two amusement parks with very different themes (Whitewater Center and Carowinds)
-chain amusement centers such as Great Wolf and TOP Golf.
-busier airport with a wider selection of direct flights
-Totally subjective, but Charlotte's geographic location is better (3 hrs to Charleston, 3.5 hrs to Savannah, 3.75 hrs to Atl, 5 hrs to Jacksonville, Fla, 1.75 hrs to Blowing Rock).
-better rooftop dining options.
-better rooftop dance club options (see videos below if you have doubts)

-Overall, Charlotte has a stronger conventions and visitors industry.

There are things that Charlotte and the Triangle have in common, but many of those amenities do not belong to Raleigh. For example, Charlotte and the Triangle have the largest same-sex-couple friendly neighborhoods in the state. In Charlotte's case, those neighborhoods are Plaza Midwood, Noda, Uptown, and South End. In the Triangle, those neighborhoods are in Durham and parts of Orange county; not Raleigh.

The Triangle and Charlotte have comparable downtown venues such as DPAC/Bulls ballpark and Knight Theater/Knights ballpark. However, Raleigh is left out of this scenario as well.

When it comes to shopping, Concord Mills (which is 500 feet outside of Charlotte's city limits) is the most visited mall in the state. The only mall in the Triangle that can be compared to CM is in Durham.

Then there's outlet shopping. Premium Outlets has locations in Charlotte and the Triangle. The Charlotte location has 100 stores; 80 stores can be found at the Triangle location. However, Charlotte's location is in Charlotte on a bus route. The Triangle location is in Smithfield which is not a short trip from downtown Raleigh (or anywhere in Raleigh for that matter). There's also the outlets in Mebane, but that's 50 mins west of Raleigh. That's the same as Charlotte folks driving to Gaffney, SC for outlet shopping.

Also, Charlotte seems to have more lake activites. The Triangle have some of these lake amenities as well, but there seems to be more "action" on Charlotte area lakes. I recently came across a Lake Norman late-night cruise that sounds very interesting. The link below gives the details. I could be wrong, but I don't think these type of events happen on Triangle area lakes. I honestly don't know so I can't speak on it.

Hip Hop and Old School Cruise – June 24th – Queens Landing

I honestly don't have the time to name every amenity you've requested (for the umpteenth time). The short answer to your question is the following:

Wake county-$2.1 billion visitor spending.
Meck county-$5 billion visitor spending.

^^^How/when/why this is the case has been spelled out to you by multiple people. Wake's visitor/tourism industry is more on par with Greensboro ($1.3 billion for Guilford by the way) than it is on par with Meck. As a matter of fact, Meck's visitor spending trumps Wake/Guilford/Durham/Orange combined (look it up).

The amenity question has been answered and substantiated with $$$ FACTS. Let it go man.....

Old 05-11-2017, 09:05 PM

Let's unite Charlotte Crew!

Old 05-11-2017, 09:05 PM

719 posts, read 494,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
-CIAA.
-NBA.
-NFL.
-NASCAR.
-Two amusement parks with very different themes (Whitewater Center and Carowinds)
-chain amusement centers such as Great Wolf and TOP Golf.
-busier airport with a wider selection of direct flights
-Totally subjective, but Charlotte's geographic location is better (3 hrs to Charleston, 3.5 hrs to Savannah, 3.75 hrs to Atl, 5 hrs to Jacksonville, Fla, 1.75 hrs to Blowing Rock).
-better rooftop dining options.
-better rooftop dance club options (see videos below if you have doubts)

-Overall, Charlotte has a stronger conventions and visitors industry.

There are things that Charlotte and the Triangle have in common, but many of those amenities do not belong to Raleigh. For example, Charlotte and the Triangle have the largest same-sex-couple friendly neighborhoods in the state. In Charlotte's case, those neighborhoods are Plaza Midwood, Noda, Uptown, and South End. In the Triangle, those neighborhoods are in Durham and parts of Orange county; not Raleigh.

The Triangle and Charlotte have comparable downtown venues such as DPAC/Bulls ballpark and Knight Theater/Knights ballpark. However, Raleigh is left out of this scenario as well.

When it comes to shopping, Concord Mills (which is 500 feet outside of Charlotte's city limits) is the most visited mall in the state. The only mall in the Triangle that can be compared to CM is in Durham.

Then there's outlet shopping. Premium Outlets has locations in Charlotte and the Triangle. The Charlotte location has 100 stores; 80 stores can be found at the Triangle location. However, Charlotte's location is in Charlotte on a bus route. The Triangle location is in Smithfield which is not a short trip from downtown Raleigh (or anywhere in Raleigh for that matter). There's also the outlets in Mebane, but that's 50 mins west of Raleigh. That's the same as Charlotte folks driving to Gaffney, SC for outlet shopping.

Also, Charlotte seems to have more lake activites. The Triangle have some of these lake amenities as well, but there seems to be more "action" on Charlotte area lakes. I recently came across a Lake Norman late-night cruise that sounds very interesting. The link below gives the details. I could be wrong, but I don't think these type of events happen on Triangle area lakes. I honestly don't know so I can't speak on it.

Hip Hop and Old School Cruise – June 24th – Queens Landing

I honestly don't have the time to name every amenity you've requested (for the umpteenth time). The short answer to your question is the following:

Wake county-$2.1 billion visitor spending.
Meck county-$5 billion visitor spending.

^^^How/when/why this is the case has been spelled out to you by multiple people. Wake's visitor/tourism industry is more on par with Greensboro ($1.3 billion for Guilford by the way) than it is on par with Meck. As a matter of fact, Meck trumps Wake/Guilford/Durham/Orange combined (look it up).

The amenity question has been answered and substantiated with $$$ FACTS. Let it go man.....
Thank you!!

Old 05-11-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
I know I'm gonna get a smart response but man do you ever stop? Trust me,nobody in Charlotte is concerned about Raleigh or any other city. If you want to believe that Raleigh is better than Charlotte than more power to you...Smh...dang you need a life.
Lol, and nobody in Raleigh is concerned about Charlotte. I mean we're 60+ pages in. Charlotte is obviously lacking something, if it takes this many pages to explain how superior it is to Raleigh/Triangle.

You wouldn't dare get this many pages if we were comparing say Atlanta to Savannah or Columbus GA. That's because Atlanta is the CLEAR leader in its State.

Charlotte has a lot of catching up to do, if it wants THE premier area title (without question) in NC. Even the Triad is sizable and growing.

Smoke and mirrors my love...smoke and mirrors

Old 05-11-2017, 09:33 PM

Old 05-11-2017, 09:45 PM

C'mon Queen City! Lol

Old 05-12-2017, 04:17 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Frankly I'm curious about what all the "amenities" are that Charlotte has that Raleigh doesn't? Could you help us all out by explaining what they are. I'll concede light rail and the Whitewater center. I've thrown this question out there quite a few times. Never really received a real answer. The usual response is taller buildings and more urban. I'd consider that kind thin.

Also when comparing south end and Hillsborough street. Most people consider Cameron Village in the Hillsborough street conversation. They're basically the same area. Being developed into one area.
I agree, Charlotte has no street that compares to Hillsborough Street in any neighborhood around uptown Charlotte.

Add a street car line in uptown that is in service and now under new construction to West End to be done by 2020.

Charlotte and Raleigh center cities are not a alike.

Charlotte has a large medical center in center city in Elizabeth and Dilworth neighborhoods.
Education wise Charlotte has Johnson Wales, CPCC, Wake forest MBA, First Ward Elementary School, Trinity Epscopal School. JC Smith University, Carolina School of Broadcasting, King's College and University of South Carolina MBA Program.

Where as Raleigh has NC State area and NC State Govt. complex. Shaw University, Peace University, St. Augustine's College, and others I do not know about. Pullen Park,
I have fun in Pullen Park with family.

There is nothing wrong that the center cities of Charlotte & Raleigh are not a like.

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-12-2017 at 05:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina